Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Manky posted:

Nintendo can have some silly ideas now and then, but drat if they can't make solid hardware

I saw a video of some guys dragging a game cube up and down and gravel road, then using it. Nintendo Power encouraged people to send in stories of hardware surviving massive abuse. The two I remember most are the GameBoy left out in the snow all winter, and the NES punctured by a rocking chair during a move. Nintendium is a hell of a substance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Stick Insect posted:

I learnt to touch-type on one of these. Dad didn't want me to put the coloured stickers on the PC's keyboard. :downs: So he got me an electric typewriter.

An extra PC keyboard woulda been loads cheaper.

That looks like the Brother GX series we sell here. And for the number of ribbons we sell for typewriters and calculators, neither is close to obsolete.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Bought one of those things on clearance at work for $2.50. Had 121 games. No piracy involved that I knew of. Holy crap that thing was a ripoff. Sub-Atari graphics, sub-... Umm... Sub-... Yeah, is there 2-bit chip tunes? If so, sub that. Christ. I'd like to know what moron thought it was a good idea to try and sell those at an office supply store.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mr_Person posted:

I can definitely see removable media going away for the average home user eventually. I built my current PC in 2008, and since then it's only ever had external hard drives connected to it for backups and a flash drive once for OS installation. It's never had an optical drive and I've never run into a situation where I've needed one.

There are a LOT of people who just will not buy software in a downloadable format. Just, they refuse. I do not understand it, but I will not hesitate to continue to take their money at work. I think that attitude will continue for a long time, since even in college-aged kids who use iTunes for music and movies have a disconnect when it comes to software. Optical drives are going to be around quite a while yet, and removable media more so. Personally, I'd rather keep isos or exes of programs on an external drive rather than downloading them whenever I need to reinstall.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jedit posted:

Guild Wars 2 costs £50 for a digital download and £30 for a physical copy. Do you understand it now?

Not the kind of situation I'm talking about.

Landerig posted:

I think one of the reasons for this aversion to digital downloads is that they are intangible. When you have the physical media that your program resides on, complete with official label and in many cases, complex anti counterfeiting holograms, you have physical proof that you own the product. If you saved the receipt from where you bought it that's even better because you have proof of where and when you bought it. Being a physical hard to counterfeit object is also why paper money will be around for a very long time.

With a digital download, you have *zero* physical proof. Any and all proof that you own a copy of the song or software is all digital, and digital data is not as trustworthy as an actual physical object.

Now that said if the price is low enough, digital downloads are worth the risk, real or imagined.
That's more what I'm talking about. All other things being equal, such as price and length of use allowed, etc. This is a good explanation of why people still prefer physical copies. My only possible reply is "you can have a receipt for it either way" but that still seems like it's not as good a reason as wanting that officially printed disc.

I guess I'm just too used to damaging/losing discs and cd keys to not love downloads.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I had to jack my desk way up in order to have my monitor high enough to get it to my eyeline (after putting it on a riser, to boot) and now I really need a keyboard tray, but I want a quality one, so I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal. Anyone actually Like keyboard trays and can recommend a good one for $100 or less?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jasta posted:

Yeah, I pay rent to older people and have to write them cheques, but that's the only time when I use them.

Old people? Try lazy-rear end landlords. Previous landlord was a nice guy, but took ages to deposit the cheques, to the point of sometimes a couple weeks before it came out of my account. But it would take him time and effort to set up electronic payment methods like Internet bill payers or direct debit for every new tenant. So, cheques.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also out of the hands of every person who might want to call you.

Edit: Holy poo poo, a goon's dream come true! The glory of having your iPhone, but without those pesky people calling and texting you!

Wouldn't it be a simple matter to make it so that on any smartphone or phone with texting, you could put letters in the dialing field? If the tones are still on the phone companies' systems, a firmware patch to enable it shouldn't be hard. The part that would kill it is no landlines would be able to call, and any menu tree that used it wouldn't be navigable, since it would only be dialable pre-connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BoutrosBoutros posted:

So not really a gun at all then.

Yeah. A LASER gun!