Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I don't know about the Qchord, but the Omnichord is badass and I will hear no criticism of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

Similarly, FM transmitters for MP3 players (to use your iPod without a tape deck or aux in, were big a from the late '90s up until a few years ago when new cars started coming with USB or at least 3.5mm input jacks) and some wireless headsets step on the bottom end of the FM band. I'll be listening to NPR and pass an older car or pull up to the McDonald's window, and it'll go to static.

This is a laaaate quote, but god dammit my car was made in 2006, which in case you can't remember because it was apparently eons ago was well into the digital music age. It came with no aux in, and I still have to use one of these every day. It's infuriating, sounds awful,I feel like a silly techno-Grandpa, and I can't replace the dash audio unit with a new one (without going to the dealer and paying a mint) because it's integrated into the console.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

The car might also have an unused CD changer port on the back that can be adapted to an aux-in. Crutchfield is a pretty good resource for that kind of thing.

In the spirit of this thread, my 2007 Mazda had an unused cassette or Minidisc slot that I'm now using an an aux-in.

Hey now, Minidisc was legit. I actually wish it hadn't perished.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Mellotrons are pretty awesome. This is an equally awesome homemade/custom mellotron project that deserves checking out if you dig that kind of thing.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

VL-Tone (yeaaaaah!!) and weird bike parts. This thread is the best.

I would bring up Biopace but you can still get fabulously expensive Rotor Q Rings that are effectively using the same idea, so I suppose it's not necessarily obsolete or failed.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jan 7, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like how it states that it causes an increased dopey feeling, because it acknowledges that everybody feels dopey all the time.

Also not coming from a place where hay is grown I have no idea what musty hay smells like, so I guess I'm hosed in case of a phosgene gas attack.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

The Rio Karma was incredible and a thing of beauty. I wish it were still around.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

It was OK until you got tired of the 10 songs you were carrying. It shipped with parallel port adapter to load up music and transferring 32mb took so drat long that I never rotated anything on.

Maybe you could buy a USB1 adapter, but that new little connector was never going to catch on.

Sure you're not thinking of something else? The Karma was 20gb with USB 2.0

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

WebDog posted:

That phone really sucked. Even for 2003. It was cool for the spring loaded answer function, but beyond that it was lacking the ability to send text messages or bluetooth so no one really brought it. It cost $500.

Does the SIEKO Final Fantasy Watch count?

There were two announced with the film.

This one got released - and I think other similar styles can be brought today.

This one is vapor-wear as they never released it.

I unironically lusted for both of these things so very much... Ten years ago

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Quote =/ edit

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Pneub posted:

I just read the whole description on the website and I still have no loving idea what it's supposed to be. Is it some kind of wireless volume knob?

I would use the poo poo out of this for DAW control.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

leidend posted:

Fuel efficiency was not good. I'd agree with the stereo though, I was pumping that 90s rap all day every day

I was still driving that Spirit when I met my wife in 2003 and she probably wouldn't be my wife if it was that colour.

Although I did manage to total it on this bridge on our second date and she stuck with me so maybe

You totaled your car on the span of Lions Gate? Not in the causeway? Ouch.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

EatMySpork posted:

Speaking of Walkmans, I just found one of these in a old box not to long ago.

I used to have exactly this. It was the greatest thing. I was born in 88 so I grew up mostly in the age of CDs, but I used to play some of my parents' tapes on it. I made a couple of incredibly horrible recordings to these kinds of tapes once. I wish I still had one, it would be a neat little lo-fi box.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Geoj posted:

Later when I had my first full time job out of highschool I bought a Creative Nomad 3:

20 GB platter drive and featuring a 1394 connection for fast data transfer, this released about a year before USB 2.0 was available. Fortunately my soundcard - an original SB Audigy - had a 1394 controller built in, otherwise I would have been stuck with USB 1.1 speeds or have to buy a separate controller card. This thing was a tank, and actually still works aside from the headphone jack being worn out.

I had this too and it was AMAZING for its day.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Base Emitter posted:

Ah, the quest for the less-terrible MP3 player.

