Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Plinkey posted:

That reminds me of this thing that a lot of our CAD guys swear by:

I have no idea how it works, but it looks purrdy.

It's like a Razer mouse and a Fleshlight had a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

You Are A Elf posted:

mod top cars

Oh man. I've always loved late 60s/early 70s designs on anything from cookware to fashion to interior decoration. Those cars are right up my alley. I can just imagine the kind of person who would buy and proudly own that car when it was new...

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

My car is a 2006 Buick Lesabre. The stock stereo has AM/FM and a cassette deck. 2006 cassette deck. I have one of those cassette tape / headphone jack converters and it does the job just fine. I've heard that some models (such as mine) are built with outdated/legacy stereo stuff because the primary market is elderly people. It's a grandpa car and grandpa still has cassette tapes. Anyone know if that's true?

Also, I can't even imagine the smell when you open one of those glass-top cars on a hot summer day. You're out of work finally, go to your car to head home, open the car door and... WHOOMF 130F of pleather/vinyl/plastic fumes.

I used to work at an electronics recycler, and among other cameras we would get Sony Mavica models that used a 3.5" floppy disk for external media storage. No other memory card options. You've got a whopping 1.4 megabytes of storage before swapping discs. Even when it was new, 1.4 MB was tiny and nearly useless. The strangest part is that after refurbishing and putting them on ebay, they would ALWAYS sell for a decent amount of money. Who on earth would want one of these and what would you even do with it?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

bigtom posted:

Back to the topic...my grandmother had me re hook up her 1989 40" Mitsubishi console TV - aside from the speakers intermittently cutting out, the picture is perfect and the colors look better than my Sharp Aquos. I'm not looking forward to the day she moves out of the house and I have to get that wood behemoth down the stairs without injury.

Edit: inches, not feet. I'm a moron.

I forget if I posted this ages ago, but my first TV when I moved out of my parents' house was a 36" CRT Sony Trinitron TV. Best picture I've ever seen on a SD TV... but that thing took three people to get up a one-person-wide stairwell and into the living room. Not only was it heavy as balls, there were no grips for moving it. Finally upgraded to a flatscreen HDTV last Christmas, and put the Trinitron on craigslist as "free, but you have to get it outside and take it away by yourself."

After 10+ people coming to see it in person and realizing gently caress I can't move that by myself, we finally found someone to take it. They forced it into the trunk of a hatchback and scraped their undercarriage all the way down the driveway because the car was sagging so badly in the rear.

According to specs online, the beast was 270 pounds. Compare that to the weight of modern flat screen TVs.

I still kinda wish I had it for playing SNES games; old consoles look like garbage on HDTVs.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Apr 17, 2014

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

GWBBQ posted:

If your arms are long enough, the way to lift a CRT is to press the screen against your torso and hug it with your hands under the tapered part in the back. If not, you're going to have a miserable time lifting the TV. I have no problem with anything up to 32" and even some 37" ones, but I'm gigantic.

Yeah, the weight is so heavily skewed towards tha screen that the backside feels like it weighs nothing. If you can actually grip the TV with the screen pressing against our chest, then your legs can do a lot of the work instead of murdering your shoulders and back. The lack of handles or grips makes it pretty awful no matter what though.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Humphreys posted:

These wonderful places

Less than 5 minutes down the road from my house, there's a strip mall called "Lakeside Drive-in Plaza" or something like that. There used to be a drive-in there, but it was taken down to make the parking lot and strip mall before I was born (1980s). I think it's kinda funny that a quarter of a century has passed (at least) since it was a drive-in but god damnit it's still called 'the drive-in' you drat kids!

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I was watching my 1 year old play with his toys today, and realized something. He has a toy smartphone and knows that you swipe the screen and touch it to make it do things since that's what grownups do. He also has a toy rotary phone and just kind of swings it around instead of pretending to dial a number. It's because he has never seen someone use a rotary phone, and probably won't outside of something like old Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Just think about all the outdated tech(especially analog media formats) that kids growing up now will never use. Some stuff like vinyl records and tape cassettes still have a niche market, but there's plenty of stuff that kids these days will never use and maybe never even see.

"Kids these days." I just wrote that and now I feel old.

edit: typewriter chat

I have a Smith Corona Galaxie (forget the specific model) manual typewriter that I picked up for a few dollars at the thrift store.

