Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Radio Help posted:

For the love of god please do British planes next.
They do. And from the same era as the trains, they worked roughly as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet

wiki posted:

A year after entering commercial service the Comets began suffering problems, with three of them breaking up during mid-flight in well-publicised accidents. This was later found to be due to catastrophic metal fatigue, not well understood at the time, in the airframes. The Comet was withdrawn from service and extensively tested to discover the cause; the first incident had been incorrectly blamed on adverse weather. Design flaws, including dangerous stresses at the corners of the square windows and installation methodology, were ultimately identified; consequently the Comet was extensively redesigned with oval windows, structural reinforcement and other changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

I was being glib, mostly. There's not a litany of crap British planes (that I know of as a casual airbuff) like we just saw in trains, or that we will hopefully see in cars.

vvv Ooh, hopefully I'm wrong about the litany of crap planes! vvv

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Jul 3, 2013

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Hey DicktheCat:

Since you don't have PMs, I'll post here. That looks to be a French Chauchat, which is a full auto machine gun.

If you don't have NFA paperwork for it (and since you said it was found in a ditch, I'm guessing you don't, but I could be wrong), or if it's not deactivated to the ATF's satisfaction, you may not want to post pics of it online, since owning it is a pretty major felony.

I'm not remotely an expert on the legal technicalities around full-auto weapons, so if you want more info, poke around the NFA or Military Surplus threads in TFR.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You should probably hand it to the police immediately. You're looking at prison time just by hanging onto it there buddy.
Don't do this. The chances of it ending badly for you are non-trivial. Talk to a lawyer who knows firearms law, if it's indeed not registered.

Also, reading back, I see I'm not the first to mention it.

DicktheCat posted:

Even if it's not functional? Because this thing will NOT fire. At all. Ever.

You'd have to basically completely remake the thing to fix it.
Yes.

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Oct 3, 2013

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

What kind of hosed up country do you live in where someone goes to the police, says "my grandfather found this. We thought it was legal because it's inoperative but have since found out that it isn't. We'd like to hand it in" and they say "you're going to get 10 years in prison.

Welcome to the insanity of US firearms law.

Captain Postal posted:

What are you talking about? No one in the world will punish you for taking guns out of circulation.
You'd think that, wouldn't you? But unless you're a lawyer who deals in firearms cases, kindly stop handing out advice that has a small but real chance of causing someone a major headache ranging from lawyer bills to time in prison.

You won't definitely get arrested/prosecuted if you show up at your local police station and say that you just found out that you're committing a felony by possessing an unregistered machine gun. But you won't definitely NOT get arrested/prosecuted either.

Think about it like this. If you and grandpa found a nicely-wrapped kilo of coke that got dumped in a ditch, then picked it up, brought it home, kept it for a while, and posted pictures of it online, would you be comfortable just walking into a police station to turn it in with it with no lawyer? If so, you're a more trusting person than I am.

Sorry for starting a derail with a cavalcade of internet experts. DicktheCat, if you want some informed advice over where to go from here, come visit us in TFR. Try the NFA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3439842

Old James posted:

Replace "sub-machine gun" with "kilo of heroin".
vvv Dude, three posts above you! vvv

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Oct 4, 2013

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

• Overhead transparencies. They may still be common in education, but in business they seem to be dead.
This reminds me, at my first job we had a worst of both worlds item. It was a "projector" for a computer that was basically a transparency sheet for an overhead projector. Picture a really crappy LCD monitor (I think the resolution was like 800x600) that you can shine light through with a refresh rate that was so slow as to be visible. Basically a game boy color screen.

The worst part is that we would do presentations that involved hauling a portable overhead and this projection panel.

This was in 1998, so it's not like projectors weren't around, just pretty expensive.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

We had a couple of these. They were incredibly good VCRs as far as reliability went. Must have had them for 10+ years.

I would say the reliability of GE consumer products, later turning into the mere existence of GE consumer products are obsolete and failed technologies.

