Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sure it varies by year/quarter but I recently read an article about how the majority of Sony's consumer business has been operating at a huge loss for years, and the operational side (i.e. not including insurance/finance/real estate) is basically kept kind-of afloat entirely by Playstation game royalties. So I hope that makes you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Johnny Aztec posted:

well, I meant as far as warranties go, but yes, can you imagine picking up a used one of those 10 years down the line and trying to replace/fix some dash part?

Why wouldn't you? I'm sure you can still buy a new factory screen or stereo or whatever.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
These days I find that I only really listen to the radio in the car, because I never listen to the radio anywhere else so it's kind of a novelty for me, and also I have so many other opportunities to listen to podcasts/music/whatever outside of the car that I have little desire to do so in the car when I'm driving. I mean the radio is mostly boring poo poo but on the other hand it won't distract me.

I guess I just don't drive as much as most people.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ron Jeremy posted:

I guess not technically obsolete, this is one of the first projects I worked on our of college:

BMW iDrive. We did the hardware, Alps and BMW did the software interface. Force feedback knobs with effects. The idea was that you could use a single knobs to control everything and the force feedback would provide you with enough information to do it without taking your eyes off the road. Our prototype rocked, their implementation sucked, the press hated it.

On the plus side, I did get to drive one of the first 7 series with it installed for a little while.

We also made a similar rotary force feedback implementation on the first Gen ipod:

Which I thought totally rocked, but apple turned us down on the basis of power consumption.

I feel compelled to add here that the rotary knob interface is a perfectly reasonable idea and that more and more car makers are actually implementing it, Mazda being the most recent. When it first debuted in the BMW 7 series from about 15 years ago, the problem was that:

1) The BMW 7 series was just a horrible, unreliable, shoddily built car. Everything mechanical could barely hold together for the length of the warranty period before falling apart, the actual software that the rotary knob was supposed to control froze all the time (again, the knob was never the problem), and the electrical system was both badily built and also extremely sensitive to being jump started - the battery was some special BMW proprietary thing that only the dealer could do anything with so you just can't jump it,often some minor electrical fault would drain the battery, and then the owner would try to boost it with another car, which broke the car completely.

2) Car reviews and magazines panned it because it had a fairly steep learning curve and was not intuitive to someone who was not use to it. This is unfair, since they are not selling the car to car reviewers who drive a different car each week. Once the operator got use to the system, which of course any owner would after some time, it worked well and was superior to other interfaces because you could operate it completely by feel without taking your eyes off the road.

EDIT: Gentleman function.

This allows the driver to control the passenger seat controls, so you could recline the passenger seatback for some surprise sexytime, or more mundanely move the passenger seat forward to give the rear seat passengers more legroom.

Throatwarbler has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Mar 2, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phanatic posted:

As a frequent business traveler and car renter, I loving hate iDrive. Even the newer implementations of it. When you're driving a car that's not your own in an unfamiliar area in a country that drives on the wrong side fo the road, the absolute last thing I want to gently caress with is a user interface that requires me to look at an LCD screen in order to accomplish anything with it.

And the only way inputting addresses into the navigation system could be more annoying is if it beeped at you, like vi does.

See? Look at that mess. Navigate through multiple menus to adjust the lumbar support, or just slide my hand down to the side of my seat and push the inflate/deflate buttons like in other cars.

There are manual buttons for regular seat adjustments, the iDrive menu is for lesser used adjustments e.g. "seat heating" is for manually adjusting the heat split between the seat cushion and the seat back.

Protip: Don't buy a used E65/66 7 series.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can't think of anything that comes with hand crank windows in the US at this point. Even the cheapest Versa, which stickers for about $11K, has electric window regulators. I poked around a few other economy cars - same thing. This is because they are cheaper and significantly simplify both the supply chain and the manufacturing process.

At least the SMART and Fiesta have crank windows as standard.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

sweeperbravo posted:

With the centralized vacuums, is there a risk of kids opening and putting valuable stuff into the hose outlets or are they pretty child-proof? I suppose there being a centralized containment means whatever went in there could be retrieved if needed, but not something you'd want to have to do everytime Junior decides daddy's watch should go in the bye-bye wall.

Could just put a grate in the pipe.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
This water vacuum business sounds awesome and I immediately went on Amazon to see how I could get one. The Rainbows all cost $2000 which is pretty steep for a vacuum cleaner. When I get a chance I might try out one of the cheaper varieties.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
People outside the Anglosphere use different services for the most part. Spotify probably isn't the go-to music streaming service in Brazil or Russia, I guarantee that no one in China other than tourists use it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phanatic posted:

A dual-clutch automatic, but not a regular slushbox with a torque converter, even if it has 9 speeds.

DCTs generally also have torque converters these days, Nah I'm thinking of CVTs. and the best traditional automatics (Toyota/Mazda) are better than DCTs in pretty much every way. DCTs have a few minor advantages over traditional autos but outside of track oriented performance vehicles they are worse in most other respects. At this point in regular cars a DCT is almost always used because of cost savings vs a traditional auto, and no other reason.

Throatwarbler has a new favorite as of 16:42 on May 1, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powerlurker posted:

Case in point: Taylor Swift attempting to sing a duet with Stevie Nicks at the Grammys and being absolutely unable to stay in tune.

I don't know anything about this other than being a big Taylor Swift fan but isn't she really famous for having very god live concerts? Is that really all lip syncing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Collateral Damage posted:

You know any restaurant running a system like this will have like two people tending a hundred tables, because the entire point of automatic poo poo is so you can get away with less staff.

e: Also in the video each plate is compartmentalised like a cafeteria slop tray. Really gives you that high class dining feel. :thumbsup:

I went to this thing

https://www.zomato.com/abudhabi/rogos-roller-coaster-restaurant-yas-island

It was kind of neat I guess, except the food really wasn't very good. Also pointless since it didn't appear to save much in terms of labour, maybe it would if the whole place was jam packed but it wasn't, and this is the UAE where you hire Bangladeshi workers for like $150/month so.