I've posted it here before and I'll post it again: Rio Karma.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

I figure this thread is the best place to brag about this, but I FINALLY scored a Laserdisc player last night! Goodwill had one in. Best thing about it is it has s-video and optical audio out. This is going to be awesome on the projector / home theater. They had a ton of LDs too, I snagged Jurrasic Park, a few godawfully cheesy looking 80s movies I'd never heard of, and some other stuff.

I cannot wait to watch my copy of Spaceballs: The Laserdisc on it.

Also trying to track down the Star Wars "definitive" edition Laserdiscs but holy bajesus those aren't cheap!

I've always held the belief that the pre-90s-theater-rerelease VHS were "definitive." I've still got mine and hang on to a VHS machine pretty much exclusively for that reason.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Dogan posted:

I just noticed in my B&H catalog today: The Kensington EXPERT MOUSE is still being produced

Experts only

Yessssss. The greatest. If you're set up to do Pro Tools with anything else, forget it. The new Blade ones aren't quite the same.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 23:08 on May 8, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

I got through the Babel fish. I think I missed something when you plug in the tea machine and become a whale.

Speaking of obsolete technologies (that aren't text games) I used to call Infocom's 1-900 number for hints. Eventually I learned my lesson and purchased the hint book with the game (via mail order). Boy, waiting 3 to 6 weeks for my new game was awesome!

Oh man. I used to call the Nintendo Power Help Line for that kind of thing.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

God dammit, I know people using Vista whose desktops look this bad (minus Bonzi Buddy of course.)

Like... no concept of "folders" ever entered into their head and they'll click anything the computer tells them to click.

This is the pinnacle of horror.

Also:

I bet in five years when this thread is called "post your favourite obsolete and failed technology 2: Ouya Appreciation Station" the Ribbon will be in the OP.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 13:56 on May 31, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

NOT TO DIVULGE THE NAME:

Studer, doyyy

That's like saying "not to divulge the name of a famous carmaker founded by Henry F. in America"

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Jun 1, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I remember having to watch some ancient sex ed video on a 16mm projector in middle school. And I'm not even that old, this was like in the early 00s.

I just imagine that every single one of these has Troy McClure in it.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

My girlfriend's dad had Judge Dredd on Laserdisc... Somehow, it is THE most appropriate movie for that format.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

My gym has these, where you can steer and shift and such.

Unfortunately the controls are absolute poo poo, steering is nothing like a real bike, the gearing is all funky, there's not much correlation between going up a slope and pedaling getting harder... Nobody uses them, and for good reason.

Far more economical, effective, fun, and operating under the assumption that people who want to train on a bike, you know, own a bike:

The Sufferfest.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Oh, and something I just remembered - the IT guy in the library at my high school told us that changing the screensaver was "illegal". Not that I bought it then, but I guess I figured that it was some default Microsoft screensaver and we had to keep that set because of some licensing deal or something. In reality, it was probably a last ditch effort to get us to stop loving with the computers.

Oh god. I remember when Windows still told users that programs had performed "illegal operations." Little kid me freaked out the first time he saw that.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

There's a handful in the original Dead Space. Pretty awesome.

I remember you could do something to give yourself more Stasis... What else?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I have an obsolete and failed technology to post that I'm very happy to obtain! Dual TG 27 four track tape recorder from 1968. It doesn't work, but I can fix it, and it was only $25 with a reel of tape. I'm going to track/print so much stuff on this old bastard.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Dogan posted:

I just threw away a box of these

50 seconds?

So it's a Vine on a disk. Wow.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

WebDog posted:

It's meant for stills capture of video which,as noted by the wiki, is incredibly useful for stills capture for TV broadcasts, medical and research.

Simply "taking a screenshot" back in the 90's on early analogue/digital editing systems was pretty tricky. I'm sure there might have been a function built into the Paintbox systems that were in use, but in general you would have a light-box with a video camera pointed straight down, and then place the photo on it and hit record.

Or, if you wanted to get fancy, it was possible to actually print-screen via a little photo printer that would spit out the video output in three passes of R,G,B. One color would print, then the photo sucked back in for the next.

