Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

TerryLennox posted:

A bit off topic but whats with consumer electronics manufacturers choosing the most idiotically powerful LEDs in all devices? Air conditioning, computer cases, TVs, everything has its own LED that unless taped over, will put enough light on your bedroom to prevent sleep.

Wish they included a dimmer or off switch for status LEDs.

Or you could just actually turn your electrical equipment off instead of spending money and killing the planet by leaving it on standby all night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Zig-Zag posted:

I feel like my car is full of obsolete things... Manuel windows, stick shift and a zune hd (which I love).

Manual windows aren't obsolete, or at least they shouldn't be.
If I drive into a river I want to be able to open my windows, not have them short out and trap me in my soon-to-be-hearse.

Okay, sure, I can carry a glass-breaker in my glove box, but I'd rather not have the problem in the first place.
Yes, I know I could also avoid it by not driving into rivers thank you for telling me.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

One of my teachers told us about something similar. They had the command line locked down in Windows, and someone made a text file that just said "CMD" and changed the extension to a .exe

So stupidly simple.

I remember my school's computers had 'RM Safety Net', which was a useless pile of garbage.
You weren't supposed to be able to access the C: drive, and they had disabled the ability to create shortcuts...

But not the ability to do a local hyperlink in Word. Which could give you access not only to the C: drive, but also to all the servers accessible over the network...

I could probably have put the whole lot out of commission for a good day or two, (or longer depending on how well they backed everything up).

And I found a website which had a list of the default passwords used for the setup user accounts. Which our techs hadn't changed half of. Whoops.

(I thought I was such a 1337 H4X0R it's frankly embarrassing in retrospect...)

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Tab number 9": "How to Identify a Female"

:goonsay: Also it's undoubtedly 'Font' based on the other tab he has about trying to find a font.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Red_October_7000 posted:

I just turned up my camera for these. It's a very nice Sony model, still in its shipping box.

But the reason I came here today, goon sirs, is to present you with the Dialoc!

:allears:

I don't care if they're useless, I want one.
It looks like something out of Bioshock in the best possible way!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

mystes posted:

Huh? You realize cellular just means they use "cells" (areas covered by a network of geographically distributed base stations), right? It doesn't imply a specific encoding or anything.

Huh!
I always thought it was because they were powered by batteries (of dry cells).
:themoreyouknow:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Computer viking posted:

It's laughably bad if you've got any sort of accent - like, say, a Norwegian one - and they never did get around to adding Norwegian voice input. Oh, and to be allowed to use the English voice input you have to set the console region to an English-speaking country, but then it locks out random parts of your games library because your version isn't available in that region, and you need a payment card registered in that region to use the store.

Oh yeah, and the camera auto-login never did recognise the boyfriend (who uses the Xbox the most), but it certainly insisted that chairs and pillows were other people.

Ugghhh, we have to test Kinect functionality in our games at work, and it is the worst. Honk if you hate XR 115!
It once refused to acknowledge my face in favour of the back of a colleague's head.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I am so old that I think convertibles with automatic roofs are still magic. I remember my dad making me get out and help him put the roof down on our old Rabbit. I also recently came across someone who wanted a car with manual windows because he felt that was more "authentic'. Dude is only 22, there is no way he ever was in a car with manual windows unless his parents had an old beater around.

I'm only 27 and I'm pretty sure my parents still had cars with manual windows up 'til I was at least 10. :shrug:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Letmebefrank posted:

Those guys are *thin*! I thought that the Brits had good food supplies all the way through the war?

Maybe it is just the cooking? :agesilaus:

I hate to break it to you but aside from the guy in the back middle they all have pretty normal builds.

Maybe your idea of a normal weight is just broken? :btroll:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Even if theoretically the data is on disc, there will always be a 100 GB release‐day patch.

*sigh*
I do compliance testing for games, and the problem is us! Or more specifically, publication turnaround time.

See, the game's "finished", but it still needs to be submitted to MS/Sony so they can make sure we're following all their XRs/TRCs. Then after that, assuming it's been approved, we need to send it for disk pressing which takes time in itself. But of course, all the work the devs are doing after the point at which we submit to MS/Sony can't go into the "release" build that's on the disks, because it hasn't been approved by them. So anything after that submission becomes part of the day 1/day 0 patch.
Valve have less stringent submission checks (basically none, in fact) but we (and probably almost every other multiplat dev) keep the build content in lockstep across platforms.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

I remember there was a project review meeting for executives at Microsoft in the mid 90s that a coworker was in and they couldn't get the signal to the giant CRT monitor in the conference room working. While they were scrambling to fix it Bill Gates dryly suggested pushing the degauss button to fix it.

And did it work?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Seriously guys, should I back this poo poo up before I wipe it? Being a 44 year old dinosaur, I got cake platters of CDs and DVDs to put it on hard media, and this old laptop has a burner. I don't think I've stumbled on anything other than some random crap a Raytheon jock who knows poo poo about security put on here, but just in case....

Burn it to two CDs. Store one in a box in your attic, as far towards the back as possible, and cover it with dust. This will be your insurance.
Wrap the second CD in a ziplock bag. Go to the park on the east side of town, and find the oboe player. Put two quarters in their cap, and ask them where "Charles's Bench" is. They will ask if you mean "Charlie". Say no.
They will indicate one of the park benches. Duct tape the CD to the underside of the bench and walk away. Do not look back.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Jabor posted:

It's dumb as hell, and the rest of the world laughs at your inability to write out the actual price of things.

Not Japan. I went there on holiday last year, and they also don't list tax on their prices. :japan:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

The cyan/magenta pallet was far superior to the red/green pallet.

Removing one's own eyes with a corkscrew would be superior to red/green VGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Women tend to get into the "Crystals and stones" type thing*. Same made up bullshit, just "Natural" instead of 3 inch thick garden hose cables.

* As opposed to the "Audiophile movement and not a :biotruths: thing.

Oh drat, I never thought of the audiophile thing being essentially a male-targeted equivalent of the healing crystal bullshit! :allears:

Wow, I wanna troll some cable bros now.