Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

who the gently caress uses iTunes star ratings? That's some obsolete poo poo.

Me, I have a lot of playlists based on them too. And I even turned on the function so that I can give them half star ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Athenry posted:

I remember using this. My old Performa 6115 couldn't handle anything else while encoding. It also only had a 600MB hard drive, so I kept MP3s on many many zip disks.

I still have some of those MP3s in my music folder. I think their "created on" metadata has been wiped and reset a couple times by now, but I can tell which they are because I encoded them at 112 kbps to save space (I was a dumb kid ok)

Why wouldn't you have re-ripped them to v0 (or downloaded them) at this point? That bitrate is so low that it has to sound like garbage.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I ran across this old "tech" today at work. Our old office was going through renovation a while back, and my coworker nabbed one of these:

It's a lockbox that contains a key. The key is used on this:

Basically, it's a log for security guards. The guards carry around the clock like an old-timey Flavor Flav. They go to these lock boxes, open them up, and use the key on the clock so they could log that they were inspecting the building at certain times, and not just sleeping at the front desk. The one my coworker picked up had a lock on the box, so I guess no one could steal the key within.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Kind of surprised grocery stores don't yet have carts that scan the cargo so the persons items are tallied upon arrival at the checkout so they just pay after reviewing the tally. All the tech to do that exists, probably not worth the effort yet.

It's in some Stop and Shops in the NE. My store never got it, but they put in scanners so you can do it with your cellphone, rather than one of their handheld devices.

I'm just waiting for the iOS app to add my store to the list, so I can actually try it! :argh:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Couldn't you just get a Harmony programmable remote, and use that instead for the same price?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

hint: a lamp is usually not a magic stalk that emits light and contains an enslaved genie. often, you can replace the socket with a pull-chain-equipped one yourself!

Wouldn't the socket have no power, thus defeating the point of a pull chain add-on socket? If you touch the lamp, you could possibly take the power out of the bulb socket, and render the cord useless.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have the same problem only on my work computer with Windows 10. It's Dropbox, and reinstalling it didn't fix it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This thread is the only one I've seen talking about Windows 10 negatively. In the SH/SC Windows thread it's been overwhelmingly recommended to upgrade.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

HardDisk posted:

I want to hear all the clunks. :allears:

But more seriously, I'd like a primer on these machines, and how they would have been used on their day-to-day. You talked about how some numbers went to certain registers, but that went flying over my head most of the time during that video.

Watch "The Imitation Game". It came out a few years ago, and it shows Alan Turing building and using one of these during WWII.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

At ten bucks a month, you could earn back the price of a new head for your car stereo in less than a year. Buy one with bluetooth/aux or whatever.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Technically, there is a limit of like 3,333 tracks or something.

I have a playlist of 3,000 songs exactly (I have 10,000+ songs in iTunes, and I want to cycle out the recently listened stuff, and only have stuff I haven't heard in months). 3,000 songs is 8 days, 20 hours, according to iTunes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

How do you seriously listen to all that? You can't even know what you have with a collection that large.
Do you just add random stuff? You hear something and think " well, it didn't make me barf, so I'll add it"?
Do you treat your collection like the radio, where you have a ton of non-offensive, but bland, background noise?

You know how big mine is? 513 mp3s. Curated over a decade. I'm not OCD about it. I just only keep songs that I really enjoy.

I'm at work, so I don't really have the library on me, just my iPhone. But basically I've been using mp3s since the Napster days, and iTunes since 1.0. I don't watch TV anymore other than some HBO or stuff, so I just listen to music. And my work lets me have a bluetooth speaker in front of me, playing whatever I want, for 9 hours a day. So at work, I listen to over 100 tracks a day.

I do add entire albums rather than just singles. Some bands I'll have their entire discography (Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, etc), making it like 200 songs per artist. Otherwise I have a few albums from various artists across a number of genres (but not country, dubstep, chiptunes).

Since I listen to so much music each day, I feel like things get stale, so I'll download another album by some other band I like, or something I need to check up on. My most recent stuff is OK Go's first album, Flobot's latest, Massive Attack as I want to check out more Trip Hop, an old Incubus album, a Talking Heads greatest hits CD, Porkupine Tree, etc.