Then we discovered it was possible to hook up After Effects into the Paintbox's renderdisk via a capture card and send through stills that way. I wasn't expecting a system a decade old to be able to do a round-trip.

Forget that stuff, imaging in the 90s was all about this thing:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't a lot of synthesizers and music equipment only export to floppies still?

Huge, incredibly expensive SSL recording consoles still use a floppy-based memory system for the computer and automation programming. Not the ones that are produced these days, mind you... But any of the famous G and E series and the like have them.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Nov 27, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

I don't think SSL even makes huge consoles anymore. I think they stopped at the J series. Not that anyone can blame them.

I'm pretty sure you could, in theory, order a Duality with big fat (48 and up) channels even today. Though I don't know who would, unless they were absolutely Scrooge McDuck wealthy. I guess the AWS is more of their focus now... And that's about as far from a floppy based computer controller as you can get!

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Nov 27, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

PhotoKirk posted:

Holy.

poo poo.

I thought it was bad dealing with the folks who wanted Fuji Velveeta film (Velvia) for their Minolta Malox (Maxxum) cameras.

Velveeta has that creamy soft saturation though!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

The_Franz posted:

Speaking of pay-per-minute calls, those 1-900 numbers were everywhere in the 80s and 90s. The industry was basically completely unregulated and holy gently caress were those things a scam. The industry basically preyed on children, but it was OK because they always warned you to get your parents' permission first.

Nobody actually did this because the answer would have always been 'NO!'

$1.49 for the first minute, 99 for each additional minute and the average call lasted 4 minutes. To listen to Hulk Hogan say... something. I wonder how many kids ended up grounded for a year after calling that number every day for a month and their parents got a $130+ phone bill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk2CKwJ3hGo

Just sit on the line and you can get Corey Haim's and Corey Feldman's personal number, which was probably another 1-900 number where you could leave them a message that they would never hear.

The ones where you just listened to a celebrity message weren't even the weirdest ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUcznJNZc0o

$2 for the first minute and $1 for each additional minute to have an answering machine insult you. That commercial is concentrated 90s though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-akWAWOp2Y

What makes America cry? Probably seeing their phone bill after calling this $2 a minute number.

They died off rapidly as the world moved into the 21st century due to the fact that cell phones never supported 1-900 calling and network operators just stopped supporting them because of the massive amount of scams out there. AT&T halted 1-900 service in 2002 and Verizon finally cut off billing for them on their terrestrial networks a couple of years ago. I can't even imagine that any were (are?) actually still in service outside of maybe some weird psychic hotlines that catered to Luddites.

I was just watching Punch-Drunk Love yesterday and the whole idea of the three-buck-a-minute sex line or whatever made me cringe.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Jehde posted:

I was lame enough to read these every night as a kid:

Control diagrams for joysticks for a first person shooter.

Jedi Knight series rules, this rules. But whyyyy were you using a joystick?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

mints posted:

Wasn't there a decent home conversion and a dual stick controller on the Dreamcast?

There's also VOOT on Xbox Live.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

Oh they are just glorified Starbucks at this point here too but still important community hubs. e.g. this is the main branch near me

I used to do security there. Nothing but kicking out masturbators on the computers.

God dammit I go to this library all the time. Now I'm never going to shake the image of people possibly jerkin' it.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Humphreys posted:

I'll try to stop it seeing I played a part in it.

Have a glorious teardown of a 'vintage' mobile phone (I refuse to call them cellphones as those were a different type of wireless telephony completely).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L3L2J-IjfA

Christ I love EEVBlog.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Vacuum chat:

my grandmother had a vacuum that was a metal water basin, vaguely UFO shaped, on a wheeled base. Very, very obsolete technology. I think my dad may have kept it, I'll see if I can get a photo because I have no idea what to GIS to find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

taiyoko posted:

Are you thinking of the Rainbow vacuums?

Basically the water is used in place of a vacuum bag or bagless's canister, they actually still make modern ones.

This is really close to it, yeah. Now I really need to ask my dad if he kept it.

Now that you all mention it, they are basically bongs for dust.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Mar 14, 2015