It came with a travel suitcase shell that it locks into, and uses a cheap and easy to find ink ribbon. Fun to mess around with, but the weight makes the travel case kind of silly. It weighs a ton. Only use it for goofing off, but man is it satisfying to hear the thcka-thcka-thcka as you type. If you are really belting out them letters it's pretty easy to get several hammers stuck on the page, but otherwise I love it.

As others have said, note cards will probably get bent from the roller. As long as you can live with that, go for it. You could also buy an old laptop that doesn't have wifi capability, but early laptops are just as heavy as a typewriter and eat through batteries like crazy.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 08:41 on May 8, 2014

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Light Gun Man posted:

Lately I keep having (literal, during sleep) dreams where I am overcome with nostalgia and longing for some kind of software I used to use. I don't think it actually exists/existed because the things I see in the dreams are very contradictory. But hey let's try and list some details from the dreams anyway:

The games were 2d I think. Sometimes in the dreams I feel like it was "were I first played Minecraft" or something, which is wrong, so maybe it had falling sand or something.
Sometimes it feels like it had a sprite based GUI thing going on, sometimes it seems like mostly text based.

That reminds me of a short story (fiction) about a guy who could never beat some DOS text adventure game from his youth. It was unfinished and impossible to beat, but he had dreams of the game's ending. The guy that made the game cut all ties with society and became a hermit living in his parents' house or something (???) and the narrator went to meet the guy in person. The guy gave the narrator an old school floppy or Amiga tape that had the finished game, I think. He beat the game and it had some kind of twist or revelation. Can't remember.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Looking for the webpage right now but I can't remember the game's title or anything else that will help me track it down.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Yes, that's the one! If you like posting or reading about 80s computers/text adventure games in this thread check it out. It perfectly describes that weird mix of nostalgia and "trying to remember that dream you had last night" feeling that I get when my brain only recalls bits and pieces of some videogame from my childhood. Really well done.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Collateral Damage posted:

When I was in grade school I remember we got to watch presentations that were pictures shown by a slide projector accompanied by a soundtrack that came on reel. The teacher had a "portable" reel to reel player that she'd haul out and set up on the desk, and the sound track would have a beep or ding sound to signal that it was time to change slide.

When I was in elementary school (1995-2000 or so) we still had these. Kodak carousel slide projector with either a reel to reel or cassette audio track that beeped when the teacher had to advance the slide. I guess that somewhere around that time computers reached a decent price point for educational use, or my school district had a major funding windfall. In middle school we went from slide projectors and green monotone PCs running 3.1 in the computer labs to eMacs and even carts with 30+ Mac laptops with OS X that teachers could request for their class periods.

Our county libraries went for Mac products which was nice. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have incompatible files between library and school computers. Back then, not everyone had a home computer. Especially one with an internet connection.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

DarthBlingBling posted:

During one IT class at school we figured out how to use NET SEND. All fun and games until I inadvertently told the print server to 'gently caress off' after it messaged me about a successful print. Turns out our class teacher was using that terminal and I forgot that my usename was broadcast along with the message. Tried to plead that someone else must've sent the message but he never believed me.

Like someone else mentioned a few pages back about knowing a fellow student that went to juvenile hall over hacking antics of some kind at school, I remember someone in my year during high school used NET SEND to give everyone on the network a message that was something like "I will cut [teacher]'s loving head off you loving bitch" or something to that effect. Unfortunately for them, it let everyone see the sender's school-issued username that included their first initial, last name, and graduating class year. Whoops! They disappeared from the school soon after with rumors that the guy went to "boot camp."

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Saw this while reading Married to the Sea and it made me think of this thread.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Jerry Cotton posted:

They didn't use them for samples? How did they distribute those - memory cartridges?

I have an older Casio keyboard that uses proprietary cartridges to store MIDI files and settings, etc. The cartridges are about the same dimensions as a video game cartridge. Will get the model number and post pics soon. I don't have any carts for it but IIRC they are like 4MB capacity, so only a tiny bump up from floppies.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Keiya posted:

That... is one of the most meaningless statements I've read all day. I mean, somewhere in the range of GBA carts to NeoGeo carts?

Haha sorry, I was thinking TV consoles. Most Sega/Nintendo carts are about the same dimensions. I didn't even consider portable stuff.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Still on the topic of albums/records but going away from "the concept of the 'album' is good/bad" here's a greybeard blabbing about records that glow in the dark and those that glow under blacklight. Neat stuff, seems like something followers of this thread would enjoy.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Jerry Cotton posted:

Where's the blabbing give us the blabbing!

whoops, here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HLFDgVKUnE

Kind of reminds me of Ulililia vids. I honestly don't care at all what they are talking about, but it's kinda cool and oh okay I guess I'll watch that... where did the last 15 minutes go?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Pivit posted:

That is just the default for Simplex locks?

