Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

eddiewalker posted:

The handwriting recognition only worked if you were willing to learn their special system of glyphs.

It was also super slow for text entry.

The very late PalmOS devices had essentially natural recognition, if, ah, you naturally wrote something like grade school print. Only the Ts and 4s were fussy, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Slanderer posted:

Except that it's a feature that few people want, so even if chipsets support it, the carriers aren't going to write the software to support it.

I don't think my iPhone-sized hardware is capable of communicating ad-hoc across five miles of oak forest, for instance.

It'd be an exceptionally nice functionality in dense urban environments, though, except when you need to call 911 at two in the morning and nobody is on the streets except your assailants.

e: Carriers need to write their own radios, to talk to their networks. Those are software-defined.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Lurking Haro posted:

So iPhones have the necessary software for any carrier worldwide loaded?
You know there are cellphone standards like GSM or UMTS? Compatible cellphones only need a valid SIM to connect to them, no custom radios.

iPhones have the necessary hardware for any network. They require a firmware element, the radio or baseband, to define the frequency bands to transmit and receive on, and the formats for transmitting and receiving on those bands, and to translate the software's data into the appropriate format, so that the hardware can transmit it. A GSM phone can connect to any network with the appropriate SIM because, as you say, the GSM protocol is standard, and because the provisioning is linked to the SIM; CDMA systems are linked to the device itself and don't give you any easy way of swapping networks because they're assholes, but it can still be done.

Neither of these have anything to do with the physical radio; they're handled by the baseband. The transmitting hardware for an iPhone is identical regardless of carrier region, or network protocol; I won't guarantee that a CDMA handset has a SIM slot, as I haven't handled one. A Nexus 5 does, and in fact defaults to a LTE/CDMA/GSM radio mode. Sprint rolled out new, additional LTE bands not long ago, and they had to push a radio update to everyone so that their devices could use them.

Updated basebands are typically released with OS updates, and you shouldn't have to know about it as a day to day user. Custom basebands do in fact exist to allow a handset to connect to other carrier's networks that they would otherwise be unable to recognize.

Adding a new network band or protocol would involve writing that new network band and protocol into the baseband for whichever device you planned to use it with; unless your desired band was far outside those allocated for either wifi or mobile data use, you are correct, it would not require any custom hardware.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

robodex posted:

Eh sort of. In reality, it's less "your carrier is holding an update back" and more "your carrier doesn't want to invest the time and money testing the update completely with their network and all their branded cruft." There's really no financial benefit for them to do it and it's one of the biggest and most glaring flaws with Android.

In most cases it's the manufacturer holding the update back; Samsung needs to TouchWiz everything because they really want to be their own ecosystem, and HTC/LG/Motorola each to some degree want to customise their builds for their devices, maybe to use some exclusive functionality or whatever.

Ceasing to update devices past one or two iterations is a decision largely based on the two-year cellphone upgrade life cycle, and partially on the sometimes huge fundamental differences between apparently incremental Android version updates.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

What about those dot matrix printers, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_vXA058EDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvcGpXwLUo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlEUrEVqDbo

Years ago, I scored several reams of dot matrix printing paper from an office cleanout. Used it for sketching and drawing, mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8RAbWs1yo

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I was very happy with my VAIO network for its entire tenure as my primary portable computer, although possibly because it replaced a 20" fuckoff desktop replacement laptop.

It lacks the guts for even Vista, so after XP's end of life it got a Debian install, and does media duty on my TV.

Its replacement is a Lenovo 'ultrabook', which fills the network's role pretty exactly, except while being usefully powerful.

I've tried a tablet as a primary device and I really can't dig it. Perhaps it's just inertia, though.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

That's a different disease.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

nihilistic_fish posted:

I would think making GBS threads water would not help with water usage issues unless he was using his liquid shits to run the toilet or something... unless I am missing something?

He just doesn't generate anything, though, the water is reabsorbed like normal.

I can't remotely comprehend that it was done intentionally, mind you.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
If it conducts electricity, induction cooktops will work with it.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Buttcoin purse posted:

Do you need a special type of fire extinguisher for a NeXT cube then, or do you just have to let it burn out?

Those systems are what some of the DOOM development was done on, right?

Class D extinguishers, but if you have more than one of those fuckers on a bench you should basically just bail.

In a pinch, a fuckload of sand and/or rocksalt is alright.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
SwiftKey definitely has options for arrow keys and a persistent number row.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
SwiftKey is third-party but has the ability to remove single strings.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Nothing is obsolete about this, I don't give half a gently caress :swoon:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Can't go through a USB-parallel intermediary?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Humphreys posted:

Na it's soley for a DB25 only host. I'm tearing down the original PCB and testing components (it's pretty dumb with a 7805, a diode, two caps and a DPDT relay) and tracing out the PCB for signs of failure due to corrosion. Would kinda like a new solution too as a backup/option.

At that point I think I'd just roll my own, honestly.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I'm big on swiftkey since 8pen died.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
A vector crt does not have pixels, it has an uninterrupted layer of phosphor that the beam draws onto.

The beam does not scan across the display line by line, it draws each shape and moves on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Where do you stand on, like, Hand Tool Rescue?