Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I still have an old 21 inch CRT monitor kicking around. I call it the Desk-Buster because it is literally too heavy to sit on most newer computer desks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Landerig posted:

Ah I think I know why that monitor is so heavy. Does it have one or two faint black horizontal lines in the picture, and if you were to smack the side of it, would the colors go funny for a second or so? If yes then you have a Trinitron monitor.

Yes, it is indeed a Trinitron. Plugged my laptop into and it still works perfectly.

I also have an ancient Datas brand monochrome monitor, but I have no way of testing if that thing works anymore.

crumpuppet posted:

I still used a monitor exactly like this at work up until about a year ago. Degaussing it made a very loud sound, and the degaussing jolt could be felt through the desk surface. This scared the poo poo out of me the first time I pressed the button.
I used to degauss it just to freak out our cat.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

lazer_chicken posted:

I love that genesis tower pic. The sad thing is it's not far off from being functional. I think all you'd need to do is take out the cleaning adapter and whatever that thing is on top of the 32x and it would work.

That 'thing' is the Power Base Converter. You'd never guess from the name, but it lets you play Master System games on the Genesis. The thing is so big because it actually is a Master System that interfaces with the Genesis' controller ports and video-out.

It was actually designed for a Model 1 Genesis not the Model 2 in that pic, which is why it looks so out of place. I'm surprised the system cleaner even fits in the slot.

Edit: The only way that tower could be improved is if they stacked a model 2 Genesis on a Model 1 CD:

Squatch Ambassador has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Jul 14, 2012

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Cage posted:

:lol:

If its a sony trinitron, it weighs exactly 325 pounds.

Off topic a bit I guess but:
I still have the remote from my old Sony Trinitron tv for some reason. Oddly enough it works perfectly fine for my Bravia HDTV and my Sony 3D Display (that I use as a pc monitor), without having to program the remote or anything.

I'm not a sony fanboy I swear. They just always seem to be on sale when I'm shopping for a new tv/display.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

buttopticor posted:

Speaking of videogame technology, Expansion Module #1 for the Colecovision.

It was essentially an Atari 2600 without controllers that connected to your Colecovision. They quickly stopped selling them for legal reasons, but if you were lucky enough to get one before that (we were), then it was great. It's something that'd be completely unheard of today; imagine something you connect to your Xbox to play PS2 games or something.
Wasn't this possible because the 2600 didn't have any proprietary hardware components or something? I seem to remember seeing a few off-brand 2600's.
I still have one, it still works too. Unfortunately its all my Coleco is good for now, since the chip for controller input on the ColecoVision is unshielded and mine has succumbed to static :(.

Speaking of ColecoVision and controllers let me inroduce you to the best game controller ever made:
The Super Action Controller

It was designed for use with sports games, but really it's the only way to play coleco games. And since it used a generic 9-pin connector it is also the only way to play atari, MasterSystem and Genesis/Megadrive games. Well only one of the trigger buttons maps to A on the Genesis, and the spin wheel alternates between start and B so you can play Sonic at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

minato posted:

Are each of the buttons tilt switches or something? Because I don't get why they just didn't label them 1-5.

As other people have already said they aren't tilt switches. But it reminds me of this:

Sony Ericsson P1

I had one of these for a while, it was the first smartphone I owned. Like all the Ericssons it had a really nice camera for a phone, but the main reason I bought it was for the tilt keys. For some reason I preferred it to the blackberry's qwerty keyboards. Looking back I have absolutely no idea why.