Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

"You are the best poster... do not let anyone say otherwise."

kith_groupie posted:

This bad boy here. I must have gotten it in 03 or so. I picked it out as a birthday present from my mother and spent years loading my huge music collection up onto it. I have moved around a lot since then and it's so nice to have this beast loaded up with all the music from my teenage years. I still use it, works like a charm. Listened to Barenaked Ladies on it just last week.

Edit 60 gigs. That thing was massive at the time. After a while I started ripping any CD I could get my hands on onto it and I never managed to fill it up.

I was wondering if someone would post the Zen Xtra after seeing all those Vision Ms. I have the exactly same one, and I still used it up until a few months ago when I think either the battery or the charger died. No problem, I'll just order a new battery from HK for and keep on rockin' another 10 years

A friend of mine had the earlier discman-shaped Jukebox, but I think it was poster already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

^^^
Oh, I had/have a PocketPC too, but one of the slate/touchscreen only ones, an Asus A600. It was pretty cool and I found it genuinely useful tool for keeping track of poo poo and playing games (Pocket UFO!).

movax posted:

I would cry with happiness for a Thinkpad sporting a glass trackpad like the Macs do. I own a MBP personally, and use a X220 at work, and my biggest beef with the X220 is the lovely trackpad.

That's because you have the wrong X-series Thinkpad.

See? No lovely trackpad problems

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

While cleaning out my grandmother's house a few years ago, I found my Dad's calculator:

And here's something I thought would be obsolete by now, but shockingly still exists: [Classic] StarLab. Once per year, this thing would roll around to all the schools in the county and we'd spend one class period in this stuffy, cramped thing and not have a clue as to what we were seeing.

My grandma has one of these:

Gonna put it on my desk if I can remember where the hell it is right now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Stick Insect posted:

I also had one of these:

Solid state mp3 players seemed rather useless at the time because of the small amount of disk space and high price, but this was perfect. I had a friend bring me one from the US.

It said it had a "120 second cache", which meant as it would play mp3 files, sometimes the disk would stop spinning for a minute and a half as it played from the cache.

In the pic the screen looks rather large but one third of it features some dancing figures that change at random, so despite the large-ish screen there'd still only be two lines of text on it.

I later replaced it with a minidisk player even though those were becoming obsolete already. I had a huge machine for recording, and a small pocket-sized one for listening on the go, but that one couldn't record. Since I got free national public transport as a student, I got both second hand for a low price even if that involved traveling to the other side of the country.

Sold both to my uncle when I realised I never used them.

The CD-MP3 players were a great thing before the HD/solid state players became viable. I had one of these:

http://www.safa.com.hk/smcd_100r_i.html

In fact, I still do, somewhere, and beside a few screwed up pixels on the remote, it worked perfectly fine the last time I tried it. It came with a bunch of flat AA-sized rechargeable batteries that fit under the CD, and an battery pack for two AAs for ridiculous playing time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Boxman posted:

The part of the book where he is trying to make plastic stands out as one of my favorites. He (spoilers for the book, because it left me grinning for, like, 30 minutes) literally calls BP headquarters and asks how he could go about buying a bucket of crude, with the intent that he will refine it into plastic in his garage...somehow. BP is non-cooperative.

I watched the TED talk and mentions the spoiler part there. Is the book worth reading, or does the video basically cover everything? Anyway, while somewhat amusing, the whole thing is a bit pointless and unoriginal: it's is basically a toaster version of the pencil from classic essay by Leonard Read:

I, Pencil posted:

Pick me up and look me over. What do you see? Not much meets the eye—there’s some wood, lacquer, the printed labeling, graphite lead, a bit of metal, and an eraser.
My family tree begins with what in fact is a tree, a cedar of straight grain that grows in Northern California and Oregon. Now contemplate all the saws and trucks and rope and the countless other gear used in harvesting and carting the cedar logs to the railroad siding. Think of all the persons and the numberless skills that went into their fabrication: the mining of ore, the making of steel and its refinement into saws, axes, motors; the growing of hemp and bringing it through all the stages to heavy and strong rope; the logging camps with their beds and mess halls, the cookery and the raising of all the foods. Why, untold thousands of persons had a hand in every cup of coffee the loggers drink!
While the essay was mainly trying to demonstrate something else, it also makes it very clear that no one person knows or would be able to make a pencil from scratch.

