Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Hit up a thrift store today to add to my typewriter collection, picked up an Adler Satellite for $7. It so happens that my dad actually wrote his PhD dissertation on one of these (with a Russian keyboard)! (Photos aren't mine)

Made in West Germany :ussr:

Others:

Royal Sabre, 1970s. Surprisingly light, I actually use this one the most, and since it looks the least-delicate, people love typing silly things on it when they see it. I keep a sheet of paper loaded into it so guests can play with it, and took off the ribbon cover on mine.

Remington Rand No. 17, 1943. My fat, 60+ lb baby.

They all still work and are great for hipster poo poo like art projects. They make your fingers freaky-strong too. I love the way these smell; wet ink, cigarettes and oil. You can practically see the sharply-dressed, cognac-sipping secretary tapping away!

I've had a thing for mechanical typewriters ever since I found my grandmother's old one from the Soviet days when I was a kid. Something about all of those springs, levers, and just the whole mechanism gliding up and tapping the paper is really elegant to me. Also, all of the ones I own I got for less than $10, so it's a cheap hobby for a college kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

That reminds me of how everyone in Russia apparently knows the NES and all its games under the name of a famiclone called Dendy

OH MY GOD I thought I was making the Dendy up. Everyone I tell about it just sort of raises an eyebrow but we were fully playing Super Mario Bros and some kind of soccer game on one of those. Hell yeah.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Vavrek posted:

Obsolete tech: A CapsLock key? I'm not sure what I would use it for.

YouTube comments

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Snackula posted:

There's one near me where you can look into the projection booth from the lobby but I can't spot the Palm from pictures online. It's a gigantic wraparound dome screen that mostly shows nature documentaries and concert films though so they're maybe not super in line with more conventional Imax cinema setups (and/or they're so outdated they just predate the Palm entirely, last overhaul I heard about was in 1999).

They do a thing pre-show where they jack up the lights behind the screen so you can see through it to all the speakers and it's a great way to check whether you have just a touch of megalophobia.

OmniMax!