Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Slanderer posted:

... I'm worried that it would burn out my eyes with its glory.

Don't worry, the 90s has you covered.

We had one of those on a CRT monitor in the mid 90s.
I'm still not sure why, other than being safe from HARMFUL COMPUTER MONITOR RADIATION.

Everything looked dark and lovely with it on. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

I think it's supposed to reduce viewing angles for privacy.

http://www.nhsmedia.com/3Mcomputerfilters.htm

3M apparently produced screens/filters/overlays with 'Anti-Radiation' properties, so I guess they were supposed to do a lot of things.

The anti-glare and the like I get, though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's as pienipple guessed: A combined water heater / showerhead.

You can buy them from amazon apparently.
Still baffling, why not just have a safer unit connected down the line, instead of the showerhead itself? :psyduck:
You could even have one for the entire bathroom, like the gas-powered water heaters they have some places in Europe.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

Cisco got a LOT of well deserved flack for automatically updating the firmware on several of their Linksys routers to be cloud-based managed devices, and even said that they reserved the right to terminate a router's functionality. After the user backlash, they made it all optional.

Telenor just recently started doing this in Norway too, and it honestly doesn't seem like people care about it. :smith:

Logging onto my parents router last time I was home only gave me a logout button. " Hey if you want to change any of the router's settings, you'll have to log onto our site. "

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

If it's anything like the "Digital Mailbox" Posten Norge has here in Norway, it isn't exactly normal email. It's properly encrypted end-to-end email so that the government and other bodies are comfortable sending things they weren't allowed to send via normal email.

I get my wages, and doctor's results in it. It can also receive receipts from most payment terminals and have them sent straight to your inbox.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

eminkey2003 posted:

Back in the 90s, my cousin had a humongous stereo like these. Does anyone use them anymore? Most people just use their computer.

Aw geez, my parents bought one of these in the late nineties, but not to listen to music. The stereo was bought because it had VIDEO-CD support, and could play all the bootleg movies we bought over in Mongolia.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fooley posted:

I loved the early versions of these, where it was basically a thumb drive that slotted into a power pack. I still have it somewhere, although it stopped working a long time ago.

Yeah, the Creative Muvo was awesome, also my first mp3 player.

It was a surprisingly sensible and good design, the rocker on the side made it really easy to change songs without looking at it,
the screen was alright, and you just pulled it out of it's battery pack and plugged it into an usb slot to transfer stuff to it.
( The battery pack was just a plastic shell with a... AA? AAA? battery inside. )

Only complaint I had about it was that the belt-clipon that came with mine was really bad, and could barely hold the thing.
I'm also pretty sure it didn't need any kind of software or anything to work with it, it just acted like a flash drive.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

I hate how animated GIFs are still a thing people make when browsers have supported real video formats for a while. On my phone I just browse SA with GIFs turned off in the Awful App but even on my desktop with my fast nternet connection they take longer to load and look worse than a proper video.

Yup, I really wish sites would just let you use webm/mp4 files in place of gifs in any case where you could usually use them. Instead of forcing you to handle them as 'proper' videos.
If sites like tumblr and other social media sites let people use video files in place of gifs, anywhere where gifs are usually used, gifs would start dying down pretty drat quickly.

Right now I think it's hanging around a lot because a lot of social media sites have weird artificial restrictions on how to handle video content vs 'images', which itself is pretty obsolete.
They'd save so much bandwidth too, if every 2-5MB reaction gif were a 500kB webm/mp4 instead.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Starting a washer or a fridge that scans your milk? No consumer I have ever talked to wants that poo poo. It's just poo poo that manufacturers push out on the high end model, which competition then apes to seem higher end; so eventually we're in a world of smart trashcans and cloud connected toilet bowls.

To be fair, a smart fridge, with RFID tags on most products would be pretty nice honestly.
Getting a notification about X and Y expiring soon, getting recipe lists based on stuff you have.

The part that's less nice is that it would probably report back all your purchasing, spending, eating, fridge opening habits back to it's manifacturer.
Atleast for the few days it works before it gets turned into a botnet by the lightbulb in the hallway.