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

While we're on the subject, my grandad used to have one of those "manual" washing machines. I never could have figured out how the thing worked when I was a kid; I was used to more modern machines with a spinning drum.

Here is the cover of the manual (it's very high quality glossy paper and nice color print, to boot).

It boils! It washes! It wringes! People were easily impressed in 1950s, I think.

Washing machines like this were still very common in ex-soviet countries in the 90s and probably still are among the poorer people. I think my grandparents used to have one of these up until very recently:

You could turn the little white dial to set a timer and lower/raise the house relative to the machine to dump the water. Inside there was some sort of propeller type of thing, not at all dissimilar to one you see in the German one above.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

0dB posted:

I feel bad for owning an HP classic seeing as I don't know how to use of half of the functions. But I drat well wanted one when I was kid, saw it for about $10 and it's mine. Amazingly, it works.

Once upon a time you knew that an RPN calculator was a REAL calculator, a hand held super computer that was so classy it came in a fur lined leather case.

Now to find a manual.

Well your HP is way more advanced, but I found one of these beasts among my grandfather's stuff:

Except that it has 1/x instead of sqrt, and the numpad is accented by a brushed-metal finish instead of the line, as on these models. It seems to have the same display technology as the HP, but sadly I'm having trouble tracking down some compatible batteries for this piece of 30 year old soviet tech.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

.DAT Azz posted:

I'm really diggin' the design on this. It's just so 1970s retrofuturistic.

That's why I'm trying to resurrect it, all the kids with their lame Casios and what not could suck it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

Miracles You’ll See In The Next Fifty Years (Feb, 1950)

A fascinating article. Among other things, coal illegal, Atomic power too inefficent, so natural gas+solar for power plants, disposable houses, etc.

Just apply to sofa:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Prenton posted:

Ah, that reminds me.

Handheld joysticks

Including the Konix "gently caress you, leftie" Speedking

I was watching yet another Ashens Poundland special last week and came across this 30 minute video of him talking about old joysticks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbQajuuX6mM
I never got to use a joystick until an analog flight stick years later

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Radio Help posted:

I don't get this deign concept on a fundamental level. Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYZ7lAk-BdQ

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I recall reading an article a while ago about a guy who found a gun while digging for something in his backyard. He brought it to the police station and got arrested. Dunno if he was charged or did any time as I can't find that article right now, but talking to a lawyer before the cops is definitely the prudent approach.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Motorola is supposedly releasing Droid 5 with slide-out keyboard some time in Q2.

I really hope they do and that it's not some half-assed bullshit like the currently surviving keyboard anroid phones. That's one thing that's not obsolete, as I've discovered after getting a work blackberry after using a touchscreen-only HTC Desire for years. Typing up emails while maintaining eye contact during video conferences? Hell yeah.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Yay, monitor spergin'!

The one on the right is a 22" IBM T221, which in 2001 had a resolution of 3840×2400, or over 200 DPI at up to 41 Hz. That's not ideal but consider that consumer 4K/UHD screens are just starting to pop up, and many are still limited to 30Hz. It was a ridiculously expensive professional device, but you'd think it'd take less than than 14 years to become popular. I also blame the HD 1080p crew. Another example: a ~2005 ThinkaPad T60 could be had with a 1920x1200 display... which was the highest resolution you could get on a 15" ThinkPad until this year's T540's 3K option.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

What's that monitor on the right? Because that's a shitton of icons right there, do Apple displays come larger than 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 now?

On the left, you mean? I think it's a some sort of Apple 1440 or 1600 screen. That's a lot of icons, yes, but note the browser window size - on the IBM it takes up less space physically but also relatively to its screen size, while displaying the same amount of information, so the Apple display is way lower res.

Computer viking posted:

One of the few future technologies I pine for is a desktop-sized version of Samsung's ridiculous cellphone OLED displays.

