Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

kith_groupie posted:

But if you want to talk about obsolete Dutch tech let's talk the strippenkaart.

I don't know if they had it in other countries, but I imagine they did.

They had something like that in Vienna, when I visited in 2007 - for €24 you could get eight days of travel on any form of local public transport; you had to punch the card for every day you travelled. Frankly, I hope they never phase them out (perfect for a week's holiday!)... even though I don't ever recall seeing a sign telling you you had to punch it in one of the unlabelled yellow machines in the underground. The only reason I didn't get in trouble was because I noticed people punching them a split second before I saw the ticket inspectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

TinTower posted:

1994, actually.

It was seen as such a common domestic skill it took EU legislation to change the British attitude. :v:

I was taught how to wire a plug in primary school in the 1990s (I imagine it made a suitably low-budget science lesson). I've never actually had to wire a plug in my life, but I suppose I could if I really needed to.