Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
a couple of months ago we upgraded to a breaker box from this

that in turn was an upgrade from a single fuse linked to cloth covered wiring stapled to the framework of the house.

on another note here is something that was more or less forced into obsolescence

yes that is a razor blade sharpener and it works bloody good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I love those old singers if not only for their simplistic and durable construction
but also the neat little contraptions you can attach to them.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

WebDog posted:

In Australia you'd either end up in a Dick Smith's store or a Tandy's - basically the Aussie Radioshack where they started off selling CB radios and kit systems along with regular electronics like phones and so on.

Dick Smiths would sell Tandy clones, so the Dick Smith System 80 was riffling a TRS-80. The ads of the day are pretty fantastic.

Have I got a book for you

It reads pretty much like something a kid would pick up to try and goad their parents into getting a system 80 saying "look dad it does tax returns and banking"
also there is this hilarious thing.

How many bets it's just electronic sex dice.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Wow considering it's age that thing is pretty clean for a workshop computer, it's not covered in cigarette burns and still has all the keys,
I have seen machines less than 5 years old in worse shape.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Kamrat posted:

So 8-bit guy recently released this video for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixgsYAfZ8eo

It's about the Tyco Video Camera toy from the 90's, I never heard of this thing so I can't imagine it being very popular.

I had one of those, it was fun for a while until it burned out all the composite circuits on our vcr :( , I pulled it apart out of curiosity to discover the thing was mostly empty besides a matchbox sized ccd.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

You Am I posted:

My first computer was a Dick Smith VZ300, which was a rebadged Laser 310. I remember hating it cos I wanted a C64.

I found it again around 2016 when cleaning out dad's house, still in its original box. Gave it to a friend as I still thought it sucked.

I keep forgetting to scan and upload this silly thing to archive.org.

It's glorified pamphlet for dick smith's rebadged trs80 knock off the video genie.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I totally recommend the free NASA eBook Dressing for altitude if you are interested in the development of pressure suits, there are some pretty funny prototype suits in there like the shuttle crew rescue ball.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

How about inkjet word processors? Useful for maybe two years in the 90s, maybe.

Wow I have seen a few daisy wheel word processors in the wild but I never would have guessed that there were inkjet ones,
Can you still get the cartridges for it? it looks pretty neat.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Damm that's a cool machine, If I had one of those I'd have it running all day making posters and woodworking plans, I wish I could take it but sadly I am on the other side of the world.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

His Divine Shadow posted:

I saw some of these and got flashbacks to the 80s. I love these lights. I wonder if you can still buy them somewhere with leds instead.

I have strong memories of those strings, mainly how incredibly painful it was to step on a cap that fell off.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

handoferis posted:

Feels like a good time to post the keyboard I'm writing this post on. Who needs desk space?

:drat: You glorious bastard Is that a god dam beam spring keyboard? holy poo poo I'm jealous.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
One of the bits I remember from reading about lineshafts is if one of the cast babbitt bearings lost lubrication they could heat up enough from the friction to start dripping molten metal on the floor.

If you have never heard of cast babbitt bearings they are a brilliantly simple to make yet surprisingly robust bearing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_zmuB2upmY

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

VictualSquid posted:

Some kind of hand held plotter.

I have one of those NC scribers I found on the roadside sorry for the crummy old photo

Mine needs new belts and has a dead lcd but when I first picked it up I could put a pen in the holder and make it write what I typed on that wacky alphabetical keyboard, all up it weighs about 13 pounds due to there being a great big honkin power transformer inside the briefcase style base station.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I remember playing half life one time and it started playing the wrong music, I had two cd drives at the time and had forgotten to take a game disk out the other drive so the game was playing the redbook audio from the other disc.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Armacham posted:

Anyone else have this bad boy?

Took me a while to dig it out of my collection but I got its grand daddy from back when you could still find classic big boxes in thrift stores.

It tells a tale of woe.

The funny thing about it is that even though it's this giant collectors set box is that besides a sheet of cards and the decoder wheesl all the feelies like the maps are just printed on the same sort of really thin glossy paper that discount store catalogs are made of.

A game with Lackluster collectables that didn't even work out of the box, the more things change the more they stay exactly the same.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
looks like the big ones still in use are made like a barrel with staves and hoops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03UhJrxF9eE

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Anyone here ever see a video 2000 machine? I remember finding a stack of like 5 or six movies next to the beta section at the video store back in the day and being like what the gently caress does this thing even play in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
That's cool as gently caress but at the same time I feel like I'd break one of the wires five minutes after getting it.