I've been really hoping that my next monitor after a U2310H UltraSharp would be OLED but it's not looking promising so far, there are still issues with diode longevity and large panel manufacturing costs so I'll probably give in and get another IPS display, hopefully something 4K at a reasonable price, like this, though I'd prefer ~30" to hopefully avoid scaling.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

My Pioneer DEH-80PRS is the best head unit because it's not blue.

Well, it can be blue, but I set it to white in the daytime and red at night. The interface is actually fairly intuitive to use, and I can scroll through my songs without looking at it except for a very brief glance to see where I am in the list.

It also has settings for an automatic aucoustics compensator using a mic that plugs into the aux in port, a CD player and SD card slot if you fold the faceplate down, various stereo time delay settings, and so on, but I just have an old iPod plugged in there and a dead passenger door speaker.

Oh, and one of the backgrounds is "movie", which displays not movies from an iPod, but a loop of a soccer ball being kicked and turning into a shark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sok6FRjMZ_A

Almost got that one (or DEH-1600, I think) for my Miata but decided to try to stick a tablet in the dash instead... that I never did. But yeah, that Pioneer unit is one of the best combinations of features I managed to find: SD card for your long-term collection, front USB and Aux for quickly adding something else, and even Bluetooth for streaming from the phone or. Also not very blingy.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Apr 10, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

DNova posted:

And people landing their planes next door.

To be fair, that airport is a piece of poo poo and it gets hardly any use. Incidentally, that theater waits until it is actually dark to even start the previews. It's fun landing there at night with movies playing.

So have you ever just flown in circles to watch a movie?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Y'all scrubs. 40 GB storage, long-lasting battery. The only downside was that it's a bitch to upload music to it, you either had to use their software on Windows or (in my case) some reverse-engineered crap. No USB mass storage option.

What a loser, only 40 gb? I'm still using my 60gb Xtra, had to ebay new battery but otherwise it works as well as when I bought it. File transfer is a PITA but the library functionality more than made up for it.

Iron Crowned posted:

I had one of those, until the hard drive in it died on me one day
You know you can just replace it with a standard PATA drive, right?

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 16:52 on May 5, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

TerryLennox posted:

What's the consensus about shifting? I typically shift at 2000 RPM, my dad claims I should wait until 3000. Its a turbo diesel, so I tend to shift early to prevent the turbo from engaging and sucking up fuel like a milkshake.

There's no consensus on shifting because it depends greatly on the car and its drivetrain. For your turbodiesel 2k is appropriate, in fact going my higher will waste fuel without making you go much faster at all. On the other hand my miata wouldn't like this at all and so I shift at around 3 to 4k (or 7...) depending on how fast I want to go and how much I hate my wallet. Cars with larger gas engines can also be shifted at lower speeds, even larger displacement 4-bangers have enough low-end power to shift around 2.5 or so.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

^^^^ Try driving a truck for a hour in traffic. Truckers generally have the patience of saints, despite all the poo poo they have to put up with from lovely drivers.

For everyday driving around, shifting at 2000 RPM is just fine. However, I disagree with mobby_6kl, because you should definitely let it rev to around 3000-3500, maybe 4000 on some engines when you want to go fast, like on a motorway onramp.

It certainly depends on the engine, my experience was that revving the 1.9 TDI in an Octavia produces a lot of noise and little else, and trust me, I tried to redline it in every gear to Autobahn speeds

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Was looking for an image of Blade Runner on Laserdisc when I happened upon this:

The intricate and clever but overly expensive "solution" to a "problem" nobody had...using an obsolete format that never got a great foothold...the faux-wood paneling

Just way ahead of the curve!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Lincoln posted:

It's the primary form of communication at my workplace (300 employees), both overall and for communication within the building. I've never really had an issue with our 10MB attachment limit, and if anyone in the office would, it'd be me. Anything too large to e-mail gets dumped on the FTP & I e-mail a link; adds like 30 seconds to my day, and it almost never happens, anyway.

I am curious about how e-mail would be designed if it were just invented today, however. You're right that a lot of its features are there today simply because they've always been there.

