Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All three of those noises I've heard in so many other toys. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DNova posted:

I don't know who Manuel is but stick shift is still a beloved feature by many people.

They're not my windows. :colbert:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorWhat posted:

why would anyone willingly use up a data plan rather than storing their music locally? Music doesn't take up much space on a modern 32 or 64gb ipod/iphone/android device.

Or 160GB if you still have a working ipod Classic like I've got. Hopefully it doesn't die anytime soon. I don't even have it full and I'm somewhere around 16k songs currently.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mine's actually still the Mother 3 thing :v:

It's a good ringtone. That or I Will Give You My All

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KozmoNaut posted:

I ended up with a blatant (and less expensive) clone of the iPod Hifi. $10 in mint condition (or as mint condition as a cheapish Chinese knockoff ever was). It's got an aux input, so the only truly obsolete thing is the 30-pin dock connector. The sound is surprisingly decent too, probably because it's actually a properly-sized cabinet, as opposed to most other docks.

Got a link or anything? I'll be sad when my iPod classic eventually dies, because I like the capacity. 160gb, 17k songs on there and I still have 35.6gb free.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Strengthens the possibility for:" Seems weasely enough.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gogol Bordello & Primus both do great live shows, as does Les Claypool's side act, Duo De Twang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXhYx6KCthQ
I got to see this show live, and it got me into Gogol. One of the best opening acts I've seen yet. And Eugene (the lead singer for GB) has seemingly boundless energy.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So since no one's actually posted how they work, just speculation. Here is a look inside one. I never quite figured out if the modifiers are powder or liquid, but I'd assume liquid.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Trillian master race.

Pidgin Uber Alles.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When'd it go to poo poo? I just looked at them the other day, after not checking the site for...years? And so many things on my wishlist are gone. Such is life.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kenny powerzzz posted:

I work in Ohio where fairs are regulated, licensed and inspected multiple times a week so there is very little funny business.

That would explain why our fairs are good. Do you do the State Fair, out of curiosity? Or any of the other ones around central OH (Franklin, Fairfield, etc.)

Also this might explain why the Atlanta State Fair is so awful and tiny. Assuming it's an unregulated state. It's the first time I've ever seen those old stereotypes of fairs, "World's Smallest Horse" and the like for $.50. It was sad, even compared to small fairs around the area, like the Millersport Sweet Corn Festival.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Neat. The Pumpkin Fest is a good fair. Do you have more info about all the licenses and such for Ohio fairs? Sounds like it could be a good read.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Explosionface posted:

For me, having my music on an iPod plugged into my car for highway travel is the only reliable way to get music I want on the go. Long stretches of rural highways in the Midwest aren't nice to internet connections. But that does sound pretty great overall.

This is excellent, yes. Especially a retrofitted classic, with an SSD and a new bigger battery. I've got almost 20k songs, 180gb drive, with 52gb free still. That's almost my entire collection of music.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had this iPod:

Otherwise known as the fatty iPod.

3rd gen Nano? 8gig? Geez, so tiny. And that's almost 10 years old now.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Old folk who don't have smart phones, probably. My mom has an iphone now, but my parents still tend to print off mapquest (:magical:) directions.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOumQgyv7ng&hd=1

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krispy Wafer posted:

Microcenter is about the only decent PC shop left.

Can confirm and agreed. I built my current and last PC with what they have. It's a great store. And they price match amazon, newegg, etc.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Obsolete technology. Buying ringtones.

Obligatory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv1MnodHUhg

This used to be my ringtone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMyZcnCWRlU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jedit posted:

Looms make prophecies about who needs killing.

And swans.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Exit Strategy posted:

I thought that was pigeons that told Manny to kill.

No, Hector wanted me to get their eggs to use for carrying messages to the LSA. So he could raise them to be carrier pigeons.

Armacham posted:

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!

This doesn’t look anything like Robert Frost.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, my younger self. I like to keep him next to where my heart used to be. Beware younger Manny, don't trust Domino. But then again you knew that.

E - for actual thread content. Point & click adventure games. I haven't heard of many recently. Aside from, what. The Homestuck one, Dropsy the Clown, and Thimbleweed Park. Dead genre?

Mercedes Colomar has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Mar 2, 2018

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lizard Combatant posted:

Aren't the Telltale Walking Dead games essentially point and click? They're pretty successful too.

