Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Most of the price of a textbook is for the information inside the book (which they would still charge for the eBook license) and not the physical printing of the book. That's why phone books/stacks of magazines are so much cheaper to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
A lot of people (myself included) put their old stereos in the garage to listen to when doing work out there. Usually they still have a tape deck. Its the same concept as making a beer fridge when you buy a new fridge for the kitchen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
People still listen to radio in the car, if they work for a businesses that isn't big enough to have its own corporate radio station, and people doing housework or in the garage. Car listeners can safely call in with a hands-free device or if stuck in traffic (or they can just use their phone like most people do even though they shouldn't). Some people, like my dad, have the radio contest number saved in their phone so they can just tell their phone to dial the number while they get ready in the morning or whatever.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

WebDog posted:

Is there a Homeplug type device for phone lines? It'd be handy as hell routing phones added to a VOIP as you can't use the old wall jacks and rather keep the phones where they are.

I have a pair of non-express PCI cards that say 3Com Homeconnect on them. They're rated for 10M networking and were awesome in 1999. I wouldn't be surprised if you can't find them anymore.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Collateral Damage posted:

Is that... A double tape cassette deck? :aaa::fh:

Don't most boomboxes have two cassette decks for dubbing? Or are you just excited that they freed up more room up front for extra buttons/sliders at the expense of having to stop the tape you're listening to so a second can be loaded?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Konstantin posted:

In flight movies are still a thing? Seems like it would be much cheaper and better to just put in a cheap android device and license Netflix. I guess maybe support it as a legacy solution until you can upgrade, but there is no reason to use some overpriced proprietary system in 2014.

Modern airplanes use a proprietary system where you pick a movie or show off a list and watch it in the headrest in front of you. For a while the double-plug was retained so they could sell headsets, but that's been going away for a while now.

As for being overpriced, a cheap android device and Netflix license would be required for every seat and then require an air-to-ground datalink capable of sustaining bandwidth for up to 660 simultaneous streams on a 747. Also, this assumes that Netflix allows commercial usage without paying through the nose (I haven't read the TOS but probably not) and the android devices would probably need to be swapped out continuously because they aren't designed for continuous commercial use on an airplane, and if they are then we're back to proprietary commercial devices.

Its the same reason hotels have weird proprietary TV systems: because its cheaper to have one cable-box per channel than one cable-box per room.

(Oh, and airlines usually want a movie list that doesn't have tits in it so they don't have parents complaining about the guy next to their toddler watching Orange Is The New Black or Spartacus.)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Code Jockey posted:

Force feedback in general never really interested me until recently, I've got a Logitech G27 wheel and playing Asetto Corsa with it is pretty cool, it's got some really decent feedback. Like I can really feel even the subtle loss of traction from juuuuust barely taking a corner too fast, and my rear end starts sliding.

Then I take the car over the border of the track into the dirt and OH GOD VIBRATION APOCALYPSE IT'S GOING TO BREAK MY DESK

I was going to post about this (although in my case its Gran Turismo and the cheapest wheel Logitech makes). If I unplug power to the feedback motor I can't even keep the car on the track.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

drrockso20 posted:

That is probably the best way to do it, I was asking about non digital cameras for authenticity but yeah your method is probably the better way to go

If you aren't shooting on actual film then its going to look like it was shot on video without running it through a filter. A fancy 4K camera is going to look like video (unless shooting in 24fps and adding grain etc. later) and shooting in VHS is going to look like lovely video. Basically, unless your name is James Cameron, shooting at more than 24fps (without changing it in post) is going to look like it was filmed in some guy's basement no matter what you use to film it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Light Gun Man posted:

As the family tech support for my entire life, gently caress printers forever. Who even needs to print poo poo anymore? It's not the goddamn 90s now, I got no time for Klax and I sure as gently caress don't want to troubleshoot a drat printer.

These "physical media is dead" posts are getting out of control.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Shout out to the cheap laser printers. I have a $50 dollar one I picked up from Fry's and she's still chugging ~8 years later

I loved my $50 Brother laser printer so much that I bought a nicer one when I decided I needed a scanner. Except for the few times when you need to print in color, a cheap laser printer has practically none of the drawbacks of most printers.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Light Gun Man posted:

The only thing I ever print at home is like checklists for videogame bullshit which I could just use my tablet for but a paper and pen is probably quicker anyway. Hardly what I would call a "need to print" situation.

Cool. Not everyone lives exactly the same. If I want to work on my car I can either write down all the torque specifications by hand or I can print out the page from the repair manual that has them all listed. Even better is if I've never done the procedure before and get to choose between getting my tablet covered in grime or printing out the section I'm working on.

I could easily get by without a printer (or internet, TV, cell phone...) but since printing from a laser printer is practically free and takes about 3 seconds per page I don't really have a reason to.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Light Gun Man posted:

Well at least you were wise enough to get a laser. I'm not even a "digital only forever" kind of guy or anything, I just have a long history of unpleasant printer experiences being thrown onto me by other people so I was bitter, sorry.

That's fine. Printers (especially inkjets) can make anyone crazy.

This pun didn't get enough love.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Non Serviam posted:

I've heard that people used to get it from rusty nails, usually from horseshoes. The association persists with rusty metal, even though the origin was the contamination of the nails.

Also since C. tetani can't survive exposure to oxygen it usually needs to enter a deep puncture wound, like from a nail as opposed to whatever random rock/branch you would cut yourself on in nature. The rusty thing has more to do with conditions that would cause a nail to rust also wouldn't be surprising to find soil bacteria.

I had to do a microbiology project about Clostridium tetani once and apparently the teacher's plan worked because I've been educating people against their will about tetanus ever since.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Well, a standard definition TV has a resolution of 720x480 so anything higher than that just makes detail smaller than the television can display.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zaphod42 posted:

What kills me is that all the bitcoin mining has totally hosed up video card sales. Don't you dare buy a used card.

I actually made out like a bandit right after Bitcoiners realized graphics cards were no longer competitive. I got an MSI 280X from eBay and then immediately exchanged it using the transferable warranty so I got a factory refurbished card for about half of the sale price.

Definitely make sure any used card you buy has a warranty tracked by the serial number though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Keiya posted:

And then we'll rickroll Goatse them and they'll just stare at us like we're mad and we'll just nod and say that's what it was like.

FTFY

(In a way Goatse, Tubgirl, LemonParty... made more sense though. "I tricked you into looking at something you wouldn't want to" is easier to explain than "Here's the music video for a decent song you weren't expecting")

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CoolCat posted:

A personal favourite of mine was the MiniDisc.

It felt so futuristic around 2001 time, and I really did feel cool to own one. MP3 players were around, but the ones within my price range were capabe of holding like 10 songs or something daft and the technology of downloading songs for me was alien. I was convinced by marketing that the minidisc would "upgrade" my CD audio on transfer. I must have owend about 5 different players due to breakages - they wern't the most robust things.

I seem to remember a MiniDisc commercial where some guy sets up a halfpipe in his basement, turns on his MiniDisc player (could have been something else, but I'm pretty sure it was MD), drops in on his skateboard and embeds himself in the drop ceiling as soon as he comes up the other side while a narrator says something about how MiniDisc doesn't skip. I have been completely unable to find evidence of this commercial's existence.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's also a big reason U.S. currency no longer has anything larger than a $100 bill. Its a lot harder for a drug dealer to move a pallet of money around than a duffel bag.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ElwoodCuse posted:

What's the current status of laser eye surgery? The way it was advertised always made it seem low-rent and "will it gently caress up your eyes in 10 years? who knows!" If it was a super safe, super easy solution to 20/20 vision for everyone, would it really need to be advertised on buses and FM radio?

They aren't advertising the concept of laser eye surgery, they are advertising a specific doctor that performs the surgery so you'll pay them to perform the procedure instead of a different doctor.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Mixing fuel stabilizer into your gas to prevent it from turning to varnish and keeping the tank topped up so it breathes less during temperature changes (which limits the amount of airborne moisture the ethanol can mix with) solves like 90% of fuel related problems. Or you can get ethanol-free gas (and stabilizer if it'll be around for 30+ days) and not have to deal with it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I used to fuel up my jetski at a walk up pump at a small regional airport.

Why?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm aware of the potential problems with ethanol in gas, I was just wondering why he was using avgas since most two strokes don't even require premium, but it sounds like he was running a higher than usual compression ratio.

Dissolving seals/fuel lines/fuel tanks is really a crap-shoot depending on what they decided to use in your particular machine. I have a riding mower built during the Iran Hostage Crisis that runs just fine while many people had the carbs on their half as old equipment fall apart. I would prefer they go back to paying farmers not to grow anything than mandating that their corn be used to make gas shittier.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
At least this derail is almost about something instead of everyone talking about the particular way they pay for things electronically, the last time they've seen a check, whether their gas pumps can be used hands-free, the best way to wipe their rear end etc.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Plinkey posted:

Buying a whole roll of these on ebay let me eat cheap for like a year in college until they got rid of them/stopped honoring them. I think it came out to like $2.50 for a footlong + drink, after the stamps cost.

e: They were all sequentially numbered too, but no one gave a poo poo.