Which is too bad, because I have a couple of excellent pre-1980 GE radios, one of which (original Super Radio) has served me well for AM DXing (which is probably an obsolete technology by now) and the other has been in pretty much daily use since the late 60s/early 70s.

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Mar 11, 2014

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Humphreys posted:

I really find it hard to imagine what the heck people were doing wrong with CPUs that had pins?

"It goes in this way right? Is it all lined up right? Ok, good? Man, this is a little tight. Oh...gently caress. there goes $300."

Personally, I've never squished a pin, or have seen it happen, but scores of pins that have to all be perfect are fragile and it was enough of a risk that it makes lots more sense to connnect the pins to the cheap mb side than the expensive cpu side.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

rockinricky posted:

Here's a little picture of one.

This one was made in 1982.

Haha, holy crap, I remember those from the bars and bowling alleys of my 80s youth. The picture was so terrible. Just about every single one of them got their colors out of allignment so that everything had a rainbow around it and it looked like you were watching while tripping balls.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

This is a great point. I'd like to do this once I have kids. It'll be something fun and cheap for them to collect.

"Daddy, how come Dakota and Raine have ipods and I have this stupid old boring walkman thing?"

Good luck with that. Maybe if you are blessed with alternative-minded teenagers you can try it then.

edit: and before anyone chimes in with "I would never let my kid be that bratty and stuff-focused" that's not the point. Your kid will not give a gently caress about your old assed walkman any more than I gave about my parents LPs and 8 tracks full of 60s and 70s music in the 80s. You might be able to show one off to them for some nerdy/cool cred, but it's not going to become any sort of actual music player for them.

You might be able to get away with one of the lovely pre-ipod/smartphone mp3 players out there. At least you can put the latest lovely pop band's hits on that.

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Apr 18, 2014

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

If only you could make your own tapes with a mix of songs you wanted...

How many of us, posting in a thread about obscure technology and actually interested in this stuff, honestly have the ability to do that right now? A cassette deck, blank (or record-over-able) tapes, and the ability to play an mp3 into the recording side of said setup.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

DNova posted:

Probably a lot of people. None of what you just outlined is rare or complicated.

I know it's not complicated. It's also super easy to type up a letter on a typewriter. My point was asking who the hell has a cassette deck anymore? :-)

As nerdy as I am about old technology, I am super glad about the death of physical media for entertainment.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

Shame you end up never again talking to anyone with a bunch of 9s in their number because gently caress YOU.
Hey, the entire area code system is based on just how goddamn long that 0 takes to dial.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

OptimusShr posted:

What satellite radio are you listening to that has ads? I have SiriusXM in my car and the only ads I hear are rare ones for specials and sports stations (They use local radio stations of wherever the team is playing)

Every non-music station (and the music stations that are simulcasts of other stations like KIIS).

Satellite is still pretty awesome for talk radio, though a shadow of its former self. Most of the weird is gone now.

For music, its gotten just as bland as FM. A few of the stations are well programmed. Most are just 50 songs on shuffle. Sadly this is what the people apparently want, or at least what their focus groups tell them will keep people paying for it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Though speaking of obsolete technology remember those adapter kits that let you plug in a portable CD player into your tape deck? You know, for people too poor to get a read stereo system or that just had an ancient car? I still have one somewhere, makes me kind of nostalgic.

Those arent that obsolete. I was using one to play my iPod and then my phone through an old boombox in my workshop until a couple years ago.

If you want really obsolete car tech, you want the converter that let you play cassettes in your car's 8 track player.

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Mar 1, 2015

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

I just test drove about 9 different cars, and I don't think any of them had a DIN-compatable radio/entertainment system. Everything is molded into the dash and/or is an integrated touch screen.

Kinda sad, because I've installed a new head unit and usually speakers in every car I've owned since 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

These cars will soon become obsolete technology themselves since you won't be able to replace the one component most likely to become quickly outdated. Like the built in early 2000s navigation systems.

poo poo, my brand new 2017 navigation system is obsolete upon installation because it doesn't get live feedback from millions of users and give me real time traffic like my phone's Google maps does. I have no idea why cars come with built in navigation.