Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, pretty much. It's a 5-digit keypad with 5^n possible combinations, and it just happens to have both digits on each key there so that you can still set it to your birthday or your bank card number or whatever hideously insecure sequence you like. I don't know how long the sequence is, but I would hope at least 5 digits, which gives you 3125 possible combinations.

Luckily, I don't think that allows you to start the car, so the worst that'd happen is someone steals your stereo and shits everywhere etc.

You can't start the car, but I never found a way to reprogram the keypad on my '91 Taurus - the owner's manual had a card with the 5-digit number printed on it taped to the cover. It was just a convenience feature that gave me some terrible habits about leaving my keys on the seat or in the glovebox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The reason for a separate key* is so that if you give your key to the valet (or some other service person), they can't get into the trunk or glovebox.

(*as I was told when I asked about it when I was young)