If I recall correctly, my friend that worked at subway told me they got rid of the stamps because employees were stealing rolls of stamps and selling them on eBay.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I don't think anybody besides teenagers have bought Playboy to look at naked women since at least the mid 70s when more explicit magazines and movies became widely available. I understand their decision regarding the format change since they lose a lot of exposure by being in the "adult material" category, I just wish it wasn't necessary. People don't usually have to have the "no, I watch it for the story I swear" explanation with stuff like Game of Thrones or Spartacus just because they have titties in them.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Antifreeze Head posted:

*Please don't set up a pirate radio station.

My cousin once found a pirate radio station on a road trip that played nothing but Tone Loc's Wild Thing on repeat. He made his passengers listen to it for over an hour of freeway driving until it went out of range. The best one I ever found was a guy doing Michael Winslow style static noises with his mouth (but not as good). The next day the station had a guy quietly repeating "beatbeatbeatbeatbeat" while another guy screamed "THE BEAT" over top of him.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

There were the first anti theft stereos where the whole unit slid out of its chassis. A flip out handle would allow you to carry it around with you. Nobody could steal your stereo but you looked like a tool toting the thing around.

I remember those! My dad had one for his Wrangler so he could keep the radio in the house overnight since soft-top Wranglers were comically easy to break into and stuff would go missing when the neighbors would have a party. He got a second chassis thing for the boat so when we got to the boat launch he could pull the radio out of the Jeep and put it in the boat instead of having to buy a second one.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fo3 posted:

Weirdest place I've seen a DIN is a long long time ago I was buying spare n64 controllers cheap on ebay. Two came with a short lead to a DIN plug, and a DIN - N64 cable.
Maybe they were modified by someone that sold them and also a cable to suit PC? Who knows.

Sounds like the breakaway cables that are designed to pop apart without dragging your console off the shelf if someone trips over the cord. The original X-Box had them but a couple companies made adapters for previous consoles.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Welcome to the future of shopping, courtesy of IBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk

edit: I thought this was from the 90s, but some other site lists it as only about 10 years old.

I'm pretty sure its paying homage to Run Lola Run which came out in '98 so it might be late 90s.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Samizdata posted:

No, I remember it about a decade ago. I was still married at that point as I remember discussing it with my ex who worked in grocery at the time.

About a decade ago was 2005.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Iron Crowned posted:

So far no DRM that I've found as I've downloaded and used them on different machines. I did get a notice that I can only download them from a limited number of devices when I did a download via their Amazon Music App on my phone. I have run across a few odd things here or there that are missing AutoRip, but most things are.

Also, if you deauthorize a device or whatever, it won't let you authorize it again for a few months to keep people from logging into all their friends' computers to share their library instead of just using a thumb drive. Realistically, this hardly ever comes up though and you can still listen to previously downloaded songs because the .mp3 files themselves have no DRM whatsoever (which also lets them work on Napster-era MP3 players).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're yellow passivated not gold plated. It's zinc, noob :smuggo:

(And chromate.)

You aren't very good at making poo poo up to sell counterfeit audiophile gear.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If you still have a CRT in your house, the Dreamcast has a pretty good light gun that's actually a light gun. Plus there are ISOs floating around that emulate all the NES zapper games.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is complaining about the range of electric cars obsolete yet? "I can afford an expensive electric car but, unlike the average person, I am unmarried and only own one vehicle. Too bad I have to drive 2-3 hours away and then come right back without stopping." Thank god nobody ever buys motorcycles, sports cars, or anything else impractical for a road trip.

Oh, and the only people who drive a manual in the U.S. do it because they enjoy it. If anyone (for or against) starts talking about fuel efficiency, acceleration, track times, how manly it is, or maintenance they're just trying to convince other people that 99% of their decision didn't come down to "I do/don't like it".

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Groke posted:

Meanwhile, I grew up in Norway where the prevailing attitude has been that automatic transmissions are for people who are incapable of driving a manual, such as my middle school teacher (paralyzed in one arm) or high-functioning mentally challenged persons (at least it used to be that you could get a driver's license only valid for automatic transmissions, and this used to be mostly for the special ed crowd).

Apparently, though, this attitude is either obsolete or well on its way there, now, automatics are creeping their way into the mainstream market and have been for some time.

Yeah, I came pretty close to accidentally posting that without the "U.S. Only" disclaimer. I always find it interesting how car culture evolved in different areas. Coming out of WW2, most of Europe was on the verge of bankruptcy and with piles of rubble instead of factories. Meanwhile, the U.S. had more manufacturing capacity and money than it knew what to do with and ended up cranking out huge land barges while European car companies were building much smaller/cheaper cars. Now Americans are seemingly permanently stuck with the "biggest car is best car" mentality and since nobody wanted a manual transmission on their Extra Bigass Buick any more than anybody wanted a 2 or 3 speed slushbox automatic on their Hemi Cuda, a manual has become a mark of a True Driver(tm) instead of some 50's housewife who needs her car to shift for her.

Oh, and all those post-war baby boomers would go take their cars to get away from their parents, hang out with friends, go drag racing, and have sex in the enormous back seat at Lookout Point so now cars=freedom too and you'll take them from our cold dead hands (although cell phones and social media are starting to erode that mentality in the young).

Also, if anyone hasn't watched James May's Cars Of The People, you should go do that right now.

poo poo, what were we talking about? Elon Musk being literally the devil or banging atomicthumbs's mom or something?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Trabant posted:

I like TG as much as the next person, but when it comes to electrics I wouldn't trust them one iota. This is the same crew that went to the North Pole, saw a whole bunch of ice, and declared it was doing "just fine" in face of global warming. That's GOP-quality reasoning.

More to the point: even if the car from 1912 had the same range as a Model S or a Leaf, it couldn't do more than 20mph. Or seat five, uh, corpulent modern humans. It didn't have airbags. Or power steering anything. Or... pick whatever modern feature you want. If you built a car to those specs using today's battery tech, you don't think it would have a hugely, fantastically better range?

I know this derail makes me seem like a fanboy, but I drive an IC car from 2005 and I'm not even a Tesla investor like some people here. I just want some proper car comparisons on my comedy forums.

Not to mention how Top Gear (aka The Show Formerly Known As Top Gear, aka Jeremy, James, and Richards Currently UnNamed Tv Show) will complain about an electric car for being impractical and then champion the technological dead end of hydrogen fuel cells (which would admittedly be pretty cool if anyone figured out how to produce, store, and transport hydrogen for the prices/scales required).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Keiya posted:

On the other hand, there's a hell of a lot more places you can plug in a mobile connector than there are gas stations... literally anywhere with a power outlet. Sure, charging off a normal wall outlet is kinda slow, but it's pretty comparable to using a gas can if you plan badly and run out. You can also use the NEMA 14-50 connectors that RVs and campers use for faster charging, and SAE J1772 stations designed for electric vehicle charging are starting to show up too and offer faster charging yet.

If you're going across the middle of nowhere, yeah, you probably want the stupid energy density you get from hydrocarbons. But electric vehicles are starting to be practical for many people, and continuing improvement will make them even more so.

(And if you're really worried, well, throw a portable generator in the back and you can use a gas can, I guess?)

Here, have something related that should be obsolete, but isn't because Japan is insane: NEMA 1 sockets. Jesus christ, it's not like you can't use the plugs in NEMA 5 sockets, it's a fairly common configuration for things that don't need to be grounded in the US.

NEMA 1 sockets are some third-world poo poo. Get it together, Japan.

Wikipedia posted:

Ungrounded NEMA 1-15 sockets have been prohibited in new construction in the United States and Canada since 1962.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I think my SACD experiences had a lot to do with the hardware and speakers hooked up with it being better than most, but I'm still saying that it sounds really good. Gonna have to disagree with the 128kbps thing though. I think 128 definitely sounds noticeably crappier than a the original disc or a good VBR file.

SACD can carry surround channels and will usually sound better with a proper surround setup. As for stereo, CD quality is already better than the human ear can detect.Most people listen to crummy mp3s because they don't even know what good audio sounds like compared to bad audio and/or have really crappy audio equipment.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ColHannibal posted:

The problem is it ops into everything and also uninstalls your programs if it deems them incompatible.

I've never had Windows 10 uninstall any of my stuff, and all the data mining stuff got ported to Windows 7 and 8 but instead of giving you an automatically checked box there just isn't any way to turn it off (at least not without dicking around in the registry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

At the time I got broadband, movie downloading wasn’t a thing. I mean, they were on P2P in the form of multi‐part archives, but no one I knew bothered because of storage limitations, quality problems, inability to play them back on a TV screen, &c..

This was pre‐Bittorrent.

I certainly don't miss the days before Bittorrent. You'd download an entire movie only to find out it was a crappy movie intentionally mislabeled as a good movie. At least if you were lucky. If you were unlucky it would be some sort of disgusting/illegal pornography.