Oh right, I forgot Telltale is still making them. In part because Season 2 of The Walking Dead adventure was kinda. Ehh. At least Kenny came back.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Aztec posted:

What was it, an unpatched XP system is compromised in, literally,seconds?

Sounds about right. No this isn't just an excuse to post a Vinesauce Joel video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9DST-6jIBU&hd=1

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Exit Strategy posted:

The moment I saw Lose/Lose, I knew this trip was worth it.

The long version is great too. This is just the supercut version. It cuts out at least an hour of content, some downtime, etc.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Aztec posted:

No one ever thinks to prepare Protection from Sonic.

Sonic damage is especially effective on trees.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarthBlingBling posted:

Close, it's a demon

That door is unlocked. It seems, less than compelling. There's symbolism there.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr.Radar posted:

You never see them because they suck rear end and are more expensive than cheap SSDs that suck much less rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3frnBoqqI_Q

That's a shame, it's cool as gently caress in a ridiculous over the top way.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabbitWizard posted:

Remember the timed puzzle with the forklift in the elevator in Grim Fandango? It was bugged in the CD-Version if you had a processor that was too fast or had a new feature or something.
The elevator was moving faster so you missed the middle floor veeeery slightly every time.

Extremely well, I am quite familiar for reasons that should be obvious. But was unaware of this. Did the Remaster fix it?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Not a fun thing to wake up to, even less fun to have slip into your dream and turn it into a horror movie shortly before you wake up.

At first I was going to ask "what's wrong with this?" Then it changed over, and yeah. God Bucket is good, but so loving prolific and weird. I really should have gone to see him live when he was in town.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Also after posting that cool video I should point out that's the second time Buckethead has accidentally infiltrated my nightmares. The other track was this:

God I wish I could remember my dreams, like. I never do. It sucks. I've had Aphex Twin playing as background music for sleeping, so I know how weird can go. But I don't have it up loud enough to really hear most of the music while I'm sleeping. So, who knows.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nocheez posted:

Nah, just watch this guy's videos instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNN8w2XlwY

Going to repeat for a new page that this is absolutely a pro click.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nocheez posted:

I'm overjoyed that you guys are loving it! Me wife even watches them with me, the host is a natural.

Are the others just as good? Does he still do these videos? Because if so then a sub is in order because god drat was that quality. Rip Bitchass J-3 Cub.

e - also hail gay Satan, Seitan, both of whomst have said trans rights.

Mercedes Colomar has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Feb 11, 2020

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shut up Meg posted:

(5:30 for the image)

For the curious (assuming it's not mentioned in the article.) The face belongs to one Mr. Richard D. James, better known as Aphex Twin.

Also one of the first hidden tracks I can remember is Jack Off Jill's cover of The Cure hit, "Lovesong." It's track 66 on their album Clear Hearts, Grey Flowers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxsWBqXBR_0&hd=1

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it obsolete to build a new computer and leave one panel off with a spare SATA/PSU cable hanging out of it so I can transfer old files to the new HDD? I've got one to go of the three I had.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well since I got us on this topic. I have a related question.
If I'm taking these HDDs to recycle, should I get them wiped entirely? There's nothing iffy save for my massive :files: collection of music. I'm probably gonna just donate the whole computer or recycle it, since the parts are a decade old.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has DankPods come up here yet? Because if not, yall are in for a treat. He's just so, so fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NykWxk2UgAA
(older video so you just get the start of it.)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's just exceedingly Australian.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pretty good posted:

Asked for a 10GB third gen ipod for my birthday in 2003, received this

It was... okay? I got a hand me down discman for a birthday in 2000 and this thing was technically a step up from that in that it supported mp3 CDs, but around the same time my home life fell apart and the family computer with the CD burner + my mp3 collection got sold off so by the time I finally got to gently caress around with burned discs a year and a half later it was embarrassingly obsolete.

At least it had good skip protection so I could walk around town clutching it in one hand listening to Dream Theater without it cutting out every ten seconds, unlike the piece of poo poo it replaced.

Is the little scrollwheel at the front an AM/FM tuner? I think I had that thing. I remember the red and the ATRAC3PLUS on the top. Didn't mean a dang thing of course.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pretty good posted:

I don't remember it having a radio, pretty sure it was a jog wheel for navigating directories/scrolling through lists of tracks/etc

I couldn't remember either haha, it just looked like a radio tuner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh my lord I was unaware of this thread and I thank you now. But I need an abridged overview before I dive in to the madness.

I have 400 stickers on the way for decorating my coffee table and PC stand table.