Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think I was the last person left int he world using a Nokia 6260.

I called it the Brick 2.0, because that thing was probably the last 'blocky' cell phone. It was durable as all hell, I actually got it as a hand-me-down from my mom (a rather clumsy woman) and despite it being dropped rather a lot over time it never really became less functional and only ever got like, five scratches tops. I think most of my family and friends went through two or three phones in the time I owned this thing. I replaced it with a cheap Sony phone which is working well enough, but I miss my Nokia's ability to go almost a week without being charged. I'd go back to it if I didn't trade it in.

I read through this thread over a day, and I'm wondering, whatever happened to the trend of smartwatches? I never even had one, and I think they're just way cooler than smartphones--how can you get more secret agent than a watch that does a dozen things but might not actually tell time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Hell, you can't give the GBA and DS credit for being durable as gently caress without mentioning the original Game Boy. Special tales of survival for that thing in my memory include falling from a second story window of a house and staying out there for an entire winter until the snow melted, getting run over by a car, and surviving a Gulf War bombing. All three worked like new afterwards.

EDIT:

Flipperwaldt posted:

But like all Sony earphones (at the time?) they sounded like poo poo anyway.

I have a Sony Erikson phone, and the earphones still sound like poo poo. The left one barely even plays anything half the time now.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Aug 31, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Player pianos were mentioned a couple pages back. I actually remember hearing they caused one of the first 'old media threatened by new media' cases in history that actually tried to go the legal route. Admittedly TVTropes isn't the best source here, but according to them apparently Sousa went before Congress and tried to argue that player pianos would cause humanity to evolve away from vocal chords because we'd no longer have to sing to make music. I'm not entirely sure Sousa understood quite what the issues at hand were.