But as they are right now they're kind of pointless unless you want an additional screen in the kitchen to show recipes and etc, I guess.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Phanatic posted:

This'd result in you throwing out a lot of perfectly edible food. Expiration dates do not mean that food is fine, fine, fine, and then instantly turns to garbage. The way to decide whether or not you should be throwing it out is not by an encoded date, it's by looking at/smelling/tasting it.

But...you can do this already.

To the first point, there is a pretty big difference between checking something that's just expired, and finding something that's weeks out of date because you completely forgot about it.

But here's the thing, if the fridge keeps track of things, it might deter people just throwing things out.
It keeping track of how long the object has been stored, and at what temps could help inform customers more.

Yeah, that milk expired a few days ago, but it's been kept cool here for the last week, and is likely to be good, so do a taste test.
It would probably help cut down on waste a lot, giving consumers who'd rather just throw out things that are out of date a chance that they'd actually check things out.
It's kind of a natural step before we get more accurate sensors that actually give feedback on that more directly.

(I've seen stuff like thermal tags on meat here in norway, that give you a heads up that hey, this thing is actually going to be good for another 10 days, despite having a best before tomorrow. )
These are very much not an obsolete technology, yet. And probably save quite a few tons of meat a year, already. Smartfridges with RFID could help a lot more.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Back when I lived in Mongolia, my parents bought a stereo system explicitly because it had VideoCD support, which was pretty much the only film format you could get over there in the late 90s.

It was pretty huge in Asia, I always found it kind of strange how europe stuck with VHS until DVD eventually took over.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sweevo posted:

Because VCD looked like dogshit and you had to swap discs in the middle of the film?

The last time I looked at a VCD was probably in 2001-2002, so I have the barest rememberance of how the quality was.
They were fine enough in an age where I put up with anime the size of postage stamps, encoded in RealMedia video. :v:

How well did recorded VHS stack up against it?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe the VCR craze skipped Mongolia and they only jumped in around the time VCD's came out.

Extremely possible, the modern, democratic Mongolia only really emerged at the start of the 90s, so it's not impossible that VHS just never got a foothold there due to economic or communist reasons before that.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Goddamn, how hot did either one of those get?
A normal slide projector usually would have some pretty drat strong bulbs for normal use. I imagine those would have to be scaled up a decent chunk further to illuminate through a screen like that.

(I imagine the answer is that the lights weren't that strong, and that the image sucked and was low contrast and low power. )

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do I have false memories or did some bank cards have a photo of the owner?

e: Eh maybe it was a shop card :shrug:

Here in Norway bankcards have been the primary form of ID for a while now. (Though due to security reasons, and banks not wanting to deal with the hassle, fewer and fewer banks offer it nowadays.)

So I wouldn't be surprised if it's been in use other places.
(Though here it's mostly because there still isn't a national ID card in place, once those are, bankcard IDs essentially become obsolete.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Microsoft used to say that Bluetooth latency was overwhelming and that’s why they had to use a proprietary wireless protocol, but Sony managed to make Bluetooth work well.

As did Nintendo.

I wonder what their excuse is for still using AA batteries, and demanding 20usd(ish?) for a rechargable battery pack, on top of a 50-60usd controller?

The Playstation controllers have been rechargeable by default since 2006.
And the Wii-U controllers and up were also rechargeable.
(Hell, the Wii-U pro controllers had like 80+ hour battery life, and recharged with standard usb mini-b at the time.)

I really hope once XBONE2 comes out, that whatever controller rolls out with it will have an internal battery.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Seriously what the gently caress do you DO with an rss feed?

-questions I've been asking since like 2002

Podcasts generally deliver themselves through an RSS feed, I believe? (At the very least, you can add RSS feeds to some podcasting programs.)
Outside of that you can also use RSS to automate downloading of torrents as they get uploaded, providing the tracker you use supports it.

