Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I have a lot of memories playing Snake on #9.

I don't recall any of the phones my parents had before the mighty Nokia, but I do remember at one point we did have a Bag Phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Phy posted:

I don't know how it is in the states but in my province you can apply for a custom license plate with your ham callsign on it, I've seen a few running around

It's the same in the US. How else would I tell other drivers what a giant nerd I am?

If ham radio chat stirred any interest, we actually have a goon thread in DIY.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2827275

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
It's worth mentioning that the FCC really only cares about having a valid mailing address.

If you're really that paranoid, just get a P.O. Box.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Saw this on a Reddit post.

A PDP-11 emulator connected to a simulated paper teletype.
https://pavel-krivanek.github.io/pdp11/

Kind of fun to play with and get a feel for how Unix use and programming would have been back in the 70s.

If you intend to play around and write some somple programs in C, you're going to want to reference the pre-ANSI K&R.
https://archive.org/details/TheCProgrammingLanguageFirstEdition/mode/2up

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Yup, I have a paper copy of it as well, though mine is more for the historical reference since I graduated in 2012.

It seems like that book is the only real reference I can find to historical C usage prior to ANSI standardization.

The early days of computing fascinate me; it really seems like the wild west in a lot of ways.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wasn't Turbo C not ANSI though?

Wikipedia says the last version of Turbo C was 2.0, released in 1988. ANSI C was 1989, so yes.

I should clarify that I guess I meant pre-K&R C. Before ANSI, K&R was the de-facto reference as far as C standards go.
I would love to find some programming references that predate even that. *See edit.

Wikipedia posted:

K&R introduced several language features:
  • Standard I/O library
  • long int data type
  • unsigned int data type
  • Compound assignment operators of the form =op (such as =-) were changed to the form op= (that is, -=) to remove the semantic ambiguity created by constructs such as i=-10, which had been interpreted as i =- 10 (decrement i by 10) instead of the possibly intended i = -10 (let i be -10).

As far as I can tell, stdio.h wasn't even a valid header before K&R.
The reading between the lines is that you were probably hardcoding I/O poo poo to the individual hardware back then, and interoperability was a laughable concept. This kind of touches on the wild west feeling I mentioned.

Edit:
After posting, I decided to travel down the rabbit hole and actually managed to find some neat stuff!

A Unix C Programmers for 6th Edition Unix from 1975.
https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/cman.pdf

I'm actually kind of impressed that Bell Labs keeps these PDFs around and that it's hosted on Dennis Ritchie's old user page.

xergm has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Mar 6, 2020

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I guess it also depends on what you're trying to do and what you have available.

I have a both NVMe and SATA SSDs in my system, but I also have the 4 spinning disks that went in nearly 10 years ago.

They haven't failed yet, so I just hooked them up to an old Dell RAID card and put them in RAID 0.
It's actually pretty decently fast and nice for games that aren't as demanding. Keeps them from taking up space on the SSD for the games that need it.

That being said, I'll probably end up replacing all of them with an single SSD on the next upgrade. I'm really just trying to get the most use out of old parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
With custom firmware, any PS3 can be backwards compatible with PS2 games to some extent.

I've had pretty good success playing my catalog of games on my PS3 Slim.

I would still be going on my release model fat PS3 if it hadn't poo poo itself, but I've been pretty happy with the software emulation.