It'd be called emlr and would only work within the one provider where you signed up. The messages would be limited to 1024 characters and the only possible attachments would be webcam snaps with cheesy filters over. The messages are visible to everyone by default, but are automatically deleted after 24 hours.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I have an old Hauppauge card as well somewhere, maybe I should try it out.

Recently I discovered that Canon pulls the same poo poo with their DSLR software - you can only download an updater, the original must be installed from a CD (that I didn't even get with my kit). Eventually I found where you can download the full installation, but it asks you for the camera serial number!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Pilsner posted:

So on that website you pay to buy a 3D Printing scheme? Everything there seems comically overpriced. $29 for a coffee cup, pointless doodads for 10-20-30 dollars and up.

Looking forward to seeing what 3D printing in the future brings. Considering how cheap you can get plastic "junk" from China and the like, I dunno.

No, actually you pay for the finished product, which includes the cost of printing and designing the part. Still more expensive then cheap mass produced junk but quite reasonable for one-off parts and such.

Edit: IMO one of the best uses for this is making custom gifts. When there isn't really anything you can buy that the giftee couldn't have bought themselves if they wanted, knocking out a cute custom item works pretty well.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Sep 19, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Goldskull posted:

Yeah the BA flight we were on recently's seatscreens have some sort of lenticular cover or plastic so you can't even see what's on them from any angle other than 'right in front of you'.

As the other guy said, they usually do allow you to see the screen in the row in front of you and one seat left or right. Caught some super -looking dude listening to Metallica on my last flight.

The BA system is pretty neat, I have to admit. I usually have my laptop on the longer flights but when they bring out the food, it's nice to have a decent selection of movies and TV shows to watch. Speaking of which, I did watch the first episode of The Knick that, doesn't that have boobs in it?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Caedus posted:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That generation of thinkpad has a base station deal that adds extra ports. I just threw one out yesterday. Best laptops from the win 98 era were those Sony VIAO 505's that were small as gently caress. I had one and it weighed maybe 1 pound and was less than half an inch thick. It was so small that to plug it into a modem you had to use a pop out port because the body of the computer was too thin to have one.
I do corporate moves, and I see a LOT of those around. They security dock in with a key for places like health clinics and such, and have 6 extra USB ports, VGA monitor, printer port and battery backup. They actually make a lot of sense for those kinds of places.

Every generation of ThinkPads has a dock, though for some ultraportable models it could be standard. Like my X32 came with one I think, as it didn't have a cd drive built in. I'm now typing this on a T520 plugged into a dock, which was optional and totally awesome. Even in a regular corporate office it's great to be able to quickly secure the laptop and have it connect to the bigass monitor, ethernet and all the other crap. I hope docks don't become obsolete technology.

Speaking of ultraportables, I used to have one of Compaq M300 that I bought refurbished while in college. Mine had XGA resolution which on an 11" screen was pretty nice and the performance with Windows 2000 was decent as well. Also I definitely recall people using floppies early on too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Geoj posted:

I work in an office that exclusively uses HP hardware and drat near every desk has a laptop dock, including people using the current generation of ultrabooks. YMMV based on which OEM you buy from apparently...

Thinkpads and other business-level notebooks still have docks. However, it wouldn't be the first time when a useful technology suddenly is "obsoleted" because a fashionable replacement is considered "good enough", though I'm not too concerned for now.

Lincoln posted:

I bought a Henge dock for my MBP, and it sucks. After dicking with it for a week, I started wondering why literally everything wasn't already wireless.

Until we can also get wireless power sufficient for a laptop, it's just much more convenient to stick it in a dock and have everything instantly work without having to bother withe the wireless bullshit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Rectus posted:

And it's almost impossible to plug in if you can't see the socket. Also, it gives fun surprise if you happen to touch the pins while the other end is plugged in.

Are you still talking about SCART? Because I'm pretty sure it's keyed and only possible to insert one way in at most two tries.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

Did I hear mention of PCMCIA ?