Outside of that though, I have to admit I've never really used them.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Plinkey posted:

The Oculus Rift came out 8 year ago? christ.

The first, hypershitty, prototype DK1? Yes.
DK2, where they actually implemented external tracking is around 6 years old.
The 'modern, proper' Rift is just a bit over 4.5 years old.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

I have a Vive that's been collecting dust for a year, wish I would have sold it long ago.

You'd probably be able to flip yours at a pretty reasonable price, even now.
There just hasn't happened that much to supplant it, considering that the Vive Pro essentially only targets the 'prosumer and business lite' customer segment pricewise.

Extra so since it's base stations and etc are still compatible with newer hardware, so someone interested in say, the valve index, or the knuckle controllers could be interested in picking up your kit on the cheap to get the base stations and controllers or HMD.
(All the Lighthouse v2 equipment is backwards compatible with the original lighthouses. So your Vive kit is compatible with for example the Valve Index or the Knuckles controller.)

Humphreys posted:

I still have my DK1 and through various life situations never got around to using it properly before it was obsolete (almost immediately). But I do get some fun out of my PSVR occasionally.

The DK1 was obsolete the moment the first unit was assembled, honestly. I'm still surprised it didn't sink Oculus, but I guess at the time they were really just running on hype and mountains of kickstarter money.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Actually, is Norton Antivirus even around anymore?

Norton even has their own Etherium miner, hoping to spin up every pc with Norton 360 to add to a mining pool where they presumably runs off with most of the profits too.

"Norton antivirus adds Ethereum cryptocurrency mining
In a surprise move, one of the world's best-known anti-virus software makers is adding cryptocurrency mining to its products.
Norton 360 customers will have access to an Ethereum mining feature in the "coming weeks", the company said."
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57345632

But yeah, things are a bit more secure, but there's always a way for idiots to circumvent any security measure through sheer stupidity.
Here in Norway we just recently had a bubble of spam-sms-ing because idiots were falling head over heels for those blatantly loving fake sms-es about 'there was a fedex delivery for you! visit notevenvaguelyrelated52345.url and download+run the stuff on it!'
And I just don't understand how people fall for it, but I guess the inconsistencies in the messages weed out anyone even slightly skeptical, and you're left with the idiots who disregard the fact that the url doesn't match the company mentioned, and blaze through.
I guess they downloaded and ran whatever the shady urls told them to, and bam: their phones got used as a botnet to spam out more fake smses as much as possible until the telecoms blocked them.

At first I thought my number had gotten leaked/sold somewhere, considering I got like half a dozen over the course of a week before it died down again.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

barbecue at the folks posted:

I currently have an unsmart TV from 2010 or so so the idea of my television itself pushing ads at me sounds pretty loving dystopian. I really hope that's a case of future obsolete and failed technology.

Android TV will dedicate like the top 1/3rd of the home screen to pushing ads now, unless you use a custom loader/homescreen. A year or so ago the worst it did was come with netflix and etc preinstalled.
It's very much something that's getting way more aggressive as companies realize they can get a bunch of cheap money from going 'hey make a deal with us, we can push your ads to x million devices.'.

The LG tv I use as a monitor also autoinstalls and shows off a bunch of ads for poo poo... if it's connected to the internet. Disabling internet access on it nukes all of that thankfully, and it just has a simple menu for settings + changing input and etc.
But yeah, as Computer viking mentions, you get 1-2 boxes you want to use, then just do everything through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

As a kid I always found it wild that you needed 2 cables for audio, 'but only' 3 for video with component cables. (Yeah, it's just a left/right channel split, but the difference in the amount of video perplexed me a bit.)

I honestly don't miss the SCART vs S-VIDEO vs Component cable days. It's nice that everything is nice and simple and mostly just works with HDMI.
I say, actively ignoring the: 'HDMI-ARC soundbar stopped working because you plugged in a Nintendo switch on a different port', and 'Oh no, device 1 turned on the tv, which turned on device 2, which made the tv switch to device 2, which made device 1 turn off again.' annoyances I have with my current tv.