Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Explosionface posted:

I can't shuffle anymore since I have too many concept albums where the tracks need to flow into each other. It's really jarring to have them next to anything else other than the appropriate lead-ins/outs

In iTunes/I'm guessing Apple Music, there's a field called "grouping." Tracks with the same grouping are always played together in shuffle, so you can keep intros/outros together with the other parts as necessary. Might be worth looking into if your music player supports similar functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My wife's car starts playing the first song on her phone Alphabetically when she starts it. So the first 10 seconds of A-Team every drat time. I don't know if that's an iPhone thing or what. But she either deleted that song or added something that starts with a number to play first instead.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Trabant posted:

Reject shuffle. Embrace full albums, straight through, no skips.

Suffer for your enjoyment of art.

okay but what album do I listen to next though

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cojawfee posted:

I still think Spotify just straight up does not shuffle. There's no other explanation why, when I pick any song in a genre, it will then play the exact same songs in that genre in the exact same order every time. If I play, say, the third song in the usual playlist of similar songs, it will still play that song third when the original song ends. I've picked a song, it goes to the similar songs playlist, then I pick a different song in that genre and then plays the exact same songs it just played.

Spotify has this bullshit hidden feature called 'automix' that tries to keep a flow going when you turn shuffle it so it doesn't play songs that clash with each other. You can turn it off in settings and it makes things a lot more random-seeming.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Phanatic posted:

Spotify has this bullshit hidden feature called 'automix' that tries to keep a flow going when you turn shuffle it so it doesn't play songs that clash with each other. You can turn it off in settings and it makes things a lot more random-seeming.

Thank you for this, just turned it off. Was wondering why it would always play 4 songs from the same album, then another 4 songs from a different album instead of mixing songs from different albums.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Visions of Valerie posted:

okay but what album do I listen to next though

Next artist in alphabetical order, next album in chronological order.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Maybe I've never noticed, but I swear I don't have that problem with Windows media player.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

My wife's car starts playing the first song on her phone Alphabetically when she starts it. So the first 10 seconds of A-Team every drat time. I don't know if that's an iPhone thing or what. But she either deleted that song or added something that starts with a number to play first instead.

Wasn't that such a common problem for a while that the best selling song on iTunes was named "_a" something and it was just 5 minutes of silence?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Trabant posted:

Suffer for your enjoyment

No thanks, being raised Catholic was bad enough.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Lord_Arse/status/1773479271152935231?s=20

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

That looks XXXpunk as gently caress. Love the 80s font.

I watched Royal Space Force recently, there were so much hand drawn details in old 80s anime movies. Those guys would rock this bracelet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

different watch but same vibe:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
LEASURE TIME PRODUCTS

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Very few people know about the mixed-signals sequel:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Trabant posted:

that looks like john holmes on the watch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So that guy is wearing a watch with a naked man on it that says "time to gently caress" and he expects that it will be women that he attracts?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

LifeSunDeath posted:

WARNING: DO NOT TRY TO KEEP UP WITH THIS WATCH

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

I love the idea of a guy spending $49.95 on the novelty Time To gently caress watch and just waiting for some hottie to ask him what time it is...and when it finally happens it's five seconds past the time so he has to fill 25 seconds of time before he can lead into the reveal.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

I love the idea of a guy spending $49.95 on the novelty Time To gently caress watch and just waiting for some hottie to ask him what time it is...and when it finally happens it's five seconds past the time so he has to fill 25 seconds of time before he can lead into the reveal.

"What time is it? Ah, a question asked by many through the ages. Aristotle, for instance, suggested that... Anyway here check out my watch quick, QUICK"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Trabant posted:

I know that it's actually the guy's arm, but it REALLY looks like the blonde lady just has a freakishly long arm. I've heard of giving a reacharound, but not from two people away.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I still have one of these, and its 3D successor sitting around here somewhere. I think the 4G support was the main reason I got it, and there was actually 4G service in Austin at the time. I remember showing the kickstand and download speed to a friend by watching a youtube video or something like that at a bar.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SLOSifl posted:

I still have one of these, and its 3D successor sitting around here somewhere. I think the 4G support was the main reason I got it, and there was actually 4G service in Austin at the time. I remember showing the kickstand and download speed to a friend by watching a youtube video or something like that at a bar.

Wasn't it just Sprint's lovely "WiMAX" 4G?
Lol. Just full fuckin' lol at anyone who bought one of those.

It was me, I bought one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SLOSifl posted:

Was that an Evo? or a Hero?

Anyway, I was spinning through randomwaffle, and a few images later I got this?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
When I worked at T-Mobile we sold HTC products and a lot of customers would ask what it stood for. I'd say "Hi-Tech Corporation" and they'd laugh every time. What a boring rear end name.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I only ever had one HTC phone, the One E8, and it was the most embarrassingly anemic phone I've ever had.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

BalloonFish posted:

to be fair, people didn't always have clocks or watches on them back then, so you'd have to ask people that question more often.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Was that an Evo? or a Hero?
Evo and Evo 3D. Looking at it I don't actually see Evo on it though, but that sounds right.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Does anybody really know what time it is?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Time is an illusion.

Lunchtime doubly so.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

credburn posted:

When I worked at T-Mobile we sold HTC products and a lot of customers would ask what it stood for. I'd say "Hi-Tech Corporation" and they'd laugh every time. What a boring rear end name.

