Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009
Has anyone got a link to the early motorcycle sat-nav that was a physical map mounted on a cylinder that spun and twisted based on your heading? I think it was Honda, but I'm not certain. It's surprisingly difficult to Google... (I guess motorbike GPS is a hot topic)

Also, I have a Game Gear. I got it in the mid-2000s from a secondhand shop and it is awesome. Eats AAs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009
My old workplace has a Novell NetWare server that can be used as a failover EPOS server if necessary. It's so beige.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

This is the Dolby CP55 Cinema Sound Processor. This was the most cutting edge piece of equipment your theater could have in 1985 for turning little squiggles on film into surround sound. It has Dolby A type noise reduction. SR had yet to be invented.

I used to work in a school that shared its auditorium with a non-profit community cinema. They had one of these in the projection room that I had to use when teachers wanted sound with their presentations, and I never would have guessed that it was from 1985.

Just before I left, they had a (secondhand, I believe) digital projector installed. It was a beast, and had what was essentially a computer connected up to it. The chief projectionist walked me through the process of showing films on that thing (he loved projection and would talk to anyone within earshot about it until they made excuses and got away), and as you (or someone else) said, the films were delivered on encrypted hard-drives which were loaded into the computer and then unlocked remotely a few minutes before show time. A lot quicker than splicing film together, but nowhere near as tactile.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea, I mean Welsh figured out a different method, but I can see how we stuck with what we had.

I know this is contributing to a derail, but I will run the risk of probation to tell you just how much this made me laugh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)