Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
What kind of power would a Cray like that dissipate during routine use? Like, ballpark figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
I was in 6th grade in '92 in Redmond, WA. The ironic thing was that we exclusively had Macs as the classroom computers in the Lake Washington School District, which pretty much sucked balls for all their students as most of them had Microsoft compatible systems at home because, hey, Microsoft country. Most students couldn't work on their school work at home without their parents being knowledgeable about some way to support the disk format and buying extra software, IIRC...

One funny thing that did happen, though, was my classmates finding a printer in a library in another elementary, about 20 miles away from our school, on the Chooser. I don't remember what got printed, but the loving superintendent of the distict gave our class a "talking to" the next day.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
I would also assume that pen plotters are preferable in environments that aren't agreeable to clog-prone inkjet heads. Ever notice how your average inkjet printer clunks like crazy after you turn it on? It's literally spraying ink into a reservoir to clean the heads, that clunking sound is usually some kind of armature dabbing it with a piece of felt afterward. That's a lot of ink being wasted if it's used infrequently.

With a laser, you have the energy overhead of heating a fuser.

Pens seem to make the most sense for large high-precision vector images with a lot of empty space.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Ten or fifteen years ago I built a new computer for my dad. Being somewhat set in his ways, he insisted that it have a 5.25" floppy drive. He hadn't used a 5.25" floppy in years, but he'd always had one, and he wanted on there "just in case". (Just in case of what, I'm not certain.) The problem was that the motherboard didn't even have a connector for such ancient hardware, and I didn't want to mess with a USB external one. So I just moved the 5.25" floppy drive from his old computer into a spare slot in the new one I was building, and left it plugged into nothing. The placebo worked great; he never once attempted to use it. I finally confessed when I was building his next computer a few years later, which convinced him that okay, maybe he didn't need it after all.

I'm going to guess that the mobo actually did support it, but you probably would've had to use an adapter on the drive end of the cable. Most of those 5.25" drives had a card-edge connector instead of a pin array. In fact you could get cables that had both connectors, and any newer floppy controller would have supported two drives. They were differentiated by a "split and twist" in the cable - both drives connected to a single cable, and a single connector on the motherboard.

Actually this sums it up pretty well:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/confCable-c.html

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4dkBF5anU

E: fixed embed, thank you for holding.

Farmdizzle has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Feb 9, 2018

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ just get your Mom and yourself a loving Jitterbug and shut the gently caress up.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Domestic Amuse posted:

A bit late to the party, but.....

Still my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZNWZGZpmvU

Don't be fooled by "alternate version" in the title. This is the OG version that was originally posted to Metafilter back in 2009.

Holy poo poo I can't believe this is nine years old already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
A friend's dad growing up had a TRS-80 named 'Oscar'.

Not a network identifier or anything, he just called it Oscar.