Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

I have an old IBM thinkpad X20 thats about ten years old now and still works. Its only just starting to have issues now with running new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Im a CAD/GIS guy that mainly works in 2D and I've always wanted to use a trackball. Mainly because I'm working at 1:1 scale in an area the size of a city block a hell of a lot. Having said that The old as hell Digitizers from back in the day are probably more obsolete than trackballs. I think the only upgrade they may have had since 1980 is replacing the serial connection with USB.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Zemyla posted:

Remember how wireless remote controlled cars had two frequencies, 27 MHz and 49 MHz, and you had to get two of them with different frequencies if you had two kids?

I'm glad I only had one sibling; I wonder what would have happened if we'd needed three of them, besides violence.

I inadvertantly jammed my little brothers remote signal with my rc car back in the day. It locked on full speed and drove straight into a fishpond. He didn't talk to me for like a week. It was awesome.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Taeke posted:

I don't know. I'm sitting in the garden right now, posting from my laptop which wasn't all that expensive and powerful enough to play the latest games on if I want. If I want to study, play on a bigger screen or sit more comfortably behind a desk, I can do all that because I've got an extra screen and usb keyboard set up for that exact reason and it's not like the days of yonder when you had to install drivers to get those to work. You just plug them in, and anyone can do that. I think the desktops will increasingly become the domain of advanced users who need the power, but that the average, more casual user will increasingly opt for a laptop or notebook or whatever with an extra screen and keyboard for when they need them. Why would you limit yourself to something lacking portability when you don't need to?

You're projecting. Just because you feel that's correct doesn't mean that what you do works for everyone else. This is the exact same reason why tech journalists decide the desktop is obsolete every year.

Also a laptop with docking station has a much more awkward desk footprint than a tower and a laptop is much less customisable.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Unless they outlast books by a wide margin. Which is doubtful, for the time being.

In time, we might get there though, much like we pulp wood and dry it into paper to print on rather than just carving stuff into wood.

I mean take the Drawing board.

Drawing boards were in use well into the 90s at my job because Computer aided design software used to be painfully slow to work with. Then CAD software took over as computers became faster and much less expensive. Today the company I work at has one drawing board for comparing different revisions of old drawings.

I wouldn't call drawing boards obsolete. There are a few disciplines that still use them. A lot of the smaller groups producing shop drawings work on the board here.

Also when CAD software took over the average design time for a project increased by about three weeks. This is because you could now revise multiple times without having to start from scratch. This meant designers and engineers started working a bit more loosely.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

No doing things in pen isn't just busy work. Especially when it comes to new trainees. Working on the boards teaches scale and also encourages people to think before they start a drawing. Its really difficult to grasp the concept of scales in an infinite 3 axis array that you can view from any point in the array.

Surprisingly I also work in railway. And ive found the opposite. Our older drawings are easier to read and better detailed, where the new cads are crammed and difficult to read, and the details are much looser.

This however may be due to the guys we use to build. Last major project I finished up with I had to make the contractor rewalk a 200km stretch and redraw the drawings 3 times until the cads where up to code.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How have neither of you posted in this thread yet?

Because I couldn't give two shits about locos.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

keyboard vomit posted:

At my local art supply store they keep them in the art marker section, across the store from the technical drafting tools.

No one hand drafts anymore but college students so they're artist supplies now

Shop drawings are done with the pens more often than not. So do some major power infrastructure companies. I do for my job whenever I get the chance.

The technical pens are across the store from the technical drawing gear because youre in an art supply store most likely focusing on architects and architecture students. I got my last set of replacement nibs from a brick and mortar drafting supplies store.

Having said that i got my latest set of needle nibs from a pawn shop for like 40 bucks.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

GrandMaster posted:

Hah, this is still the case for one of the rail networks in Australia. Nearly everything is controlled via the computer systems, but they still track everything on paper and have to store those records for 7 years.

Also hilarious, one of the lines uses a 150 year old signalling system, there's only a handful of people that still know how to run it as everyone has retired, AND it has better on-time performance and reliability than other lines with modern signalling

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/e...312-guwcwt.html

I work for the state with victorian rail actually! While a lot of it is computer operated, a lot of those computer systems are amstrads.

That's not the only line that has those signals. The whole victorian network is set up to run off flags if need be. In fact, when we had a big failure a few years ago, we did in fact run a metropolitan line using signal flags. Also the syemour line has better on time performance and reliability because it runs like 8 trains a day and doesn't have a lot of level crossings.

Also before we found it and wired it out there was a switch that turned off an entire train line out in western melbourne. The switch was found when builders where isolating a shed in a siding yard out there and turned it off. About 30 seconds later they started getting frantic phone calls.

Edit: Holy poo poo I read that article, I actually worked on the projects they talk about there, Also I forgot to add the interstate and freight trains that run on that line and it hosed up my numbers.

Fuckface the Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Jul 4, 2017

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Humphreys posted:

I used to be with QR/Aurizon before they pretty much gutted themselves.

Also in that article they mention the double line blocking signaling is the last in the country in operation. I'm not sure for today but maybe 3 years ago Gladstone in Central Queensland still had one operational system.

What is your definition of 'most important' on the lines? We had a public face policy saying 2 legs, 4 legs, no legs (People, livestock, freight) but it was totally the opposite - gotta roll that coal!

My definition is probably different from the actual industry here but to me its passenger, grain trains, everything else.

After the the qr gutting we ended up with a pile of queenslanders turn up. The private group from up there got thw contract to run the freight trains out of the grainfields in northwest victoria. They qhere bitching last year that they where losing money and didnt want to run them. They then proceeded to get bollocksed for not adhering to contract and loving with food security for the state. It was pretty great. The unofficial line was "sack management levels until youre solvent then"

Fuckface the Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

I miss psus with passthrough.