Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Manfrompoot posted:

More lovely music devices:

This represents kind of a weird middle ground between CDs and MP3s. HitClips were tiny, super low-end music players marketed at kids. They were mono only with one earbud, and they took tiny cartridges with lanyards attached to them that you could clip to a keychain. They would play about thirty seconds of a song at the lowest bitrate imaginable, but I think they later bumped it up to a whole minute. The players were like $10 and the cartridges were about $3. All the hottest flavour-of-the-month pop stars were represented (Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears et al.) so they were a big hit with their target demographic of young kids with no taste in music. I never had one myself, but I remember being at Wal-Mart and pressing the "Try Me!" button for one featuring Sisqo's classic "Thong Song" (remember, these were for kids) and thinking it was a waste of plastic even then.

I see your HitClips, and raise you one Pocket Rocker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqy7NB3nxhY

I actually had one of these for a while before I talked my dad into getting me one of those lovely red stereo's that were kinda rounded on the edges. You know the ones I'm talking about. I think they came in other colors too. They were the next best thing to having your own boombox, and you didn't have to be a body builder to carry that poo poo around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU