Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

I used to stay up on Saturday night just to watch Beyond 2000. I also had a subscription to Omni magazine.

I had a big crush on Solodad O'Brian at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Awful Library Books has a review of Eyewitness Books "Future" book. A book featuring such modern technology as the compact disk, teleconferencing, and portable televisions.

The book was published in 1998: those things existed by then.

http://awfullibrarybooks.net/the-future-was-yesterday/

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This isn't so much a failed technology as it is a failed business. In the early days of CD's there were companies rented computer games and their manuals. They were sued, the courts ruled it illegal, and the industry collapsed.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That image reminds me of something. Is there any way to clean battery residue off terminals?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I mean small batteries like AA and AAA. I'd like to repair a not-yet obsolete clock radio.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the people from Blossum are up to now.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dial-A-Song is back. Once upon a time you could call a tape-based answering machine and hear a song. It was a way to listen to music for free in the days before youtube and bittorrent. Now it's back and...probably all digital now. Feel free to call (844) 387-6962 to relive the years from 1983 to 2006!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

m2pt5 posted:

:ssh: The same song as on the phone number can be heard (in better quality) on DialASong.com.

Edit: Or their Youtube channel.

The point is they've brought back an obsolete way to share their music, albeit updated for the digital age.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a piece of obsolete technology that needs replacing. It's the Netis WF2190 Wireless AC1200 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter. It cost $50 from Fry's a few months back and it was made obsolete the moment I installed windows 10.

The adapters were sold starting about two years ago but driver support for them stopped one year ago with windows 8.1.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

It'll probably be too late by the time I get a reply if the answer is yes, but will anything bad happen if I clean a bunch of C64 stuff with disinfectant wipes? Pics coming when I'm done. :)

I read that as C4 and dreaded both the inevitable explosion during the cleaning and whatever your nefarious intent was.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

doodlebugs posted:

The Quaser, a 1960s car made out of glass.

I had to keep reminding myself that wasn't a parody video.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Emusic still exists somehow.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Here's a comedy sketch that celebrates the only pure music out there: 1920's megaphone crooners as heard from a miniature Victorola.

https://youtu.be/SzaskxXkWXs

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Star wars had a similar game feature ing the millennium falcon I'd I remember right.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Intoluene posted:

This is an absolutely pro click.

There's a reason why Leroy Anderson is one of my favorite composers. He had fun with his music.

Waltzing Cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOlG8Ut-gTc

Bugler's Holiday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAj01fFVYVI

Syncopated Clock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XculUOVU3sw

This is my personal favorite, Arietta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpXfYm_uh3A

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I want to try a raspberry rootbeer

There's a work around where you add some fanta raspberry soda to a regular barqs root beer. I'll try to give it a go tomorrow.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Bad news about the Phillips Hue.

http://www.techhive.com/article/3138872/internet-of-things/researchers-hack-philips-hue-smart-bulbs-from-the-sky.html

quote:

Based on an exploit for the ZigBee Light Link Touchlink system, white hat hackers were able to remotely control the Hue lights via drone and cause them to blink S-O-S in Morse code.

The drone carried out the attack from more than a thousand feet away. Using the exploit, the researchers were able to bypass any prohibitions against remote access of the networked light bulbs, and then install malicious firmware. At that point the researchers were able to block further wireless updates, which apparently made the infection irreversible.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bought a laserjet printer for $40, and it hit me that I still needed some sort of scanner. But there aren't cheap small flatbed scanners anymore. Scratch that, there are. But they're attached to really crappy printers which is what I wanted to get away from by buying the laserjet printer on sale.

I'm also putting a GPS back into my car. A 10-year-old one. It turns out a new battery is under 10 dollars and there are open source maps online for free. You'd think there wouldn't be problems with a phone GPS in suburban so-cal with no mountains in sight and clear skies but cell phones continue to surprise me...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What was that?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had a modern android app that seemed designed for a blackberry with a physical keyboard.

It was a driving app that turned on with the phone. It was meant to automatically activate when it detected driving to give quick access to a few other apps while driving: maps, music, etc. It also had a standby mode where a chunk of the screen would be reserved exclusively for swipping the app "on" if it happened to be minimized.

That made the app useless if one wanted to dial the phone with the app in standby. Because the space the app reserved covered the 1, 4, and 7. So the only way to restore functionality to the rest of the phone would be closing out of the driving app completely.

Edited for clarity.

RandomPauI has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Dec 19, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It'd be a feature if the app didn't come on at startup, staying on until it was closed. Which it'd need to be if I wanted to use the phone as a phone when not driving.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Micro USBs break ports much less than mini USBs at the cost of breaking more easily themselves.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Copy-pasting this from the aviation thread. Lots of old engines.

Slo-Tek posted:

I dunno if I am late to the party on this, but there is a TON of weird experimental stuff here I had never seen or heard of, with well written medium-sized articles with pictures on them.

https://oldmachinepress.com/

I hesitate to even point out favorites, because everything I've clicked was good.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It wasn't possible to make a reasonably affordable white light LED until the 90s. I couldn't find a price for white LEDs from then but I'd guess the still cost dollars.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, if you want to get into the nitty-gritty of it; sure, it wasn't until 93 that a blue LED was powerful enough to add a phosphor to produce white light. And they didn't start showing up on flashlights until 1996/1997. That feels as good a point for when they showed up as a feature (and not a novelty) in consumer goods.

My point is, LEDs probably cost significantly more to make from 1993 to 2001. With 2001 being the year the OP wanted to get an expensive LED flashlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Edge is my go-to browser for sites that don't work well with chrome. So, basically d.rip