Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

About 5-8 years ago there was a minor bump in the US for store-bought HDD DVRs that weren't part of any subscription plan like Tivo or part of your cable/sat. plans.

Several companies made them, then overnight they all seemed to vanish. I think Magnavox was the one lone company that was still producing them for a US market, but not even Wal-mart or Amazon seems to have them now. (They've gone from about $200 new to over $400 USED. New ones on Amazon are listed at over $1000) However, I hear that part of the issue with why these devices stopped being made was because other companies held patents and the growing number of people with DVRs with their cable or satellite just didn't need or want them.

It's sort of funny because when I mention them to people they're really interested in them because they feel it would suit them perfectly.

Even something like the Sandisk V-Mate, which seemed poorly reviewed upon release, has managed to gain a following now and used ones go for about the same price as new when they came out.

edit: Are there even any decent DVD recorders with built-in tuners, anymore?

I still have one of these, worked and worked really well until about spring of last year. Comcast had already forced the tuner boxes on everyone but that was apparently when they decided to shut the regular signal off. Now its completely worthless and they want 7 extra bucks a month for a box that can record a finite amount of things but cant back them up. Lame.

I guess I could still offer to convert peoples home videos to dvd with it if I wanted to get some more value out of it.

Edit: No, basically everything requires you to get a tuning card from your provider. I suppose you may be able to get over the air channels somehow, but that's it.

Ninja Toast! has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Sirius was beating XM but both companies merged because they were both loosing money pretty quickly.

XM had really great channels and Sirius got rid of most them when they took over. The company is run by people who made a career in radio so of course they are applying to same business model which makes it a horrible service.

There are a few really good channels but most are what you'd expect from your local FM. Three songs are played then the DJ talks for 30 - 45 seconds about why you should listen to one of the other channels.

Since services like Pandora and Last.fm are around plus unlimited data plans, it really makes Satellite radio pointless.

Seriously gently caress Sirius. I had an xm that came with my car, and I still have it now that its Sirius because my car has garbage regular radio reception, and the radio channel selection is basically trash in my area, but their channels have gone to hell.

You could listen to XM daily and hear the same song maybe once every week or a so. Sirius plays junk nearly as frequently as standard radio and for some reason feel the need to have dj banter between everything where XM just kept the music coming.

You'd find so much good new music listening to some fairly vaguely titled channels, and now all gone.

My biggest complaint is that they got rid of Fungus (the punk channel) and the closest replacement is Faction, which is talk radio half the time.

Obsolete Technology time!

Cybiko:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybiko

I remember thinking how cool this was when I saw it as a prize on some kids gameshow, and I really wanted one. In retrospect it's basically a text walkie talkie, with a similar range. I'm sure I'd have had no one to use it with, so I'm glad I never asked for one for a gift or something.

Just the idea that it was possible to market a device that would send texts to only people with the exact same not-cheap device within a mile or so range is pretty ridiculous now.

Edit: Oh god, it's a .2 mile range. You can run that far in 2 minutes or less- there's literally no point to this. It would have basically only been useful to chat while in class, and there's no way you'd have been able to get away with that with how huge it is.

Ninja Toast! has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Aug 2, 2012

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
I don't mind him sometimes, I just wish he were on another channel so I could actually listen to music on that channel occasionally when I'm normally driving.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

madeupfred posted:

Those still exist and are very common in toy stores. Here's a list of some that are sold on Amazon.

Holy poo poo golden tee with a spinny ball.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

spog posted:

I've heard a complain from occasional PS3 users that everytime they want to play it game, it takes 20 mins to start, because their system always insists on downloading and installing a non-skippable software update.

So many pages ago, but this is painfully true. Why are their updates so slow?

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
I have an iPhone 4 and a new garmin with traffic, the garmin blows phone GPS out of the water, and the traffic thing is easily the coolest part. Oh, hey, looks like there's an accident 5 minutes up the road, lets swing around this way and save you 10 minutes. Thanks, computer bro! Plus it will actually last a whole trip on battery if you want it to for whatever reason.

Only thing that works better on the phones occasionally is finding addresses in a few awkward rural areas. That depends on what app you're using of course.

I do use the phone one still when on foot and looking for something, but that's mostly because I have it already.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

Standalone scanners are still total nightmares to install. MFPs seem to be able to scan without issue once you install them, but there is no loving end to issues with standalone setups. It's 20-loving-13, there's no excuse for how bad the state of scanners still is.

Mine from a couple years ago is supposed to be able to scan from it's on printer screen to the computer, and even let you choose what program to open it with. That worked for about 2 months. Then it wouldn't even let you scan to a computer from that menu. At least it still works if you open the scanning software on the computer to start it.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Sir, while you have a very interesting gadget history, your pocket tv does not in fact still work. I know this because I have one from around the late 90s-early 2000's (I don't know exactly) that let little me watch tv shows when I should have been sleeping and while it still turns on the digital signal switch made it a device that quickly and efficiently drains 5 AA batteries while displaying static. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Astroman posted:

Yeah, this is true. drat death of analog tv. :bahgawd: Though if I could find an old Nintendo that had a VHF adaptor I could hold the contacts up to the antenna of the tv and play sweet, tiny Nintendo. Or I could use my phone and an emulator. Modern tech just isn't as fun.

I think mine might have some random proprietary input on it you can use, but really that would be ridiculous for any situation I can possibly imagine. Plus I have netflix on my phone so screw it.