Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

e: gently caress wrong thread

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

I don't think I'd want a computer that smoked every day.
"you wouldn't download a blunt."

I beg to differ

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Guys, at my new job in a newly built hospital, we have to use 90's pagers, no assigned hospital cellphones, loving pagers. It's legit the worst, sitting around waiting for people to call you back on a hard-line is the worst, i'm in hell.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

naw we can use our cellphones too, the nurses get hospital phones that work in the new building but not complex wide, the therapy department is still running off dark ages tech but it does work complex wide.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

I still have a Blackberry with a roll ball and it only connects to 3g. I think it still has pictures on it but I haven't bothered trying to get them off because of how long it takes to startup.

i loved that little roll ball!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

PYF ringtone

Mine is the A-Team intro, without the initial talking

https://youtu.be/_MVonyVSQoM?t=21

this would make me way too excited for every call, like i'm going on a mission.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

that zero tho

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mystes posted:

Sony must have been getting pretty desperate by that point if they deigned to allow use of normal mp3 files instead of just ATRAC.

I had an iriver mp3 CD player that was nice, although it had like 10000 buttons. That was the trend I guess until later when everyone started copying the iPod 4 (I think) by putting wheel controls on everything and not having physical volume buttons.

the iriver was so rad, way better than the first gen ipod i inherited later, but stupid skipping kept me from ever being able to run with music on until much later.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

You can 3D print steel.

People judge 3d printing by dinky hobby machines and completely miss how advanced professional 3D printing is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3CkzQQFZXs

pretty awesome, but i doubt deposited steel is nearly as strong as cast or forged. 3d printing is great for prototyping though.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They are actually finding that, with the proper toolpaths and deposition settings, you can get parts that are sometimes stronger in the axis that matter during part use versus machining from a cast or forged piece. I guess it's all about grain structure and pre-tensioned axis due to uneven cooling? As it is, a lot of jet engine blades are grown from a single crystal of metal for strength, but last year Siemens won an award from the ASME for using additive manufacturing (3D printing) to make turbine blades that were stronger in some aspects and cheaper to manufacture in others.

It's a crazy world.

Ok that is rad as heck. Reminds me of the scifi series, Revelation Space, where nanobots coat starships and are constantly repairing stuff microscopically and can make complex crystal structures.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah but that takes effort.

If I had a 3D printer and I could make custom clothes that fit me perfectly for less than a dollar per article from whatever fabric I got my hands on, I don't think I'd wear anything else. Imagine what historical reenactors could do, too!

You could print your own dragon dildos and literally save tens of thousands of dollars you're currently spending on massive real scale dragon dildos.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

3d prints your mom: bangs your 3d mom.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

spog posted:

Obsolete tech: fitted clothes.

In the future, they will be balloon-shaped bags with drawstrings

looking forward to spray on clothes
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shirt-in-a-can/n11190

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Which is why it runs like absolute poo poo.

it is absolute poo poo, but that running in browser back in the day was pretty interesting. thought it would have gone away long ago, because the vanilla game is garbage, alas 10y/o's contributed to the worst kind of neckbeard becoming and ultra-wealth.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Someone just made me aware of rekall.me

So clean

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I hate tapes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

drat you hit me hard in the nostalgia organ.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Armacham posted:

We have a 5150 in paperbacks all units respond.

Holy poo poo, my mom has that book

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

GiantBomb talked about Battletech Centers this week on the vombcast and it really made me miss that 90s Arcade BR/ immersion fad. I’m wondering if anyone has any other good examples of this? I remember Funspot in NH had this like ball you could get into that moved and played Beach Head 2000(?)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech_Centers

e, nm.

this is rad, the one in houston is still active, interesting
http://www.mechcorps.com/

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Feb 9, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cursory look into if anyone ported that version of battletech and I can't find much, but a year ago 12 of the pods sold for $29K
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesla-ii-battletech-cockpit-vr-enclosed-simulator-set-12

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

what an enormous pain in the arse

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ryonguy posted:

What is even the point of cropping like this in this scene?

So they can eventually sell you the ReRe-release of the HD Redux Directors Vintage 8k upressed version with slightly worse cropping.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How does that work for online purchases? Are you expected to memorize your card number or something?

Apple users demand simplicity and style over actual function. You dim-witted fool.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I once got taken for 1200bux at a store by a guy with fake travellers checks. He bought a bunch of GBAs and games, paid in Amex travellers checks.

They were such good fakes it wasn't until the bank went to process them that the fake was known.

