Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

At which point, the graphite in the pencil would flake off, float around, and short out something important, as graphite IS conductive.
So, sure the Russians did it "better" if you don't really give a poo poo about the lives or safety of your crew.

I don't even think they used a pencil. I think they both wound up using wax pencils, which work in zero gravity and don't have conductive flakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I remember having one of those! IIRC you sent files to your computer by plugging it in and hitting a 'send' button, and it would then essentially act as a keyboard 'typing' out the document very quickly.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Brother Jonathan posted:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned these yet: the VT100 terminal:

It was released in 1978 and was so successful that computers still have VT100 terminal emulation programs on them. I fondly remember banks of them at the university library for accessing the book database.

Hardware terminals aren't used anymore, though. Computing power is so cheap that it's wasteful to dedicate a machine to just providing a text terminal.

Some people I know managed to find one of these. They put a Raspberry Pi running Debian inside it and hooked it up, it was great.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Someone linked me to a small article about how the NES Game Genie decoded its codes.