I know of at least three doors in one supposedly secure building that still use the default, I'd imagine there are tons out there.

I have only run into a handful of Simplex locks, but every single one of them used that default code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

R.L. Stine posted:

The place where I work is also the area's electronics recycling drop-off place, so we regularly get tons and tons of crazy old poo poo.

I miss my job at a recycler. Anything that was worth more than scrap would get put on ebay, and we had some really expensive stuff from time to time. Most of it was consumer and office electronics but sometimes we would get enterprise level servers from 15 years in the past. The best was government science equipment. Oscilloscopes, spectrographs... there was a centrifuge the size of a small car. That was scary to stand near while it was on - it sounded like there was a helicopter trapped inside.

Unless it was top-of-the-line audiophile poo poo, most of the vintage radios/amps/speakers got junked. I took home a few of them and have a radioshack model with an 8-track slot for my kitchen stereo. Hooked up to some late 50s speakers. The sound isn't amazing but they just look so nice! I love the aesthetic on electronics from back then.

edit: and I can run an adapter in the phono jacks to a 3.5mm headphone jack so phone/mp3 player can hook up to it!

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Dec 10, 2014

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

KozmoNaut posted:

I consider myself extremely lucky that I managed to score an almost brand new business-grade Kyocera laser printer with all the upgrades, network interface etc. from work a couple of years ago. 99,9% of the time, it does exactly what I tell it, the other 0,1% I have to open and close all the flaps and it seems to come to its senses.

It's kinda handy for printing out recipes, car/motorcycle service diagrams and the like, which saves my smartphone/laptop from a lot of wear and dirtiness.

When I worked at an electronics recycle place 5 years ago I snagged a free Laserjet 2200DTN from the scrap bin. The toner was at 20something % life left. It's down to 19% now. I rarely have to print anything, but even with heavier use it's insane how long an office laserjet toner will last at home.

Dick Trauma posted:

I remember around 2002 buying a Phaser that used those funky ink blocks, like the 860. The thing had to warm up for quite a long time and the staff kept turning it off and then bitching about waiting for it to be ready.

It would slowly fill the waste tray with a hideous dark purple blob of wasted toner from all the reheats.

We used to get those at the recycler too. Everyone called the ink blocks "crayons" because you could draw with them if you really felt like it. They make really nice glossy prints, and assuming the printer is warmed up they spit copies out way faster than an inkjet. The blocks sold for more than the printer itself on ebay.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

sirbeefalot posted:

What's the port to the left?

edit: beaten on the fact that it's a button not a port

I have a cassette player in my 2007 car, and I still use a cassette to headphone jack adapter to connect phones/ipod to the stereo. I had it laying around and figured why buy something new if I can just plop it into the tape deck and be done?

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Mar 1, 2015

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Another fun memory from working at an electronics recycler/ebay lister. We would occasionally get network analyzers/sniffers, or as one of the guys there would call them, "lunchboxes." I forget what they were actually used for, but they went for a pretty decent price in ~2008 or so when we put them up for bidding on ebay. Probably one of those niche things that can't be replaced/upgraded unless you spend a ton of money to modernize your 20 year old network from scratch or something. If anyone is familiar with them, I'd love to hear more about the things.

Sometimes, we'd get really old ones with green, amber, or red plasma screens. I always wanted to take one home and run some old-rear end DOS games on them, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_1AH4sUg

My favorite goofy thing about them is that the keyboard was connected via RJ11 port (landline telephone , the kind that looks like ethernet) instead of PS/2. Was this ever a common thing?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Vanagoon posted:

Like, keep going until you smell burning, and you open your computer up to find an unrecognizable melted, burned place where the CPU was?

What, you mean like this?

Reminds me of the "magic smoke" thing. Anyone who has blown a cap or fried a piece of electronics with the wrong adapter knows this situation. You plug it in, a mysterious blue smoke rises from the machine that smells like cancer. You have a few seconds panic of "oh gently caress FIRE" then try to turn it on again. It won't work. Because the magic djinni smoke that was trapped inside has escaped. That smoke was the life force, the soul of the computer. And you just watched it shuffle out the mortal coil and move on to greener pastures. Scrap everything and go back to step one.

atomicthumbs posted:

Fun fact: those Dolch keyboards are now basically the most desireable mechanical keyboard ever made on anything.

