Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zasraik posted:

The beeper.

Not a failure, just obsolete.

Every kid these days has a smart phone and a laptop but I remember when you could tell the swag girls from the powhitetrash by beeper ownership.

"Someone is trying to call me!"

Don't medical people still use pagers? What with the whole "no cellphone use in the hospital" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a little 2gig flash memory Creative player, with like a ten line LCD screen. No playlist support but by god it was easy to use, just hook it up like a thumbdrive and swap poo poo on and off. And I lost track of how many times I dropped it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I actually worked for Wang Global for a while back in the 1990s and it was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my career. A far cry from the original Wang Laboratories.

Well, that doesn't surprise me coming from you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You wanna talk slow refresh rates, this was the first video linked from that splitflap clock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_mA72r3ZiQ

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I realise GPS and large, HD screens that can do other things than show a map are ultimately better technologies, but this is so loving cool.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Good grief, I feel like I'm watching the intro to The Wedge.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

longview posted:

crazy finns

Are there other kinds of finn?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

Is that in Ignition! or is there anything online about it? As you might imagine, searching for "mercury rocket" doesn't help much.

It's in Ignition immediately following the passage about dimethylmercury.

e: The author, who worked in the Jersey lab, wrote up the initial paper as a let's-see-if-this-could-work exercise and submitted it to the government, expecting it to get thrown back. Instead, to everyone's horror, they asked his lab to build it.

Phy has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Jan 10, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BrainParasite posted:

No, no, this is totally appropriate.

The Glitter Boy was not meant to be known outside of a select circle, godDAMMIT ROB

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

Oh God don't say that, it just makes Apple more smug.

"We make the impossible, possible." :smug:

Nah, I think the guys at Zombo have that trademarked.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sweeperbravo posted:

This is a really good way of putting it.
I love the aesthetic but I have a weird propensity toward adoring ugly things v:shobon:v This seems a good reason as any.

I think my fiancee has figured out that if we ever get a house with wood panelling in the basement she's going to have a fight on her hands to get me to get rid of it. We're already seeing places with deep pile carpet, wood panelling has to come back into fashion sometime.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That article doesn't include the scrawled MSPaint-style can of soup.

"Computers, huh? But can I paint a can of soup with it?" *fumble fumble mouse* "Presto!"

I guess in my head Andy Warhol sounds like Jon Lovitz...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

We have a couple of Nokia 100 phones at work that we threaten users with, as in "If you break your phone you get to use this for a week while we order you a replacement."

"We'd like to offer you the use of this indestructible battle-club."

30 SECONDS LATER

"Ow ow ow I'll give you my own phone if you stop beating me with the indestructible battle-club!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A curtain also disrupts air convection, so you don't have so much of a cold loving breeze on your junk screwing with your hot shower zen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So when you say 'come over here' people start looking for a guy with a bad haircut?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Death in your own sock - the ultimate capital punishment.

See and I thought he was going for a Soviet Russia joke. In America, you listen to the Police on casette player! In Soviet Russia, etc

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keiya posted:

Robertson screws are fine in theory, absolutely useless in practice, because the guy refused to let anyone make or use the drat things.

I'da killed my dad if he made me help rebuild the kitchen floor with Philips heads. What's availability like in the States for woodscrews with torx or hex socket heads?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Another fun newsgroup thing. Comedian Kumail Nanjiani has a new podcast called "The X-Files Files" where he's rewatching the whole series, and he's been going back into the alt.tv.xfiles archives from the time and talking about the fan comments from when the episodes aired. The recent show about the episode "E.B.E." had Dean Haglund of the Lone Gunmen on there, and he had some great anecdotes about the relationship between the show's writers and the newsgroup, and how the few dozen fans posting on there changed the whole show.

Had to go back a few pages in the Trek thread in TVIV, but someone posted a link to a newsgroup discussion about the first episode of ST:TNG.

Nerds never fuckin' change.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry if it's already been brought up, but the little NES Classic that Nintendo's releasing next month ships with three display modes: square pixels with no postprocessing, a 4:3 mode that slightly stretches out the screen since apparently the originals weren't quite 4:3, and a "CRT" mode that emulates blur and scanlines.

I'm sure someone will find something to bitch about with that last mode re: it not doing the emulation "right", but the people who care really really hard about it are probably not the people who should be buying a console with no capacity to play anything other than the games preloaded onto it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

I don't know which of the obsolete tech threads is better suited, but here is this amazing re-imagining (?) of everyone's favourite:

The creator has a lot more stuff along that vein here: https://www.instagram.com/julienrivoire/

edit: found via this piece which has an interview with him as well.

The back had better be one giant fuckoff triple-screen for Milkdrop

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sair posted:

I used one of these for years, I still think it was one of the better designs for an mp3 player. Ran off a AAA.

To this day I organize my music by putting it into individual folders and swapping the folders on and off my phone over a cable, and using a music player app that plays nicely with that

Apparently I'm not supposed to do this any more because phones are packed full of "viruses" and "malware"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

If only they all had an online catalog as well made as McMaster-Carr.

If you were locked in an apartment with a credit card, a source of potable water, and a phone that only went to the McMaster app, you could actually live quite comfortably until you died from a vitamin deficiency. (They sell office snacks including energy bars and beef jerky and Gatorade packets. And the energy bars have vitamin c, so no scurvy!)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

I had one of those WinCE phones and yes, they had no idea how to adapt Windows-style UI/UX for something that size.

I never worked as a computer toucher, so I'm just realizing now that the acronym describes the user experience

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've still got my clock/tape radio from when I was, like 12 or 13?

It's loving old, early 90s
Red LEDs to preserve your night vision, SONY YOU IDIOTS
the tape player still works and should still play as an alarm
the FM dangly-wire antenna fell off but I still get passable reception
the volume wheel is a bit borked and there's a fart's ghost's difference between between "secret murmur" and "SPLIT YE EARS"

But conceivably I could plug a car tape adapter into it, plug that into my phone, set them to both go off at the same time and wake to STRESS by Justice but with that warm tape crackle.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Along with a good third to half of Best Western motels.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't "carved into rock somewhere out of the wind and rain" still the most permanent option for recording things?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the Pioneer plaques a bit more, no record grooves but it's got a drawing of naked people and that pulsar diagram so we basically sent nudes and directions to our house

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Don't forget the Horace Smith version

In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Cock

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

When I manned the photo printer more recently than I'd like to admit, film was sent off to Fuji for development, with I think it was a 10 day turn around.

I've been slowly working my way through a (presumably decrepit) roll of black and white on a little olympus Pen EE and I'm legit a bit stoked to try and get it developed, there's a local (chain) drugstore that still has a working photolab

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I've always thought HAM radio guys were the king of the nerds in the old traditional pre-internet heirarchy, above Linux guys, model train guys, and LARPers, before Tumblr added people like Bronies to the list.

I don't know how it is in the states but in my province you can apply for a custom license plate with your ham callsign on it, I've seen a few running around

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

it's legal in the US if you keep it at like a tenth of a watt

before bluetooth was everywhere, I did this with radio, making a teeny tiny FM station that covered the 20' radius of my apartment, so I could listen to whatever on the waterproof shower radio

You can still get fm transmitters that plug into your cigarette lighter port for cars that don't have Bluetooth or an aux jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Were you loving the cube from Hellraiser?

Pinhead: "Buddy, they don't even let me gently caress the cube"