Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Dick Trauma posted:

I was talking to my parents tonight and brought up the subject of how before the internet I had to look for work in the newspaper want ads. The last job I got from a newspaper ad was in 1998. Anyone had one more recently than that?

I just aplied for a job from the want ads in the paper.

Granted, it was an ad, and it just said "apply on line at..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I recently discovered my old AOL address from 1995 (that I stopped using in 2001) is still active.

So much spam....

I know someone that still uses AOL. Like honest to goodness "you've got mail" searches with keywords, AOL.

They're only 40. They're a loving Gen-X'er, they grew up with this poo poo!

The worst thing is they're so close to being technologically relevant, but still so far. Like, they get the whole "internet = :filez: thing, but at the same time, they still use loving Kazaa.

Kazaa.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

I think the new 56k warning should be about people on cell phones using a data plan instead. That's where I've heard the most complaints about large images or GIFs in recent memory.

The awful app automatically just gives a grey box with ".gif" written on it so if you want to load a 50mb gif it's up to you.

I like that feature. I only have 5gb of 4g before it drops to 33.6kb/s.

33.6. not even 56k. One of these months I should go over my data cap just to remember the bad old days of the early Internet. Now if only I can make my phone automatically make the dial up sound when using slow data.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

IUG posted:

If you don't want to pay a sales tax, then go to a different state I guess. The states set their tax rates, and it varies whenever you cross a border. So if you don't want to pay sales tax, go to New Hampshire.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/sales-tax-by-state

But they don't have a whole lot of people (or paved roads).

On top of that, you can vary by county/city too, since counties/cities can impose their own sales taxes.

so where I live, the city is split between two counties. one has an additional 2% sales tax, the other which is more rural does not. (the city sorta keeps spreading out further and further into the second county.) the three walmarts in the city proper, are all one price, but the one down on the south end of town, in the other county is 2% cheaper.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

mystes posted:

This doesn't make sense. It's not like stores charge the same prices at all if their locations,

big box retailers do though. literally any product in my store costs exactly the same at every single best buy across the country. same thing with target etc. there's nothing factored in for cost of living when it comes to the sticker price for any item we sell. every single google home/amazon echo costs the same EVERYWHERE. (like literally everywhere. no individual retailer can put them on sale. They're either on sale across everywhere that carries them, or nowhere that carries them.)

plus online shopping. I know bby's website defaults you to richfield minnesota (our corporate store) if you don't have location enabled. well, richfield is 7.5% when you factor in state and local. so that google home is 41.93. If we listed it like that online, people in places that charge higher sales tax would be up in arms, meanwhle places that don't charge sales tax, that item is going to be lower than the price on the website. and what about people who travel? If they have their stores still pulled up at their home location, and they pull it up online, when shopping in a different store, then they get all freaked out when the item total is way more than what they were expecting.

It's way easier to just list the price before tax, since like i said, two stores in the SAME TOWN can have different tax rates.