We had people bidding on the whole computers just to get the keyboard. They'd be like "you can keep or scrap the rest of it, just give me a shipping quote for the keyboard on its own." They are nice firm clicky mechanical keyboards, but could you even use them on any modern computer without an adapter? I've been on the fence for a while on grabbing an IBM Model M keyboard for clickety clack typing myself, the tactile response from a keyboard like that is so... pleasing. My brother has a really nice ~niche enthusiast~ modern mechanical keyboard, and I love using it. Anyone in this thread have a Model M? How do you like it?

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 06:31 on May 24, 2015

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Atal Vataman posted:

also, a small contribution to the thread: BAVC's video artifact atlas. it's still quite small, but a nice resource: http://avaa.bavc.org/artifactatlas/..._Artifact_Atlas

This is dope as heck.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

What is y'alls earliest internet/computer memory? My family were Mac loyalists, so I never got to play all the cool games my friends had. We had a B&W version of Glypha (2 I think?) on our Macintosh II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8VqNvUG1rw

I also remember using my friend's computer in the basement in the mid 90s to make hours-long movies with the trial version of 3D Movie Maker.

We had an Apple sampler/shareware CD with thousands of games on it. One of our favorites was Dubbelmoral. You are supposed to sit on your room studying, but you can go out on the town to drink beer and dance with scantily clad chicks and pee in urinals. Every now and then your mom would come to check and see if you were still studying. If she found the desk empty, She'd go SkiFree yeti mode and become an invincible juggernaut. Your mom would throw rolled up newspapers at you until you went back to your room to study.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qUosypbjY

Also remember Spelling Jungle. If you mashed Word Muncher and Chip's Challenge together, you'd get this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB_l8Oq9ucE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cgrQgbp6XI

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

peter gabriel posted:

Not my first memory but an early one.
Going to the amusement arcade on holiday as a kid and over all the white noise of buzzers, music and bells that was a constant sound every now and then you would hear....

"AAAHHHHHHHGGHHH - GET READY!"

As the Space Harrier demo played. I'll never forget that and on the rare occasion I hear it now it takes me right back to being a kid

I think I posted this ages ago, but if you ever get a hankerin' for them sweet beeps and boops check out The Arcade Ambience Project. It takes the audio output from a bunch of different arcade cabinets and slaps them together into a long ambient track. There's even crowds chattering in the background, air hockey tables, and coin exchangers pouring out tokens.

you can pick from four years: 1981, 1983, 1986, and 1992. Each one samples machines that would have been in arcades that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXzioeBmPCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6aNPsjNwFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQs1P8m_Ik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVdREXnOLM

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I miss CB radio being a thing. Good times.

My dad had a CB radio in our ?? year station wagon with the fake wood panels on the side. At home, we had an Apple II, dot matrix printer, and his home CB radio setup in the weird side room with the cat litter box. I can't remember if it was the radio or a separate unit, but the home setup had knobs so you could pitch shift or add tremolo and other goofy poo poo to your voice. As kids we didn't get to play with it all the time because we would give truckers bad directions like turn right -> turn right -> turn right -> turn right and they would realize they went in a circle. I wish I could remember all the cool handles we used for our names... they were mostly allusions to Super Nintendo games.

Kelp Me! posted:

I remember playing Virtual On

This was my favorite arcade game back in the day. As a fighter game, it's not that different from Tekken or Soul Calibur. But the big seated cabinets with the joysticks were so dope. It felt like you were piloting a gundam. The in-game movement wasn't clunky, but had some heft to it. Really added to the feel. I also remember it was one of those games where a lot of the cabinets had hosed up joysticks from kids going berserk and slamming them like their life depended on it.

SEKCobra posted:

I don't get people with no sense of direction, I was out and about just exploring some roads and my phone locked up and I couldn't get it to work within reasonable time since it was dying at that time, I just used road signs and scenery to orient myself. I still got home.

If you're on or near a main road with route signs, the only excuse you have for not finding your way home is ignorance. I know the general layout of all the major roads in my part of the state. With that knowledge all you gotta do is drive until you hit one (or even a roadsign telling you where it is) then you can orient yourself and find the way home. You can go somewhere you've never been before and still figure it out. The only time I really get "lost" is hiking and camping, when you're in a rural country as gently caress landscape, or better yet a blob of state forest preserve. No cell phone connection, poorly marked/unmarked and sometimes washed out/impassable dirt roads if it's the wrong time of year. I keep a road map/topographical atlas of my state under the back seat for this, definitely obsolete for most drivers. Great when you're in bumfuck nowhere and the road just ends. The topo elevation maps are nice for bushwhacking off marked hiking trails or walking up dry creek bed as well.

