Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Only reason blu-ray even did was becuase sony spent literally billions of dollars essentially bribing companies to use blu-ray, and then selling the PS3 at like a 500 dollar loss so that they could ensure everyone who had a PS3 would be buying blu-rays.

Only Sony could be so devious! :argh:

I mean, seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

Back in the early-1990s I used to read a lot of imported British console magazines like Super Play and CVG (I live in Australia) and one thing that really really stuck out for me in the letters sections was that they'd always harp about how you couldn't rent out games in the UK and that it was illegal or forbidden or something. Also Nintendo apparently had something to do with it as well?

Anyone who remembers care to shed some light on this? A quick Google search seems to indicate that renting games in Britain is all kosher now but I'm just curious about the different situation back then, since adolescent me going to the video store and renting out Street Fighter II for the umpteenth time was a pretty regular thing I did back in the day.

I'm probably remembering incorrectly, but I seem to remember that some kind of annual fee was introduced (something like £1,000) for rental stores to rent out video games, which inevitably led to many smaller stores stopping it due to prohibitive costs. The fee was universal, so the size of the business wasn't considered.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

monolithburger posted:

You just know every child that tested that out hit themselves square in the face 9 times out of 10.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that the child has a rope around his neck.