Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isepic
May 7, 2002

For all of you that miss whipping the llama's rear end, someone forked Winamp to an OpenSource project:
https://getwacup.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Rexxed posted:

I haven't stopped using winamp for 20+ years, I don't see why I'd stop now.

I haven't used winamp in 20 years because foobar exists.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

W424 posted:

I haven't used winamp in 20 years because foobar exists.

foobar is like the carburated car, mechanical watch, cooking with cast iron, shaving with a straight razor mp3 player

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Did anyone ever release a zune media player clone? Or make a Winamp skin? Maybe it's my nostalgia bit I liked it a lot.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/americanrails/status/1772812947636527271?s=20

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

We had a cat we found on the train tracks when I was a baby, she was named Chessie because of these trains.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

evobatman posted:

foobar is like the carburated car, mechanical watch, cooking with cast iron, shaving with a straight razor mp3 flac player

fixed

Foobar really is the successor to winamp, in terms of customization and expandability compared to other audio players (And in terms of a former nullsoft employee creating it). It's a great piece of software, one I've used for decades at this point. The problem is it lost a lot of the fun and ease winamp offered. Skins are dead simple to make for winamp, but to make foobar look good you're going to have to get your hands dirty with coding.

Foobar is also going through its Winamp 3.0 phase right now with Foobar 2.0 x64, in that many of the classic plugins developed for the older version of foobar haven't been maintained in years and are incompatible with the new version. The community is still very active though, and many of the holes left in the transition are being slowly filled.

Most people don't need 90% of the features offered in foobar though, and in the last few years even I've been drifting towards other players. Plexamp on desktop and mobile is great for spotifying your music collection. Musikcube is a fun command line player that pairs well with a quake style console shell. Last year I sold my pride and joy 70s amplifier and bought a modern NAD Class D amp that uses BluOS as a means of interfacing with it on a mobile device and cuing music up. Foobar has been back benched to take care of tag editing and playing mod files and occasionally to spit out music over my s/pdif cable plugged into my minidisc recorder.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

foobar has album shuffle

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Winamp 3 was so bad that they skipped releasing version 4 and called out version 5 (which was version 3+version 2!!!). I think i still have several backups of the latest version of 2 that wasn't tainted by the online library whatever.

I miss shoutcast streams

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Foobar had a thing where shuffle order was determined once when it was turned on. This caused Tom Petty's Refugee to play like 20 times one night. Someone asked for the song before Refugee a couple times. Then Refugee would come on, someone would complain and ask for the previous song again, which would lead into Refugee again. Eventually I blipped shuffle off and on before the computer got thrown out the window.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I ported my decades-old library earlier this year to MusicBee and after I fixed the 8000 files that couldn't be found I am very happy. I just wanted to keep all my old play counts and other metadata.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've found any kind of autotag feature to be a disaster, and that's not even taking into account some of the obscure stuff that I have. It's a good thing that I got into manually tagging everything back in the early days. It's funny to see the lowres artwork on some of the old files.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sentient Data posted:

Winamp 3 was so bad that they skipped releasing version 4 and called out version 5 (which was version 3+version 2!!!). I think i still have several backups of the latest version of 2 that wasn't tainted by the online library whatever.

I miss shoutcast streams

The real reason they skipped 4 was because nobody wants to show off their Winamp 4 skins.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Guy Axlerod posted:

Foobar had a thing where shuffle order was determined once when it was turned on. This caused Tom Petty's Refugee to play like 20 times one night. Someone asked for the song before Refugee a couple times. Then Refugee would come on, someone would complain and ask for the previous song again, which would lead into Refugee again. Eventually I blipped shuffle off and on before the computer got thrown out the window.

I believe Windows Media Player had deterministic shuffle, so my usual "shuffle all these songs" was always the same order, since it started from the same song.

Sentient Data posted:

I miss shoutcast streams

That was how I watched a bit of MST3K, and also stumbled on a Eurobeat station, as well as No Life Radio, which would just play video game music

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Isepic posted:

For all of you that miss whipping the llama's rear end, someone forked Winamp to an OpenSource project:
https://getwacup.com/

Oh cool so it sucks now?

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Arrath posted:

Did anyone ever release a zune media player clone? Or make a Winamp skin? Maybe it's my nostalgia bit I liked it a lot.

I thought I was the only one haha. I used it for way longer than the physical Zune existed. I stick to Musicbee these days and am happy with it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I believe Windows Media Player had deterministic shuffle, so my usual "shuffle all these songs" was always the same order, since it started from the same song.

That was how I watched a bit of MST3K, and also stumbled on a Eurobeat station, as well as No Life Radio, which would just play video game music

Shoutcast is where I discovered MST3K also. And News Radio. Both have remained favorites to this day.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

with linux it's easy to get visualizers to your favourite streaming services, by the magic of pulseaudio/pipewire

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/artinsociety/status/1773241064087826717?s=20

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_R47LDdlZM

Can't seem to timestamp on mobile, but at the 3 minute mark is a dramatization of the brain imaging method used before the 70s introduced the CT scan. Pneumoencephalography involved injecting air through a lumbar puncture then rotating the patient to bubble the air through the body to improve xray quality. This apparently hurt like hell

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

This reminds me, I used to do a show on a small community radio station that would have the computer play random music whenever there wasn't a show on.

