Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

leidend posted:

I have a 100hp Mazda 2 with auto and live and work on the coast mountains of British Columbia with no problem. Get some momentum going and any hill is ok.

On the other hand there are no highways in most of Vancouver so manuals are a tedious pain when you have to stop every two blocks.

How are you supposed to build up momentum if you're doing 20 up the mountain highway with 500 other cars?

I drove a stick from Ontario to Atlanta, GA and back, then to BC a year later. The car handled everything fine, until Vancouver traffic killed it within a month. It's not fair to have LA traffic and BC geography. I agree that manual cars are way more enjoyable to drive but I gave up and bought an auto when I had the chance because I already knew what I was in for. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

^^

It's the opposite. I build furniture for a living so I literally put screws into and out of things all day. I can say for certain that I have 7 different flavours of Phillips floating around in my case and still manage to never have the right one not to strip the loving screw. However I have three sizes of robertsons - one which gets used for 90% of new stuff I build and the other two are barely used except for someone using oddball hardware.

My one single Robertson S2 bit has seen me through six months or more, has never been stripped, and never stripped a screw that wasn't already damaged.

Also I think it might be in my genetic code as a Canadian to defend robertson screws from blasphemy, sorry.

e - Screws can be serious business. Our furniture supplier switched screw suppliers, and as a result everything shipped with hardware had these wood screws without a shovel point. They were so bad that the company switched back and personally sent reps out to EVERY new build job site in North America with a bag of old screws until they were back in circulation with new product. They showed up with a bag of 500 and spent ten minutes apologizing for the inconvenience. A mind boggling amount of money was spent correcting that mistake.

Caedus has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jun 19, 2014

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

What's the advantage of Robertson vs Allen? They seem pretty similar apart from being 4 vs 6 points.

I'm personally a fan of Torx, at least for applications where getting grime into the heads isn't an issue.. But I guess that's a problem for Robertson and Allen as well.

But Philips can go gently caress itself, and take Pozidriv with it.

I come across torx and and allen heads often, and they're easy to use with a drill or hand driver. My main complaint is whoever thought phillips wood screws should be included with something without pilot holes. If I put a robertson, torx, or allen on my drill then have to operate it upside down with one hand, any one of those will stay on the bit until it catches. I have met no such phillips that allows me to do that and irritates me when they are included in stuff where that is clearly going to be a problem. I end up just keeping a small supply of my own hardware with me to avoid the hassle if it comes up.

However I admit that as a tool that every person owns and can operate, most everything consumer friendly will use Phillips and for 98% of the planet it's good enough to get by on.

Keiya: That may have been true, but it isn't anymore. They're as widely available as any other type now, and have become the standard in my industry and others.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That generation of thinkpad has a base station deal that adds extra ports. I just threw one out yesterday. Best laptops from the win 98 era were those Sony VIAO 505's that were small as gently caress. I had one and it weighed maybe 1 pound and was less than half an inch thick. It was so small that to plug it into a modem you had to use a pop out port because the body of the computer was too thin to have one.

I do corporate moves, and I see a LOT of those around. They security dock in with a key for places like health clinics and such, and have 6 extra USB ports, VGA monitor, printer port and battery backup. They actually make a lot of sense for those kinds of places.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

If you want a carpet bong that's not $2000, they have the H20 Vac.
http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Filtration-System-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B001MEZN5K

$400 or so but that's just the first hit. They're not built as heavy as the Rainbow vacs but they're also not the price of a used car.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised that bringing up the Mold-A-Rama elicited such a widespread response. Maybe this one will do the same.

When I was a kid Radio Shack was the place to go for technology. They had an array of these electronic lab kits and I remember spending an awful lot of time working with mine. I believe this was my exact model, and goddamn if it wasn't an exciting introduction to space-age electronics. At least in 1975!

My sister recently bought an updated version of that for her class. I got to check it out before she took it to school. I'll have to ask how it went over.
Comparing it to that, it's pretty much the same but.. safer. Snap on connection, everything wrapped in thick plastic, foam blades for the motor. I guess it's all the same to the kids, really, if they're picking up on it anyway.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Last Christmas, I bought something like that for my nephew.

Like you said, everything snaps into place, thick plastic everywhere ,etc...

Might not be the exact same product, but close enough.

He loves it, too. Despite being all "digital this" and "iPad that" he still loves physical toys and building poo poo. My sister hates me for always getting him things like that, Lego, etc... because it results in small pieces getting lost and stepped on.

Hey that was it! The kids are middle school age but my sister is great for using stuff like that to teach concepts to tech-head kids.

There was a school camping trip last weekend she brought the kids on. To enforce lights out, they took away all the electronics (phones, DSes, etc) and told the kids when to be up. Turns out a bunch of 14 year olds don't wear watches so nobody could actually set an alarm without a phone. I'd be all smug, "kids these days" except the alarm on my new phone failed for some reason and made me late for work today. I don't even own an alarm clock so I gambled, having no other options for a morning alarm, and I lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hold up--like two months ago, I got roasted by goons for asking the same question about a machine that wasn't even mine (I was helping a friend rehab a machine she'd "lost" the charger to and had since replaced).

What the gently caress has changed since then? Is EDGETM now not just a rebranded Internet Explorer? Does Win10 now not share your loving WEP key with anyone nearby, out-of-the-box? Has it stopped using your bandwidth to provide updates to strangers whose machines happen to be within your WiFi range? Do you now not have to dig for ages through myriad menus to disable every privacy-compromising option that is enabled by default? Do auto-updates now not put a bunch of poo poo you don't want on your computer when you're not looking or when you specifically have said not to more than once?

I don't mean to be overly combative here but holy poo poo to go from "dude no" to "definitely do it" all of a sudden means I've got something wrong or y'all motherfuckers are actually Windows 10 stealing goons' logins

Seriously, this! I've been ignoring the upgrade for months because goons were so vocal about the privacy stuff. I figured if I needed to jump through that many hoops to make it Windows 7-ish, I'd just stick it out with 7 for as long as I could. Has any of this changed? It's kind of a baffling turn-around in opinion from everything else I've read up to now.