I think it was this thread but maybe I'm wrong, Aus goons were talking about how open/empty it is between the heavily populated coastal areas. I think the farthest I've been from civilization here in NY state was about 30 miles deep in the Adirondack wilderness. You could still walk to the nearest house (lol if it's an empty seasonal cabin), or march back into town in a life-or-death situation. It's crazy to think about being 4 hours of highway from the nearest gas station/crossroads town.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

empty baggie posted:

Exactly, and pretty much any dash kit is going to make the aftermarket stereo look decent.

The only time you're going to run into an issue installing an aftermarket deck is when the car has other features integrated into the factory stereo, like AC controls and whatnot, but I've only had one car that the stereo absolutely couldn't be replaced (Volvo S40). Most stereos can still be swapped out, even if it looks like it cannot be at first glance. The easiest way for someone to find out if they can swap their stereo is by going to crutchfield.com and entering in your make and model, and the website will tell you which decks will fit and what extras you will need for installation (dashboard kits, steering wheel control modules, etc.). The industry isn't as dead as some people here make it out to be.

My Volvo S80 has a pretty similar integrated dash to the S40.

I just said gently caress it and bought a tape deck adapter to plug my phone into. Yes, it sounds worse than an aux jack on an aftermarket stereo. I can only control the volume from the steering wheel. But that's okay. Everything's going to be okay. Namaste.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

empty baggie posted:

That top one can be swapped out. The S40 I had was more similar to the bottom one, where the AC and other system controls were integrated into the stereo. Anyway, there are still ways to add aux ports and subwoofers and such to those stereos without changing out the factory stereo. They just take some research and some aftermarket parts that are hidden, like DAC units that can be hidden under the seat or in the trunk.

The bottom one is the one I have Some day I might eventually pull it apart to get an aux cable on there, but I have always been a bare-bones car kind of person. There are some pretty slick looking whole dash replacement parts out there, but they cost a significant portion of what I paid for the entire car. All the rubberized bits are starting to disintegrate and get sticky, but hey they still work.

To keep things on topic, someone posted a loving gorgeous stock radio/dash a while ago, I think from the 80s or early 90s. Anyone else have a particular model of car that they love just for the dashboard aesthetics? Personally I really like the big honking chrome knobs and wood paneling type, but early all-digital stuff is great too. I know personally what a piece of rear end it can be to try and modify "integrated" designs, but when they are done right why would you ever want to?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 188 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Dick Trauma posted:

I think it would've been easier to get old fogies to switch to PC word processing if the case had a little aromatherapy pod that emitted the scent of warm machine oil.

Thank you for switching to paperless billing! Here's an ozone scented air freshener to help you move past the loss of your laserjet.

I actually did get rid of my printer moving into my current (small) apartment. It was a trusty old LaserJet 2100 with duplex. Got it for free at my old computer recycling job. It was nearing 100k pages printed but worked like new. Much like postage stamps or writing a check, I only really NEED to print something 2 or 3 times a year.

Someone did take it off the curb when I was moving out. Maybe it's still out there, chugging away with the same used toner cartidge I got with it. Those things last forever for home use...

Platystemon posted:

This is the industry that created technical pens so your lines will always be precise thickness.

It is really satisfying to doodle with these things. It's like you can bold your pen, and the superfine ones are great for wispy, tufty textures. It is so satisfying to me that it makes me feel a little when I get really into it.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Jun 28, 2017

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

This was many pages back, but people were talking about what they label their PCs/network devices/storage drives as. I have used Wikipedia's "random page" link for years now. Cycle it until you find something worth dedicating to a title. I do mine in allcaps BECAUSE.

SAINT CECILIA
ASTON MARTIN VANQUISH
SCLERODERRIS CANKER
BLANDINIA
BERLIN STATE ELECTION 1946
DOCTOR MATEO
MATANZAS HIGH SCHOOL
THE SUNSHINE FIX
BATES TOURIST COURT
NOVA NEAR ORBIT VANGUARD ALLIANCE
ROYAL TRAIN
DAN DUQUETTE SPORTS ACADEMY

My most often used/current USB drive is always titled HORSE PORN VISUAL ENCYCLOPEDIA though, because if I ever lose it I can smile whilst imagining the face of horror someone will make when they plug it into their computer.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Buttcoin purse posted:

Those names are way too long:

15 character limit!

then you just have to shuffle through wiki pages for a longer time to meet your requirements. Don't tell me you wouldn't name a drive ROYAL TRAIN

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

It was either this thread or the other redundant obsolete tech megathread that introduced me to LGR, but that was some great poo poo to watch right before bed and fall asleep to. I'm running out of episodes now though. Any other Youtube channels with hundreds of videos reviewing old games and tech?