This is a PCMCIA / SD card adaptor slot , in a car made in 2011

Now that's just the most bizarre poo poo I've seen in a while! Not only has PCMCIA not been a thing for years, why would you even want it in a car in the first place? Although now that I think about it, I used to have an external CD drive for an ancient laptop that connected via PCMCIA...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Adobe's download estimates:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

2008-2011 was a really bad period for laptops. Too many were leaning on really awful core 2 duo processors (instead of the superior for the time AMD offering) and the ultra lovely Nvidia 9800M chipset, which was just an awful fit for a laptop. That whole series ran too hot in normal towers, IDK why they thought cramming a card with the average temp of a blacksmiths forge into tiny laptop bodies was a good idea but it reduced them all to ash in a short time.

The C2D processors were certainly hot and power hungry compared to Broadwell or Skylake but I don't think AMD was at any point after the P4 era any better. Dunno about that chipset but that was probably the problem. Source: I still have a C2D ThinkPad T61 around, it's fine.

poo poo, you can actually go look at some old forum posts and people were still "lol AMD" just like now, just a little less so:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...al-core.425348/

photinus posted:

They had something like that in Vienna, when I visited in 2007 - for €24 you could get eight days of travel on any form of local public transport; you had to punch the card for every day you travelled. Frankly, I hope they never phase them out (perfect for a week's holiday!)... even though I don't ever recall seeing a sign telling you you had to punch it in one of the unlabelled yellow machines in the underground. The only reason I didn't get in trouble was because I noticed people punching them a split second before I saw the ticket inspectors.

My parents and I got busted in Vienna the first time we were there because we never saw anyone buy or use any sort of ticket or card. At the time we were used to having turnstiles everywhere so the fact that you can just walk in was mindblowing.

Paper tickets are still used in Prague, each one is only good for a set amount. So you just stick it into a little machine and it stamps it with the time and station ID. Speaking of failed technology, they wanted to replace (different) long-term tickets with a plastic card but the whole project was an amazing fuckup with huge cost overruns, database failures and other fun issues.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Sep 3, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

I have Classic Theme Restorer so my Firefox still looks like that:

Firefox 3 will always live on in our hearts.

Literally using Opera 12 right now:

Unfortunately it starts to choke on some lovely JS-heavy sites.

ryonguy posted:

Still using this skin actually, can't see why an audio player needs an "updated" visual appearance. It's got the basic stuff you need, and that's it.

oh god it's happening to me isn't it

Same, with a couple of plugins for file formats and keyboard shortcuts, it does exactly what I need and I haven't felt the need to touch it in years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I used to have (really it should still be around somewhere) this SAFA SMCD-100R because iRiver was too mainstream (and expensive):

Thin and light as hell, had a nice remote control had FM radio and an external battery pack that I did use on long train and plane rides. Listened to this on Porta Pros and couldn't be happier, at least until I saw the Creative Zen

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Parents still have their Panasonic GAOO 70 from the mid-90s. I think it required one repair (probably something stupid like caps) and works fine to this day. Looks like this:

Jmcrofts posted:

I love old mp3 players. Anyone else own one of these?

Inside was a 5gb micro hard drive, which was a massive failure point. I went through like 3 of them that luckily Creative covered under warranty.

Couple years later they started using flash, and I got one of these bad boys:

It could play video!!! (but only if you converted it to some obscure file format, and also they took up like half of the thing's tiny amount of storage space)

Oh I almost missed the MP3 player chat again! Here's my Zen that I still use to this day with aux inputs everywhere. It's on its first ebay battery but otherwise works perfectly:

More space than my phone too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

This was my second MP3 player, I loved it until he day the hard drive went kaput on me.

FYI these players use standard 2.5" laptop drives - the only issue is that it's IDE only, so you can't just stick a terabyte SSD in it, unfortunately. Still, you can get 120GB drives for under all day long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxpJ5Bx5q0Y

120GB Hitachi drives:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120-GB-IDE-...eYAAOSwAKxWZeBn

Here's the exact battery I got - maybe not as good as the original, but still holds some charge many many years later:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-For...xYAAOSwrklVCVIH

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

poo poo, forgot CF cards were still a thing, it seemed everything short of top-tier SLRs moved to SD by now. You could definitely stick a CF card in there, or even a couple of them, actually. And yeah, it's just for sentimental value or making what you already have work.

