Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Well, the cooling system was very real: http://www.trustedreviews.com/Asetek-VapoChill-XE-II-Refrigerated-PC-Case_Peripheral_review but happily CPUs in general turned down the heat, so only nerds and gamers do watercooling :)

and yeah, i remember the Go-L poo poo. the best part was the many forum posts claiming to have bought a system or at the least having ordered it, and then nobody ever followed through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

strangemusic posted:

This is really close to it, yeah. Now I really need to ask my dad if he kept it.

Now that you all mention it, they are basically bongs for dust. :420:

this look familiar? there's a trend where people upcycle these for use as lamps now.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Agricola Frigidus posted:

I'm currently using that very model.

Which one of them? :giggity:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Getting back into obsolete technology, i'd like to show off this very nice typewriter i bought this weekend.

Initial tests shows that it works, though it does need a new ribbon. I've ordered one off of ebay that also has a red part, because red makes everything seem more important. I also saw you can get purple ink ribbons, which just seems classy as all gently caress.

This is after cleaning it up and giving it a quick wax and polish!

there's more info available here https://myoldtypewriter.wordpress.com/2015/11/04/the-handy-manual-olivetti-studio-42-typewriter/ including this handy diagram

It really makes you understand the terms behind tabulating, upper and lower case, caps lock and whatnot!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I recently came across this little beauty...

It appears to work and I could still get film for it but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I'm probably still going to try it though.

Clean that up and load some 120 film in it. You have nothing to lose! It's also a decently sought after camera if it's fully working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

InediblePenguin posted:

My mom had the single-row-LCD typewriter too. Hers was a Smith-Corona and it had interchangeable font sets. We didn't get a computer for a long time because of being poor, so for a while in middle school my classmates were turning in printed-out computer reports and I was laboriously typing mine on the typewriter and having to swap out the font cartridges every time I needed italics.

I collect typewriters but I don't still use them because they're a huge pain in the loving rear end.

For the record, though, if you have a typewriter that has a ribbon in it but not ink, and you'd like to be able to use your typewriter, the thing I find easiest to do is to go to the office supply store and get a reel of ribbon for printing calculators, which is still available, and use your electric drill to reel the ribbon OFF the calculator spools and onto the spools that the ribbon in your typewriter uses. Slight pain in the rear end but you will not find packaged usable ink ribbons for a 1930s manual typewriter in the year 2017 and I've found respooling calculator ribbon to be easier than attempting to re-ink the typewriter ribbon, perhaps because I don't have access to Trabant's dad's machine for it.

I got neatly packed ribbons for my 1935 Olivetti studio 42 from eBay! Black/red too! Although I do wish they had that classy purple for my model.