It's not boring to me, but makes for a nice interesting backdrop to keep my brain busy so it doesn't think about stressful things before I conk out. LGR has a fairly relaxed narrating voice compared to other Youtube games/tech people and I wish I could find more like that.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I love the mental image of a cartoon thief with Zorro mask, black/white striped prison garb, and a giant bag of loot over his shoulder trying to open that thing. Maybe he has an iron ball chained to his ankle too.

Alright, we just gotta... gently caress. gently caress. Maybe if I... gently caress! CARL, GET THE C4 OUT THE VAN. I DON'T CARE IF THIS HOUSE IS A CRATER. I DON'T WANT TO GET THE LOOT OUT. I WANT WHOEVER OWNS THIS PIECE OF poo poo TO KNOW. THAT THEY CAN GO SHOVE THEIR ENTIRE HEAD UP THEIR rear end! Get the, yeah, the gasoline too.

edit: there is no treasure in the safe. the real treasure is the felonies we commited on the way.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Mar 28, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Shut up Meg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXC4TXexrLI

What's is that the lyrics are 32 years old, yet not obsolete.

[QUOTE]Big Mac, Mc DLT, a Quarter-Pounder with some cheese, Filet-O-Fish, a hamburger, a cheeseburger, a Happy Meal. McNuggets, tasty golden french fries, regular or larger size, and salads: chef salad or garden, or a chicken salad oriental. Big Big Breakfast, Egg McMuffin, hot hot cakes, and sausage. Maybe biscuits, bacon, egg and cheese, a sausage, danish, hash browns too. And for dessert hot apple pies, and sundaes three varieties, a soft-serve cone, three kinds of shakes, and chocolatey chip cookies. And to drink a Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, and orange drink, A Sprite and coffee, decaf too, A lowfat milk, also an orange juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7i9inHZIHw

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I remember getting real mad that later releases of the Wii and PS3 dropped support for older systems. PS3 in particular, because I never owned a PlayStation back in the day...

But I bought a bunch of PS1 discs in the late 00s and a PSX to play them on my piece of poo poo tiny bedroom standard def CRT TV. The thought of playing them on a flatscreen, upscaled, got me so excited. By the time I was ready to buy a PS3, the current models no longer supported playing PS1 games. I still have a pile of PS1 JRPGs that I will probably never play, besides Chrono Cross because I played that one on my lovely tiny pre-HD TV and now I want to play it again.

I was gifted a late model Wii for Christmas circa... 2010-2012? and got so excited that I could replay those Gamecube discs that had been in the closet forever. The early model Wiis could play GC discs, but not the one I got. It became a dedicated Netflix peripheral until we got a smart TV many years later...

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

LifeSunDeath posted:

always wanted a japanese micro truck, but drat they do not seem comfortable to ride in

As A Slightly Tall Person, I feel I would be physically unable to drive this. I have sat in the driver seat of several mass market US cars and even with the seat back all the way my knees/thighs are on the bottom of the steering wheel. Never mind the fact that the wheel wells are part of your foot space.

Can you drive this if you are not a manlet? My mother in law had a Mitsubishi Lancer that I could not drive. My legs were so tight against the steering wheel I could not turn.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Killingyouguy! posted:

Noone is mentioning the GameCube controller bc it is the best designed controller in history and continues to not be obsolete nor failed. Nothing but respect

it has been years but i remember getting really Video Game Angry about games that used the left joystick and the C joystick for movement/aim control because they were not symmetrical and it felt weird (but not actually an issue in practice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I've posted before about the 36" Trinitron I used to have, and how much of a bitch it was to bring up one flight of stairs, and I thought the 2 people that came to take it for free were going to kill themselves in the stairwell. Their car sagged like the back two tires were flat once it was loaded and they drove away.

I never mentioned where it came from. It was one of the screens in a sports bar that finally updated to flatscreen/HD.

It was a cartoon anvil that hung over the heads of bartenders for at least 10 years. A Bachanallian sword of Damocles.

Wall mounts back then must have been insane, compared to the weight a modern wall mount is expected to hold.