Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Manuel Calavera posted:

Gogol Bordello & Primus both do great live shows, as does Les Claypool's side act, Duo De Twang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXhYx6KCthQ
I got to see this show live, and it got me into Gogol. One of the best opening acts I've seen yet. And Eugene (the lead singer for GB) has seemingly boundless energy.

Gogol Bordello played a really small show in Blacksburg in 2007 and GB stuck around to party with some VT radio station people. I now know where his energy comes from :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
The Panera in my town recently installed touch kiosks. Twice now their system "lost" my order. I don't go there anymore.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Extra curricular poo poo also sucks if you have like say, a single parent who works all the time and you don't live near the school so you absolutely have to take the bus or you are hosed for getting home. Plus it costs more money and stuff. Basically it sucks being poor in America, shocking news.

The 7pm activity bus was awful bull poo poo and was my #1 motivation for getting my license on time. That and girls.

I'd also like to echo frustration with the lack of critical thinking being taught in red states. I just finished teaching a Stats 101 class to a group of college freshmen and advanced high school seniors. Only 3 of my students could reliably plug numbers into a formula. God help them if they had to explain the reasoning behind probability calculations.

Obsolete tech: calculators that aren't graphing. Every single one of my students used their phone or a TI-83. The college had a rule that only standalone calculators could be used, but gently caress that. I'm not making 20+ students in a community college waste money a four function calculator. I'll just monitor the room like a creep to prevent the more obvious cheating.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Riiiiight, only in the "red states"

Fair enough. But I've definitely had a shittier experience teaching Middle "Muslim foot washing stations" Tennessee than rural Virginia.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's not just archivists who are worried about this. It's a pain in the rear end for historians too. I was trying to do some research at a museum archive and one of the collections was microfilm only. One of the reels was missing the beginning and then it got jammed onto the spindle so they had to call the maintenance company to unfuck the thing which apparently took a couple weeks.

Just today I met with a historical society whose entire internal collection was microfilmed five years ago, then their reader promptly broke. There isn't anyone in the region who can fix it. I'm probably going to just convince them to let me do it for free (or a case of beer).

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

spog posted:

Why would you use microfilm in 2011?

That's taking the 'historical' part a bit too seriously

They had paper records going back over a century and just got a preservation grant. It was easier for them to just have it all microfilmed.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Also the general rule is that microfilm survives for about 500 years. That's a slight bit longer than a hard drive or an HDD at this point.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I went to a museum where they had a ton of these mechanical calculators and it kinda highlighted (highlit?) a problem I have with tech museums in general: I can only look at so many exhibits before I want to see them in action. I realize if you let people play with them freely, someone would break it, but the way it is now, I can go to the museum and get kinda bored or I can watch someone explain the thing in-depth for half an hour on youtube.

They also had a ton of old synths and again all I wanted to to was hook those fuckers up to an amp and drive the other visitors away with robot farts. All they had to play around with was a really quiet theremin. Whoop-dee-doo.

Good museums do this either by amassing tons of originals or creating replicas. Like the National Video Game Museum. The Center for Popular Music will record drat near anyone playing music on an original wax cylinder machine if they ask nicely.

Here's a crappy video, lots more on the CPM Facebook: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCTVsTlygeQ

joshtothemaxx has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Sep 8, 2016

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I work in academia. As long as I show up to teach classes nobody gives a poo poo what I do. And for some dumbfuck reason I'm probably going to quit for a 9-5 20-hour shift job soon.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Not exactly on topic, but does anyone else watch Halt and Catch Fire? It's a fantastic show in its own right and gives me serious nostalgia about playing with early computers in my youth.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Humphreys posted:

I remember nightclubbing and exchanging MSN/ICQ deets was a normal thing as mobile phones were a luxury. I had a mobile phone and whatever year it was maybe 03 or 04, our national provider had unlimited MMS messages on New Years Eve...like gently caress if any of my friends had a phone that could receive them!

When I started college in 2002 it was all about exchanging AIM screen names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Old folk who don't have smart phones, probably. My mom has an iphone now, but my parents still tend to print off mapquest (:magical:) directions.

I get travel reimbursements as part of my job. Last week's request was initially denied because I supplied a google maps print out as proof of route distance... they ONLY accept mapquest. I was flabbergasted.