That thing loving loved it some 'Hip To Be Square'. Multiple times an hour.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Man i used to volunteer at my universitys radio station and the director really really wanted me to host a show, because apparently I did really well on the voice test they make everyone do regardless of their role (I was doing IT???) and they needed someone to take over the metal show because the hosts were graduating and noone else knew anything about metal but that show was at like 2am. The city busses didnt even run at that hour also I still had grades to worry about

That was a great volunteer job though. In addition to the IT stuff, their software flagged a bunch of cds for potential purging and I got to go through the CD Basement, listen to them, and decide whether or not the station should get rid of them or put forgotten tracks back into the rotation

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Mar 28, 2024

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

monolithburger posted:

This reminds me, I used to do a show on a small community radio station that would have the computer play random music whenever there wasn't a show on.

That thing loving loved it some 'Hip To Be Square'. Multiple times an hour.

I've never understood why shuffling is such a difficult problem to solve for music players. Even Spotify is terrible at it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The developers of the shuffle feature on the original iPod had a hell of a time developing an algorithm that not only could produce meaningful randomness, but FELT random by actively avoiding emergent patterns that resulted from true randomness but felt un-random to human expectations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, it's genuinely not an easy problem to solve. true randomness will have streaks; a playlist on shuffle with actual randomness might manage to play an entire album start to finish even if it'll freak out the listener and make them think something's wrong

you have to do some sort of dynamic weighting so that streakiness doesn't happen but then also some counterweighting so that the playlist still flows -- but then you ALSO have to do what I think is causing people's issues with smart shuffles and add enough noise so that the weighting doesn't cause the playlist to follow the same path too often whenever you start a new listening session

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The other way is to just pick the next track at random, but then you will inevitably get strings of repeats. Going for some sort of "Random but exclude the last x tracks" kind of works, but you'll still get random patterns that people notice.

Basically, people don't want "random", they want "evenly distributed".

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Killingyouguy! posted:

Can't seem to timestamp on mobile, but at the 3 minute mark is a dramatization of the brain imaging method used before the 70s introduced the CT scan. Pneumoencephalography involved injecting air through a lumbar puncture then rotating the patient to bubble the air through the body to improve xray quality. This apparently hurt like hell

Evidently there were a bunch of different methods to do a PEG… the one most familiar to me is from “the exorcist”

https://youtu.be/HBNdGOQ9Exk

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I liked how the iPod (or was it iTunes? Same poo poo either way) would shuffle its songs in a random order, but would have to play through every track before it could repeat any of them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fergie's gonna be so mad

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Holy poo poo you just solved a mystery I didn't even know I was wondering about. This happens in the book "The Doctor is Sick" by Anthony Burgess.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/ObsoleteSony/status/1773304034553934155?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I still think Spotify just straight up does not shuffle. There's no other explanation why, when I pick any song in a genre, it will then play the exact same songs in that genre in the exact same order every time. If I play, say, the third song in the usual playlist of similar songs, it will still play that song third when the original song ends. I've picked a song, it goes to the similar songs playlist, then I pick a different song in that genre and then plays the exact same songs it just played.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

I still think Spotify just straight up does not shuffle. There's no other explanation why, when I pick any song in a genre, it will then play the exact same songs in that genre in the exact same order every time. If I play, say, the third song in the usual playlist of similar songs, it will still play that song third when the original song ends. I've picked a song, it goes to the similar songs playlist, then I pick a different song in that genre and then plays the exact same songs it just played.

Spotify absolutely has a weird shuffling algorithm that is more complex than "play them in a random order."

I only have one playlist, I pretty much just listen to my playlist of about 2000 songs. There are 2000 songs, and yet I will hear at least three or four of the same songs every single day, despite it being highly improbably if it were truly shuffled.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I miss dedicated music player, I have no place for it anymore but I miss it.

I got 2 underwater bone conduction players your clip onto the swimming goggles. There is no shuffle function at all. I have to click through all of the talkie podcast before I get to the music. Feels like I am using a discman again.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I've never been able to enjoy shuffle on music players because my general eclectic tastes over the years causes most shuffle algorithms to produce awful playlists. Something like going from a female fronted modern pop single to a late 90s death metal track to the middle of a grateful dead concert to a dubstep bemani song into an hour long experimental electroacoustic track followed by dragonforce.

If I could I would pay a human DJ to go through my collection and create custom playlists.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

HKR posted:

I've never been able to enjoy shuffle on music players because my general eclectic tastes over the years causes most shuffle algorithms to produce awful playlists. Something like going from a female fronted modern pop single to a late 90s death metal track to the middle of a grateful dead concert to a dubstep bemani song into an hour long experimental electroacoustic track followed by dragonforce.

If I could I would pay a human DJ to go through my collection and create custom playlists.

I can't shuffle anymore since I have too many concept albums where the tracks need to flow into each other. It's really jarring to have them next to anything else other than the appropriate lead-ins/outs

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HKR posted:

I used to have this elaborate system of interconnecting playlists in iTunes that would feed into a master playlist. I could weight different things like stuff I haven't heard in a long time, stuff I love and want to hear over and over, stuff I've heard too much. It was pretty cool, but what I really wanted was to be able to shuffle albums, not single tracks.

At first I had this ambition to recreate this in foobar (and I believe foobar is capable of doing exactly that, if not better), but I've just been so happy with album shuffle. Closest thing I do is, if I hear an album I want to hear more often, I just manually add it to a manual playlist. When I want to hear those sorts of things, I just play that playlist. When it gets stale, I start a new one.

When I don't feel like starting a new one, I play an old one. The doctorfrog of seven years ago is my human DJ.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Seeing that I am compelled to post this...

Mine is sitting on my coffee table.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I also prefer my remotes to be short and thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Reject shuffle. Embrace full albums, straight through, no skips.

Suffer for your enjoyment of art.