Here's a great piece of obsolete tech that I just came across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CE_zmpHcWQ

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Even then, they hosed up massively. The idea of having a single system for desktop and tablet is great - the hardware is definitely there as demonstrated by Surface. But instead of coming up with a flexible interface system, like reactive design, that would adapt to the way the device is being used, they just said "people hated using desktop interface on touch devices - let's make everyone use touch-oriented interface instead".

Windows 10 is kind of getting there where 8 should've been, but it's still not there yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Pilsner posted:

TV tuners for PCs are alive and well, and they make them with DVB-C, DVB-T, and even (although expensive) DBV-S. I wouldn't be surprised if the US used some kooky offbeat system, but it works well in Europe. They make them as tiny USB dongles now, and there's a pretty good application called DVBViewer for doing the actual viewing. I sometimes setup a little program on my home PC which allows me to stream the TV input from home, and view it in any browser or using a suitable client, for example for watching sports while at work.

I still have an all All-in-Wonder card somewhere, it had a 3D Rage Pro chip so... it was not particularly good for games which is what I really wanted in the late 90s.

Also recently got a USB DVB-T tuner originally for my car tablet install (FM tuner via SDR) but used it a couple of times with my latptop to. Works fine but I barely watch anything that's on regular TV so these things just don't get much use for me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

For a rubber dome keyboard, the MS Natural 4k is pretty good, and the great ergonomics make up for it. You can't really blame the keyboard for poo poo like AltGr-8 to get a [, awkward key combos are just as bad on a straight keyboard because the scandinavian key layout is awful for coding purposes.

That said it's not without its flaws. Rubber dome keys. It's extremely wide, so your mouse ends up in an unergonomic position. The extra function keys serve no purpose (except the calculator key which is brilliant), and the zoom jog must be the most useless thing ever put on a keyboard. It rests on just six small rubber feet, which eventually lose their stickiness and cause the keyboard to start sliding around on the desk.

The Sculpt was unfortunately one step forward and two steps back. While the keys are arguably better, the ergos of Sculpt aren't as good as the 4k, they hosed up the arrow keys and Insert block, and the function keys are atrocious.

If I were to dream up the perfect keyboard, it would be a MS Natural 4k but wireless, with high quality mechanical keys and the numeric keypad lopped off to a separate unit. Remove the dumb zoom jog and replace it with a trackpoint nub. Also give it larger, more durable rubber feet.

end

Speaking of obsolete tech, I'm typing this post right now on the update of the original PS2 MS Natural:

The only downside is with the messed up cursor keys but I got used to it after 16 years. Otherwise it keeps working fine (and feels pretty good for a rubber dome system) so I never get the motivation to shell out a Grant or two for a new keyboard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

The last place I worked had a machine that made some really good hot chocolate on demand, and we could use it as much as we wanted. I ended up drinking way too much cocoa in the short two months I spent there before I quit.

We have this now, there are two machines on different floors that make it slightly differently - one is more milky and creamy and the other more chocolaty. What saves me from certain death is that they both are in a different building than the one I'm in (our machine only does coffee) so it's way too much effort to get them.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Explosionface posted:

Sometimes it's okay to leave things alone. Also, you can hit an American light switch easier in the dark. Just wipe your hand on the wall. Lining up the screws on the faceplates is also a good way to impress people with your OCD.

Our wall sockets are in fact garbage, but there's no feasible way to overcome the inertia on those.

I don't think so, you just hit these ones closer to the top or bottom, you can also do it easily with an elbow (or even nose) if your hands are busy or dirty. The sockets are definitely lovely, yeah.

UK plugs/sockets look like over-engineered garbage. EU are fine even though the grounded ones are too bulky for my taste. The "best" ones I've seen so far are definitely the Thai ones, just check this out:

Used it myself with EU and American plugs and they work fine if a bit loose with the thinner EU prongs. I would guess they'd also work with UK and Australian ones, at least.