Their full name is High Tech Computer Corporation, which I think is even funnier as it's so weirdly unimaginative. Just "we make computers, they're high tech, what of it?"

I had a few HTC phones as I was into "smart" phones way before iPhones/Android was a thing so had a bunch of Windows Mobile ones:

HTC Artemis

This one was pretty fun, as it contained a GPS back when that was still rare. As such, it could run TomTom for in-car navigation without requiring a separate GPS (I did also have a TomTom Bluetooth GPS for that reason before I got this one). Because it was intended for "navigation" they also slapped a bunch of random inputs on it - a jog dial (which generated cursor up/down events, so let you speed through menus/etc.) *and* a little nipple you could use if you didn't want to use the touch screen. The little nipple could function like cursor keys, or you could switch to a mode where a little mouse cursor appeared on the screen you could move around with it, which seemed pretty pointless for a PocketPC. In the end I sold this one to my dad.

HTC Touch Diamond

This one was their flagship briefly, and you can see the Windows Mobile custom homescreen they developed for it resembles the one they also shipped on Android when they started developing those devices. It was nice and all, pretty fast CPU but otherwise a pretty generic PocketPC you couldn't really customise the home screen on because they'd modified it so heavily. Had the 3G videocall stuff, but most notably it came with an extremely good "marble" game where you just had to guide the ball to the destination without falling down any holes, but it somehow had haptics that felt better than even on a modern iPhone, which Apple constantly goes on about as if it's some amazing groundbreaking thing. I sold this one on eBay as I had no money at the time. You couldn't put it down on a table easily because the "diamond" rear case was actually a bunch of angles.

HTC Universal

This one was kind of cool as it was also somewhat high end CPU-wise, but also had a 640x480 screen so it was "high DPI". It had a user-facing camera so it could implement the 3G videocall stuff, on top of the usual build in camera, too. The screen could rotate so you could have a normal "PocketPC" formfactor or a clamshell, with a little hardware keyboard with terrible keys. It was also like half an inch thick, which was way too thick even for the time. I still have this one, though I know the audio no longer works (I believe the audio ribbon cable through the screen joint has failed, so it's probably repairable) and the battery is gone, obviously. I still have this one, though.

I actually have a bunch of non-phone Windows CE devices too.

Edit to add: I once went to the Microsoft Embedded Developer Conference for work, and while I was there, Microsoft did not waste a single moment badmouthing HTC the whole time. I was no fan of HTC beyond they made devices of the sort I wanted to buy (e.g. non Symbian smartphones) but it seemed incredibly unprofessional how they'd just make fun of HTC (who were their literal primary partner for Windows CE, they'd develop new versions in conjunction with HTC for testing on-phone and things), right up there on stage during presentations and things.

One funny thing I remember them mentioning though was a phone with 32Mb of RAM, which should have been plenty at the time, barely working as HTC's video capture driver for the work allocated like 25Mb of RAM on boot and just hung on to it forever.

Charles Ford has a new favorite as of 05:40 on Mar 30, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Timekeeping is a minefield of obsolete and failed technology. We have synchronous time and whatnot, but some absolute morons decided that we should have a prime number of days for the week. And don't even get me started on what the Romans did to the months.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Rappaport posted:

Timekeeping is a minefield of obsolete and failed technology. We have synchronous time and whatnot, but some absolute morons decided that we should have a prime number of days for the week. And don't even get me started on what the Romans did to the months.

13 28 day months with a single worldwide holiday at the beginning. Every 4 years, there's a 2 day holiday instead.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

spookykid posted:

13 28 day months with a single worldwide holiday at the beginning. Every 4 years, there's a 2 day holiday instead.

Holiday goes on the end, to simplify calculations.
(See Euclidean affine functions and their application to calendar algorithms, section 4.)

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

LifeSunDeath posted:

meh, I thought there would be a cheap knockoff on aliexpress. sadly, no :sigh:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Charles Ford posted:

Their full name is High Tech Computer Corporation, which I think is even funnier as it's so weirdly unimaginative. Just "we make computers, they're high tech, what of it?"

That reminds me when my sister was shopping for some appliance and the LG was highly rated among the competition. She lamented the higher price, saying something like "I don't want to pay extra for the LG name."

My response was to chuckle, and say "LG? Lucky Goldstar?" Because almost no one knows the actual name.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/bo2kwuj.mp4

Apparently it has no error detection built in so it will just go on like that until manually interrupted.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Trabant posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bo2kwuj.mp4

Apparently it has no error detection built in so it will just go on like that until manually interrupted.

These work by (for each output digit) subtracting the scaled divisor from the dividend until an underflow occurs (which never happens when the divisor is zero).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Charles Ford posted:

it seemed incredibly unprofessional how they'd just make fun of HTC (who were their literal primary partner for Windows CE
Everybody at Microsoft hated CE, and I’m sure it rankled them that it was a success for somebody else when they thought it was garbage. The Windows CE source is riddled (or was) with comments about how much it sucks.

This is the era where the only group that managed to ship a working upgraded PC OS was the NT team, which was a lot smaller and less ambitious about Great Ideas that were beloved elsewhere in the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

These work by (for each output digit) subtracting the scaled divisor from the dividend until an underflow occurs (which never happens when the divisor is zero).

CuriousMarc has, as always, an excellent video about mechanical calculators and dividing by zero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kd3R_RlXgc