Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know about anywhere else but in the UK even though we're all now officially using the same radiology software and they should eb talking to each other they're not and due to information governance regulation setting up an online share of confidential information is a nightmare. So yeah, it often ends up with a patient carrying a CD-ROM from one hospital to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

stealie72 posted:

How many of us, posting in a thread about obscure technology and actually interested in this stuff, honestly have the ability to do that right now? A cassette deck, blank (or record-over-able) tapes, and the ability to play an mp3 into the recording side of said setup.

Don't know what it's like in the US but speaking as someone in his late twenties in the UK our stereo (and all my friends stereos) have tape decks and have line ins. The tape decks are never used, mind you. We're all using ten year old gear but if it ain't broke...

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

strangemusic posted:

I had this too and it was AMAZING for its day.

I got one and it impressed my family so much that my brother and Dad picked them up too. Still miss it, when the disk died I traded for a first gen iPod mini. Which died a couple of years later and got replaced with another. But they were never the same. The last one is still somewhere in my house, was using it with my car stereo until I wrote it off. I think it's under the stairs, still full of Reel Big Fish.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

I want this very much even though i have a great phone and it's almost certainly dumb and bad

Oh I would love that.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Elliotw2 posted:

I mean, they still basically exist, they're just the super low end of the convertible market. You can get HP's and Acers that are basically netbooks where you can yank the screen off.

Things like the HP Stream 11 are essentially still netbooks without that particular label. Slow processor, small amount of RAM, small amount of onboard storage, cheap as hell. Ticking just about all the netbook boxes to me.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Shut up Meg posted:

I do see a lot of people Facetiming their friends. Not to my taste, but it is pretty common (often at the wheel of a car or on the pavement in front of me when I am in a hurry)

I've had a change in part of my role so I've got done management responsibilities and suddenly I'm having conference calls. Video calls are actually pretty good for this and the software seems to have come along way from Skype and focuses on the speaker so you can tell if they're pissing about on their email.

I did find it really weird when one guy joined from his car. At least I knew he was looking at the road!

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Information Technology at my UK secondary school, I think it was just called 'Computers' at primary school.

Primary school (mid to late 90s) had probably those same Acorns poster above mentioned. We had a lesson every other week in year 5 and 6 in there doing work for another subject, either an edutainment game or typing up a report. Before that it was a BBC Micro in the corner of some of the classrooms that you could play if you were really good, I only remember Granny's Garden.

Secondary school was win 9x PCs on a network. One of the older kids showed us how to install Napster when they was a thing and we all spent a few pleasant lunchtimes setting it up and downloading our favourite songs to play. Over and over because no-one knew where they were saved until the whole network crashed due to lack of drive space and presumably hundreds of viruses. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Dewgy posted:

My grandparents called it the VTR, which I’m assuming wasn’t super common based on this discussion. :v:

VTR is mentioned in The Buggles 'Video Killed The Radio Star' too, I think it's video tape recorder and an older tech. But I may be totally wrong.