Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

burnsep posted:

I'm 100% sure that in the late 90's I saw a TV ad for a luxury sedan that had a heat vision HUD for night driving. In the ad, the driver narrowly avoids hitting a deer thanks to it. Thinking back on it, I must be mistaken, but the memory is very strong. Am I crazy?

Cadillac introduced an infrared HUD for the 2000 model year, but it was expensive (almost $2500) and sold poorly. By 2004 it was selling fewer than 600 units per year, and GM killed the option. Since then a few other manufacturers have tried their luck, to mixed (and usually limited) success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Tempest815 posted:

I've tried many times just now to come up with the words for that but holy poo poo.

The name makes it. That is 90s as hell, "gently caress NO YOU CAN'T USE MY COMPUTER, ARE YOU EXPERT MOUSE RATED!?".

Kensington still makes a (slightly updated) version. Just like regular mice it got updated with optics and a scroll wheel.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Tempest815 posted:

Wow so, that happened. Seriously are the extra buttons like back/forward or programmable (i hope)? Because I'm imagining all the poo poo I can't do because I can't fourth click.

The TrackballWorks driver allows for quite a lot of customization. They have a brief video you can check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqq1KqTI7Z0, and it will give you a good idea of how much fine-tuning they allow.

KozmoNaut posted:

I had one, and while the scroll ring was absolutely terrible, the ball and buttons worked well. The size and weight of the ball lent itself well to precision movement.

I've used one, and I thought the ring was perfectly acceptable, once I tuned it in the drivers to behave the way I liked it. Out of the box, yes, it was pretty bad.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

tribbledirigible posted:

This reminds me, wasn't there a sort of game controller that came out 2006-2007 that was basically a suspended armature- it came with a default knob for basic movement, but you could attach a pistol grip for playing shooters.

Yeah, that's the Novint Falcon. I understand that it's still stubbornly clinging to life, less as a game controller and more as a custom input device for specialized, high-end software. The most recent game add-on pack in their store is Diablo III, and the Novint Falcon site still says "copyright 2012", but they have an "End of Summer 2013" sale going on, so they're around, but just barely.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

DicktheCat posted:

This has absolutely nothing to do with nothing, but I bet those supercomputer buildings were always nice and toasty in the winter! Also, thinking about the data center things, I also bet you could use the warm water they put off in those buildings instead of a hot water heater!

Disregard this post, as it is just dumb rambling.

Not really, it isn't. Cogeneration and district heating are pretty well-established uses of other heat-generators (power plants, mostly - think the entire New York City steam system), and data centers are trying to figure out good ways to get in on that. The thing is, cooling a data center is incredibly expensive (a third to nearly half of the power demand), so every joule of heat you can give away or, even better, sell to someone else, is a joule you don't have to pay for with another joule in cooling, and on a "green"-ish sort of sense it's a joule that someone doesn't have to re-produce with even more power. You'll lose some in the transmission, of course, but overall giving that computer heat away is an incredibly good deal for everyone involved.

I remember Helsinki started building a pretty large underground data center on this exact principle, but I don't remember if it's been completed yet.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Der Luftwaffle posted:

It's been about a year since I've flown, but I've heard that on some carriers they've done exactly that, axed the headrest tvs for rent-able tablets.

I flew just a couple weeks ago, and United even has an app now that will let you watch from your own device. It's very smart. The built-in entertainment systems are hugely expensive, because of the infrastructure and flight certification requirements. Once you get through with all of that, the cost of building in seatback screens to a passenger jet averages out to nearly $1000 per inch per screen.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Johnny Aztec posted:

What was it?
It leads to a 404 now.

It still works if you go to the original post; the quote was broken.
Here you go.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think I posted it in this thread, but I was trying to find the largest consumer CRT TV made. I was able to find references to 40" and maybe 42" TV existing, but no model numbers, pricing, dates, etc. I know towards the end of their existance, Best Buy regularly sold 32" CRT TVs, but I don't personally remember seeing any bigger than that.

The Mitsubishi CS-40* series of 40" CRTs weighed about 240 pounds, and in the mid-90s were the kings of the mountain. You can check out the manual for a CS-40503 here, and a press release mentioning them here. MSRP ranged from $3499 for the base-model 40503 to $3999 for the top-end 40805 (~$5400-6200 in today's dollars). They didn't sell very many and it was discontinued in 1998.

In 2001, Sony made a Trinitron in the same size, the 40XBR800, which was even capable of 1080P. It weighed three hundred pounds and cost a relatively paltry $2,300. (Specsheet here, paywalled WSJ article here.)

There's some internet rumor that Mitsubishi once made a 61" CRT, but quickly discontinued it because the tubes didn't last very long and were quite dangerous to move.

Cassius Belli has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

shovelbum posted:

It's still Apple-only isn't it?

Google Voice had something similar as part of an app, and Android itself has had its own version since Marshmallow.