Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

The good news is that if you have about an hour, you can flash the firmware to a CF card and slot that in with zero modification since they shipped with either Microdrives or CF cards.

Microdrives totally go here I guess.

They're literally tiny hard drives that used an expanded CF bus for data and power transfer. They've been completely out performed in stability, speed, power draw, and capacity by the regular flash memory CF cards these days.

I threw in a CF to SD adapter and got my old iPod classic working great that way. I'm waiting for the 256GB SD's to have a price drop then I'll swap one of those in there. Of course I also have a smartphone so the iPod just sits in my glovebox plugged into the USB port for my stereo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Speaking of airplane headphones, a while ago I learned that airplanes used to use headphones that transmitted audio to the ear via tubes of air.

I learned this because I ordered a piece of equipment that was said to use "airplane headphones" so I bought one of these:

that converts modern electrical dual mono airplane headphone jacks to a conventional stereo jack. And then when it arrived I found out that the equipment was old enough that it had a speaker inside it and a couple of holes for air tube headphones to plug in. Fortunately I paid very little for the converters but I haven't found a use for them.

I guess some airplanes still use the dual jacks because it was easier to modify the design to plug the holes with two mono jacks instead of modifying it to have a single jack?

I remember my sister and I huddling down with our ears pressed against an airplane armrest in 1985 so we could hear the audio for an in-flight movie without paying for the tube headphones.