Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

You're absolutely right, I should have been more broad.

Nice, that's a tiny little chiller. You should see the ones where the compressor motors operate off of 4160V instead of just 480V and require an actual cooling tower to operate. Sort of like that chiller but a whole building instead of a rooftop unit.

Do the much larger data centers have something like this, where they just pump chilled water out to areas that need cooling, and warmed water returns? (I think with a massive, central chiller operation you get higher efficiency, but if you have multiple small units it's easier to manage if just one breaks down.

I also heard that some of the biggest datacenters are built in areas where the facility can be fed from two different electrical grids/providers for ultra-high reliability as far as power goes.

Google bought an old finnish paper mill and turned it into a data center a few years ago. Its cooled by the seawater. http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/hamina/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU