Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Oddly enough, in retrospect the sort of stuff people recorded off TV back in the 80s and 90s onto VHS that is probably worth keeping is the stuff that they worked hard to keep from saving in the first place: Old commercials.

Most TV shows and movies have probably ended up on streaming or DVD in the years since for probably less than the cost of the blank VHS tape, but stuff like old ads (regional and national) are probably sort of lost to the ages. In hindsight, I sort of wish in the 90s I spent less time hitting pause during commecial breaks. They're a nice, strange little time capsule to the various years when you want to remember not just the entertainment that was popular, but the products and services, too.

Sort of like a few years ago I was watching an old VHS tape and saw ads for things like Sam Goody and Suncoast and with a select pop titles, or old SURGE(!) commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oemoqEuJdFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6wFr2SHsmY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

When USB first came out I pictured daisy-chaining up to 127 devices as literally connecting half a dozen devices in a line, input to output to input. Obviously hubs are a whole lot more practical, but my FireWire drives do have two ports for that purpose. Probably because no one has enough FireWire devices to need a hub.

I was just trying to figure out if anyone had daisy-chained USB devices, but I forgot a hub or keyboard USB ports are a daisy chain.

Back in like 2001 I had a Maxtor USB hard drive that had a normal USB port on the back to plug another thing into, I used that a lot.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Trabant posted:

But Fab 1 fits the thread topic perfectly! :haw:

Anyway, following links from the :gb2gbs: thread dedicated to the same topic, Gene Roddenberry's floppy disks were finally read:

from this article.

Custom OS? That's... wholly unnecessary, even in the 80s. Hardcore though.

PC World says the disks were DOS and CP/M.

Apparently the actual computer type is unknown, though.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I still just use the firewire output on my STB to watch and record stuff on my computer.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I remember wanting this back in the day.

It plugs into your Playstation and then you can (presumably very poorly) play MP3s from a CD.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

whiteyfats posted:

Nintendo had the first draft of the best controller with the SNES, then Sony perfected it.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

haha what

the original ps3 hack plugged into the USB port and sent commands to the ps3 (or something)

anything that could be plugged into the usb port and run a program could be used to hack it.

heres some nerd doin it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suh4wCdmTwI

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Phanatic posted:

There's more to it than that. You're assuming that each chip can do one operation per clock cycle, and then concluding that since the 8088 ran at 4x the processor speed that it was 4x faster.

It's more complicated than that. It's difficult to just do a straight comparison in performance like that between two different CPUs, because of the different architectures and way they operate. This is an example of additional complications:

https://trixter.oldskool.org/2011/06/04/at-a-disadvantage/

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I mean, Intel was making 386 processors until 2007.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i use EADF for games, ive never found WASD to be comfortable

i use the apple wired mini keyboard tho so idk maybe that has something to do with it.

in the 90s i had a model m on my 486 and i thought it sounded cool when you typed fast, so i practiced typing quickly so it sounded cool

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNP9b3aIfY

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

wanna talk about cooling?

this is the 1999ish era KryoTech Cool K6-2 or K6-3, idk there were multiple ones

it was a prebuilt system that was designed for overclocking the AMD processors in them

what's the big lump thing at the bottom?

not much just pretty much a refrigerator

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Rap Game Goku posted:

Oh yes, I wasn't sure if the physical discs were still around. Seems like something that would get dumped in a landfill pretty quickly. I know nothing about the technical aspects, so I don't know how difficult it would be to pull the data off of them (not that other ways to get at that don't exist).

i used to see them at thrift stores sometimes.

as far as i know they haven't been cracked or anything so there is no way to play them now. all the movies are available on other formats so there's really no interest in cracking it, i guess, but i thought someone would have done it already at least for the challenge

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Trabant posted:

Dewey decimal system but on the internet.

Dewey would've loved certain parts of the internet.

after reading that i thought "ok so was dewey a perv or a racist?" and so i had to look it up and it turns out, both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

I'm struggling to figure out what technology they used in the 70s to flash "TIME TO gently caress" on the watch face every 30 seconds. Some sort of mechanical sliding letters?

i found a video of one -

NSFW (nudity)
https://imgur.com/D36nODM

looks like a polarization filter or something that rotates along with the second hand