Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Does anyone still find any obsolete technology useful? I have a brother typewriter for writing articles and random creative writing. I find that I can focus better on the typewriter because there are fewer distractions than on a computer. They still sell this typewriter, ribbons, and correction tape at Staples and on Amazon. Simple electronic typewriters like this still have a niche market amongst old fogies and creative writing types.

http://www.amazon.ca/Brother-GX6750-Electronic-Typewriter/dp/B00480STX8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1345554193&sr=8-6

Going back even further than that, Royal still makes a manual typewriter. Apparently there are, in fact, enough places where you need to type stuff that don't have electricity to warrant the manufacture of a manual typewriter in 2012.

http://www.typewriters.com/olivetti-ms25-manual-typewriter.html

Also, US Typewriter maker Swintec is kept going by providing typewriters to US prisons. They are hilariously expensive. I mean, $150 for a typewriter because you enjoy writing on one, sure, but some of these bad boys are going for $900.

http://www.swintec.com/

Also, does anyone still use a wristwatch? I still wear one daily because I like to hike, and taking your phone is sort of against hiking etiquette.

Zack_Gochuck has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Aug 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Zombie Rasputin posted:

When I worked at CVS, the pharmacist told me that all stores (maybe all pharmacies in general) had to have one on hand so they could make labels even if there was a prolonged power outage. (Natural disasters, etc.)

Our IT guy at work told me that all law firms have one as well for similar reasons. I have no idea if it's true.

I have also heard that the NYPD has so much carbon paper that they'll be using typewriters to draft reports for the foreseeable future.

No idea if these are urban legends or not.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

oldskool posted:

There's still value in academia (:byodood: DON'T LOOK AT YOUR PHONE YOU MUST BE CHEATING), but outside of that their function has been completely outsourced.

Yeah, I know rich dudes will still wear gold watches and stuff, but I'm talking about 30 and 40 dollar run of the mill wristwatches. I didn't realize how much they've gone out of fashion until someone called me old fashioned for still having my trusty analogue wristwatch.

I used to teach, and the majority of children in junior high do not know how to tell the time from an analogue clock. It's pretty jarring once you realize something so simple to you is so strange and foreign to the kids.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Geoj posted:

A friend of mine bought an IBM typewriter at a rummage sale to fill out job applications and other simple form correspondence (like warranty registration cards) because his handwriting is borderline illegible.

Was it an IBM Selectric? That would actually be quite a find. They go for a pretty penny now.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Speaking of Nintendo hardware, my friends and I were playing one once, and someone pulled on their controller a bit too hard and pulled it our of the TV stand. drat think swung down about three feet and smacked off the front of the stand and didn't even skip. I'd wish that Nintendo made DS smart phone if I wouldn't need a friend code to call anybody.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The rewind button broke on our big 'ol 1980s VCR after my dad dropped it, so you had to fast forward to the end and then it would automatically rewind.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Personally I still use cash for most things because I just find it easier to kept my spending in check. If I have 3 twenties in my wallet and I use one to buy a book, that means I have two twenties left for groceries. I like to see the money visually depleting. With overdraft and credit cards the money becomes less tangible and it becomes $20.50 spent on a book and $47 spent on groceries and before you know it you've spent $80 where you would have usually spent $60 with cash. It seriously adds up that quick. Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Also, I pay my rent with cash and the landlady just gives me a receipt. I'm surprised more people don't do that because it seems quite common in Canada.

Zack_Gochuck has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Oct 3, 2012

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I Canada we have Interac email money transfers. You literally just click a button on you bank's homepage, and it emails the money to the person for like a dollar. All they need is a bank account with a major Canadian bank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interac_e-Transfer

Zack_Gochuck has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Jibo posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't these for disaster relief and they only churn them out as needed? I remember Anheuser Busch gave a poo poo ton of water to the 2004 tsunami relief.

What advantage does a can have over a plastic bottle in that situation? Just curious.