Should have noticed when bought 40 copies of Shrek: Swamp Kart Speedway

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

6, 9

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

OS X looked so much better than OS 9. Even with all the crappy translucent buttons and brushed metal accents.

While we're talking about old rear end printers. This was my favorite printer of all time. The form factor was perfect.

Panasonic KX-P6500. It was another printer that went obsolete because of outdated drivers. Transitioning from Windows 98 to XP really killed a lot of old hardware.

Good news, there's XP drivers
https://panasonic.net/cns/pcc/support/printer/download/p6500download.html

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Holy poo poo never change apple, wow.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Holy poo poo, this guy is already cool as hell, I had no idea he was literally the coolest man alive ever.

e: NICE!

double e: err....

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Aug 3, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

We regret to inform you that Weedlord Sexgod is racist

Um, it's Weedlord Bonehitter.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Humphreys posted:

The Jogwheel on Sony and Sony-Ericsson phones was the greatest thing until proper touch screens. I do miss my P910i but couldn't get away with it anymore. I tried a week with my N900 and N97 a few years ago but caved in cos my 2FA and banking apps.

EDIT: Nerdy mancave room coming along nicely:

I had a 32x/sega-cd combo back in the day, it was my pride and joy, then ps1 came out and ruined that mans whole career.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Now I want my phone to say something like “dialing Klondike 5, one two one two” when I make a phone call.

This era of cool poo poo will never exist again.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

You never see them because they suck rear end and are more expensive than cheap SSDs that suck much less rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3frnBoqqI_Q

well you got me to sit through a linus video, and yeah it's exactly what I expected, slow as poo poo not worth the cost.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ok ok, I think I've finally figured out what's missing from audiophiles' dream setup....everything has to be run through the apollo computer then through the gently caress off thick isolation cables, that's why there's still distortion and/or not enough warmth.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

The cyan/magenta pallet was far superior to the red/green pallet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sweevo posted:

It had sixteen colours for text mode, but the graphics modes only allowed four and they couldn't be whichever four you wanted, you had to use one of three preset palettes.

It doesn't help that VGA isn't fully backwards compatible, and if you run CGA software on VGA then one of the incompatibilities is that VGA always uses the cyan/magenta/white palette even if the software is trying to use one of the others.

E: The PC wasn't really a significant gaming platform in the CGA days anyway. CGA was primitive even for the time, and a 4.7mhz 8088 wasn't fast enough to do any kind of fancy effects in software.

No fancy effects, but drat good pc speaker music (j/k it was terrible).

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

An Infocom game I always wanted to play, but couldn't was the Mac only Quarterstaff: The Thomb of Setmoth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterstaff:_The_Tomb_of_Setmoth

It had a map that updated as you strolled through your dungeon and the game took into account your inventory weight, which kind of blew my 14 year old mind. I eventually found an abandonware copy and like every other 1980's game it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

The only old game I still play is Sid Mier's Colonization.

Wow never heard of this game, but remember some early mac RPG games that were really great. I searched for an in browser emulation of this game but couldn't find it...there's tons of DOS games like that...anyway, it seems you can get an emulator and play this game but I'm just looking for some game footage but i can't even find that. So weird.

e: oh i found some japanese dude playing it...yeah this would have blown my mind back in the day....just like wasteland did.

Oh I found this, apparently no one could solve the last puzzle in Quarterstaff so they had to publish a walkthrough

Parchment and coin in question:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Aug 21, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

GreenNight posted:

It whips the llama's rear end.

Oh gently caress i forgot about this lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

dev286 posted:

Someone made a little display of all the obsolete tape formats at work.

Betacam SP
UMatic
Betacam
DVCam
Ikegami Editcam
XDCam

Now we just use SD cards

Editcam was an interesting format that was basically just a hard drive in a cartridge but it had the advantage at the time that you could just grab the pack, plug it in and ingest it for edit very quickly. It was astronomically expensive and since it used a spinning disk it was prone to errors but it worked well for many years.

XDCam had the same advantages but the disks were dirt cheap in comparison. Also it did HD.

it's weird how all those have the same Phil Collins video recorded on each and need to be returned.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Trabant posted:

I feel like the case has to be metal, or at least stiff enough (polycarbonate with embedded magnets?) to have satisfying folding action.

And that thought process reminded me of something I haven't seen in the wild for ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRDeSCQoCCM

Oh drat I had a bunch of these as a kid. I had this too and it was really fun:

never knew it had detailed instructions...I just worked it out till i got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

How bout this controller, Novit Falcon, force feedback spacial controller

Someone connected a fleshlight to it

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Aug 26, 2019