Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

There will still be vital systems controlled by a dusty old box with leaking capacitors and Windows XP.

If I had a dollar for every machine I found in an obscure place, that almost nobody knew about/knew what it did, running and storing critical information, running Windows XP for a business with no back up what so ever, I would have about $87.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I'm in a metal band that releases our own vinyl, with a download card, uploads albums to youtube, and is on all the major streaming services. If you want to hear our music, it is stupidly easy to find it. We make most of our money off of physical sales at shows. I think it works well for everyone.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Mom my said she was really interest in computer science when she went to Cornell in the 70s, but lost interest after punching cards and having to walk to a separate building about 10 minutes away to compile them. She said she dropped a huge stack of cards in the snow on the way over and gave it up after that.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
K-Cups are also useful if you're of the grid, they use a lot of power, but for a very short amount of time, where the traditional coffee pot heating element on the bottom uses more power over 4 or so minutes.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I love the old fax scams. Send an invoice for $52.35 for "Office Supplies" on a official looking letter head, and watch accounts payable pay them. We got a new AP at a dealership I work at, and she found the last person just payed them, amounting to about $1100 a year. Not bad if you send it to 500 offices a week, and 10 of them payed it.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Our middle school filled up with iMacs when they came out, I was about the only kid that knew how to use them, including the school's IT guy. I found a way to make a shared folder on the network, brought Marathon from my house and put it in, and somehow figured out how to get 8 player deathmatch going. He eventually took those computer labs off the network because we were clogging all the network traffic up.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Jay Leno has a bunch of cool steam cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I wanna drive one so bad, 150 hp and 1000 ft/lbs of torque at idle. There was some other video where Jay said he cranked the throttle on one of his first steam cars and spun the wheels inside of the tires.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
My band uses the our atlas at least once a tour. Not much cell service when you take this route, but hopefully you loaded up on beer/snacks/an INFLATED spare.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Oh hey does that go through Lakeview? The road up from Winnemucca is super desolate, and I'm sure the stuff in NV is too.

I can't remember, it was my birthday and we loaded up on weed candy before we left Oregon, so I was pretty out of it for the first 9 hours.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is not the greatest route TBH. You should be going up through Denio to Fields (a great place to get a milkshake BTW) and then through Harney to Burns and over to Bend to get to Eugene or you should go from Reno/Carson through Alturas and K-falls. You're taking the route that's technically the shortest but you're losing time passing through the area around Oakridge which is windy and has cops. Google says it's a shorter route but they don't take into account that between the Nevada border and Burns you can do 20 over the speed limit and there's way less twisty roads to slow you down.

This route was conceived after a heavy night of drinking, altitude sickness, god knows how many drugs, and sleeping in a van for a couple weeks. Our Saltlake show got canceled, so I found a camp ground at the mid-point between Eugene and Vegas. It wasn't the best idea, but we did it and survived somehow. I'll take your recommendations into consideration next time we do the west coast, where do you live? We always like to stay anywhere better than the truckstop/motel 6, we're a bunch of chill rear end metal heads that normally plan better than that abortion of a drive.

All that being said, we all had tons of fun being scared and lost in the middle of nowhere America.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Chiming in here as one of those guys in a metal band, putting out their stuff on vinyl.

First off, all those reissues from the major labels are bullshit. Its completely and 100% a cash grab by major record labels trying to squeeze every dollar from their back catalogue. They rarely go back to the master tapes, and even if they do, they never re-mastered for vinyl, which is a subtle, but necessary difference (http://www.gottagrooverecords.com/vinyl-mastering/). They saw independent labels, and bands, making sales, and of course they want a piece. I think its lame as hell, but whatever, those big labels will be gone soon enough.

The reason why independent bands choose vinyl varies, but I think this covers most of them.
1. Art work is huge. We pay artists to make cool art, and it's cool to have it blown way up.
2. Limited edition stuff, people like to collect stuff, and it's an easy way to make special copies.
3. Some people have really nice home hifi setups, and the market for used turntables covers every price range and quality level.
4. Everyone includes a download card, so you can have your music on all your devices anyway.
5. As the band it is really crazy when you put on a record and it's your music coming out. Way more satisfying than clicking play on Itunes.
6. Profit margins are pretty good if you make a big enough run of records.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
The first and last time I saw one was somewhere near Bakersfield, after driving from San Francisco and eating lots of questionable food and way too much alcohol. I almost poo poo my pants, running back to the van and back to the to the door. Then I let it shut accidentally on my drummer and he did the same almost-poo poo dance, then HE did the same to the guitarist.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I woulda killed for this as a kid, also I bet you could hack it to make your car sound like a tie fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGraodpVQu4

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Metal bands still make tapes because unit cost is 25 cents and you can sell em for $5-$10

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Instantly got Gummo vibes from that video, and lo and behold...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySNXN7zjp4Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Animatronics brought to their most badass end is Captured By Robots, a band of robots, that of course, captured their singer. If they're ever coming through your city you need to see them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynP4JnKehOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MY706N38jQ