I also have a playlist of 40 of the least recently played music. Right now, that's stuff I haven't played since September. For me, it's nice to have music from the 90s that I may have heard hundreds of times (now playing Stone Temple Pilot's "Kitchenware & Candybars"), but haven't heard in months, so I'm not sick of it.

Here's my Last.fm page to see just how much music I go through:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonFromCT/library
(Yes, I know I listen to some garbage. Also Garbage.)

If I only had 500 songs, I would listen to that in about 4 days, and go crazy from the repetition.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

spog posted:

I have a dashcam in my car.

One of my fears is that it will record my death and people will learn what poo poo music I listen to.

Same here.

"At the time of your death, you were listening to... Evanescene's 'Bring Me To Life'? Really dude?"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If your speakers take line in input, why would you want to listen to FM radio? Last I tried, they played the same 100 songs. And that was with commercials every 1, 2, or 3 songs.

Also, hi Cryomancer!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

0toShifty posted:

Since all the mp3 player chat is dying down - I thought I'd drop this bomb on you.

Only Sony would make something like this. This is a portable CD-RW drive that is also an mp3 CD Player. It uses a lithium camcorder battery. AND IT STILL WORKS! Doesn't have buffer under-run prevention, burning at 4x over USB1 is scary.

I had this one! I think I used it more as a CD burner than as a mp3 player. This held me over until Apple made the first iPod, since I was (and still am) a Mac user at the time. I also didn't want to swap cards, but I was fine swapping mp3 CDs for some reason.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Death From Above 1979. I had to go buy earplugs, as I could feel my hearing vanishing in my later years.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You can usually look at the source for the page and get the article. Here it is without any format changing, because I'm lazy.

quote:

<meta property="og:description" content="A North Korean company recently released a new entirely domestically produced smartphone with "improved convenience and safety," the state-run DPRK Today reported over the weekend. The “Jindallae 3” smartphone - named after a type of Korean rhododendron – was recently developed by the DPRK's Mangyongdae Information Technology Corporation, according to the report. “The research group follows the Party’s intention to actively develop high-tech products," the article said, claiming the manufacturer had resolved “all the issues regarding the development of the smartphone without any difficulties and in the Korean way.” The design of the smartphone’s appearance and structure, the circuit design of motherboard, and the program design of the mobile operating systems had all been locally manufactured, the report argued. The Jindallae 3 smartphone I Credit: DPRK Today The article said that the phone's developers had “improved the performance of the mobile phone batteries” and “the safety of"/>

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you don't want to pay a sales tax, then go to a different state I guess. The states set their tax rates, and it varies whenever you cross a border. So if you don't want to pay sales tax, go to New Hampshire.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/sales-tax-by-state

But they don't have a whole lot of people (or paved roads).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I had a friend push me hard away from Chevy and towards a Mazda. I ignored it and got a Malibu. I've been driving it for years with no problems other than standard maintenance, and she's had to take her car into the shop quite a bit according to her Facebook.

We're no longer friends. Car nuts just aren't worth it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Antioch posted:

I'm going to see the Backstreet Boys concert next summer. I got sent an email that was like "Hey, you get a free copy of the new album for each ticket you bought, click here". So I did, thinking it'll be a download code or something.

Nope, they're sending me 4 physical CDs. I don't think I have a way to play CDs any more. No DVD/Bluray player in the house, haven't had a disc drive in my PC for years, laptop doesn't have one, car has just Bluetooth and Aux In.

What the hell am I supposed to do with a CD?

I got the same when I went to a Deftones concert. Incubus was opening for them, so I got their latest (half) album. I'm not sure why they do this, because if you're going to a concert, the chances are high that you have their latest stuff. I didn't, so whatever, and I still buy CDs and rip them, but it seems like you either have your case, or you're sending stuff to people who already have the album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nine Inch Nail's Broken has track 98 "Physical (You're So)" and 99 "Suck". Tool's Undertow had track 69 "Disgustipated". Marilyn Manson's Antichirst Superstar had track 99 "Empty Sounds of Hate", but wasn't an actual song.