Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Pilsner posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, I just see cracked smartphones way more often than I remember seeing cracked regular old phones. I'd be terrified if I dropped my iPhone on asphalt - has anyone tried?

Might be that you don't bother maintaining a mental catalogue for the condition phone screens you saw 10 years ago?

I drop my hand me down, years old iPhone onto concrete at least once a month, and onto carpet/tiles/wood/etc. at least once a week (I'm clumsy, so what) and it's still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Plotterboy posted:

You're projecting. Just because you feel that's correct doesn't mean that what you do works for everyone else. This is the exact same reason why tech journalists decide the desktop is obsolete every year.

Also a laptop with docking station has a much more awkward desk footprint than a tower and a laptop is much less customisable.

When I got my first job out of high school as a salesman at a computing store (about 12 years ago), as a generalisation, we had a range of 2 or 3 desktop PCs for every laptop, and (generally again) we'd probably sell at least 4 desktops for every laptop. Both were displayed equally prominently.

By the time I left 2 years later, it was down to an even 50:50 split.

Nowadays, if I walk into the same computer store, there's a range of between 15-20 laptops and maybe 3 or 4 full desktops squirreled away in a corner.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

For those who don't have the time to work through that list of top 100 albums of the 80s, save yourself 5 minutes in the knowledge that apparantely every single Cure album released in the 80s falls somewhere in the top 20 or 30 (evidently there were quite a few). Intertwined with every Depeche Mode album released in the 80s.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

OttoVonBismarck posted:

Wow, I've spent the last few... *snip*

Thanks for that post, very enjoyable :)

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Arrath posted:

No loving way. :psyduck:

Yep, same issue existed with the classic Nokia 3650, as I discovered...

Fantastic phone until then, though. Served my clumsy nature very well after at least a dozen drops onto concrete. Well worth the near $800 bucks I laid out for it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That phone looks like the least ergonomic keypad I've ever seen. Was it comfortable to use?

Yeah, you'd think it would be, and it certainly got plenty of sideways glances. But, it was surprisingly pleasant to use, definitely the best phone to txt message from I'd used (by a long stretch) until hard and soft keyboards with auto correct became widespread.

You'd generally hold the phone in two hands and use both thumbs to txt with, because all the buttons were nice and close together, but not so close you'd smudge them with your sausage fingers, it was pretty stress and strain free.