Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Here you go mate:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100325...mondo-shop.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I had this for years when I was younger, I bought it myself second hand and it was incredible. Forever afterwards, whenever my parents bought me some electronic something, it was always Archos because of how much I loved this one.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I'm a Scout Leader (UK). Our kids parents mostly pay their terms subscriptions with cheques. It's easier for us than cash, as we don't want unlabelled cash floating around, and it discourages people from paying in shrapnel. We don't have card readers and things for payment that way.

There's a reason we haven't set up bank transfers and direct debiting and stuff, but I can't remember what it is...

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is there to "set up" for bank transfers?

Ah I can't remember. I leave all that stuff to our treasurer, I became a Scout Leader to play in the woods and start fires and things, not to worry about finances and banking.

I know that some groups have problems with bank transfers because they come from bank accounts associated with parents and guardians, and the surnames are often different from the kids, so it can be difficult to match up who has paid and who hasn't.

It's also a lot easier to "dodge" paying us if you say that you'll pay for your kids term when you get home and deal with your online banking.

This is not just one or two, it's a hundred kids, and it's a lot easier to just flip through a 100 checks with the kids name written on the back than it is to check our online bank account for transfers from different accounts.

So I guess when I say "Set-up" I don't mean with the bank, I mean us internally setting up a system wherein we can monitor, check and tally who has and hasn't paid.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Cash cards - Used to remove cash from an ATM
Debit Cards - Remove money straight from your account
Credit Cards - Buy things on credit to be paid back later
Pre-Pay Cards - Top up cards with cash, use like a debit card

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

I've never heard of a cash card, seems kinda pointless . Debit cards serve that function. Credit cards will also work at an ATM but you'll get charged a higher interest rate. Some banks have begun offering combined debit/credit cards. Functions as a debit card until you run out of money in that account, and instead of overdrafting, it'll charge the remainder to your credit account.

Cash cards are usually given to young people (kids) opening their first account. At least they were when me and my friends started getting old enough to open accounts. I think my younger sister had one for a while as well.

Tears In A Vial has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Oct 3, 2012

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Windows Key is awesome, and anyone that doesn't use it is missing out.

I use all of these every day:

Win = Start Menu
Win+D = Desktop
Win+R = Run
Win+E = Explorer
Win+F = Finder
Win+L = Lock Desktop
Win+M = Minimize
Win+Shift+M = Un-minimize
Win+Arrow Keys = Do some stuff to your current browser window

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I had completely forgot that I'd been on a Paternoster until I read about it in this thread. It was cool.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

TurboTax posted:

Not completely obsolete yet, but what about wooden escalators?

The only time I've ever been on one was three or four years ago in the Paris Metro - apparently it was in the La Motte-Picquet station and still exists. Google also just told me that there's one at the original Macy's in New York.

Yes! Time for my favourite London Underground facts.

Following the Kings Cross London Underground fire, all the wooden escalators were removed due them being a fire hazzard. The only one to survive is at Greenford Station in West London! It's also the only escalator on the whole network which leads UP from street level, to the platform.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

TinTower posted:

time!

The name "London Underground" is a misnomer because 55% of the network is actually above ground! Outside Central London, and inside some parts, the network is basically cobbled together former electric railway lines from the early 20th century.

Hell, the network isn't even isolated; the Bakerloo like north of Queen's Park shares space (but not track) with the West Coast Main Line and Watford DC line (one of the few third-rail train lines north of the Thames) and the Met north of Baker Street shares space, and north of Harrow, track, with the Chiltern line to Aylesbury.

Such is the relationship with the Chiltern line that in the thirties the London Underground network actually reached into parts of rural Buckinghamshire. You know Granborough Road, the tube station mentioned in Skyfall? It actually existed until 1936, and was over thirty miles from London.

Oh, and Greenford isn't the only tube station with escalators taking you above ground to the platform. Stratford's Central Line platforms are in the high-level part of the station and you will need to use escalators or stairs in the station to get to them from the High Street.

Ah, it seems that part of my fact is out of date by two years. The redevelopment of Stratford apparently added a teeny tiny escalator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Plinkey posted:

gently caress yeah they were.

I used this thing for probably 3-4 years until the hard drive finally got so hosed up that it wouldn't spin anymore and I resigned myself to an Ipod which at the time I thought was inferior because I think RockBox was out by then.

I picked this is up in 2001 a bit after they came out. For some reason Circuit City was having a 50% off or so sale on them and I got my 17 year old rear end down to Circuit City as fast as I could that Sunday morning after I saw the ad in the paper.

This MP3 player has kept me with Archos ever since, even though nothing has quite lived up to how much I loved this one. Once you had Rockbox installed it was incredible.