Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I had never heard of the (Tandy) Memorex VIS before today, but this promo video for it is extremely 90s and very bonkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc5JTBbZ_Kg

Having done a little looking, this system looks like it is the textbook definition of "early adopter's remorse."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9FpJFjs_7Y

Everything about this system feels like it's out of a weird dream.

Thank you for helping me understand just what the hell I was seeing in Radio Shack when I was five years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I got one of those as a teenager as a gag gift. I used the cigarette lighter once or twice for shits and giggles, and I'm pretty sure that was responsible for my PSU dying not too much later.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm might use one of those photo kiosks to send some photos with a gift, so they still have a niche purpose I think.

I have a color inkjet at home with only a black cartridge in it because it's not great for photos and it's only used for taxes and tickets.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

What the gently caress are you guys doing to your poor browsers?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

CEDs are tough to keep in good shape. You have to make drat sure to keep them vertical, and I dont think the prior owners of mine did. Otherwise, if you stack them horizontally, they're so loving heavy that the thin caddy walls will give way and scuff the discs.

Most, if not all of my discs are afflicted to some extent.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's really odd, but I was sold duplicate CEDs as well

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Buttcoin purse posted:

I thought the Kodak gold CD-Rs were the best though?

CD-Rs are a whole different animal.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I used to love that site. Imagine my surprise when Vinesauce posted a video of a generic-looking game pack and it turned out to be a bundle of those old ezone games!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdvtSClcwA

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

VM software? Ehhhh, not really... Stuff like DOSBox and PCem can do it with varying degrees of success.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Porfiriato posted:

Some guy on Reddit used a Raspberry Pi and a floppy drive to build a "VCR" that can play a full-length feature film on a 3.5-inch disk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/kkzpuk/i_created_a_floppy_disk_vcr_that_plays_full/

I deeply appreciate him using the Selectavision intro for this. It reminds me of trying to watch streaming video over 56k, except it's quite a bit better.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Humphreys posted:

Time to fix one of my LaserDisc Players. It's an Onkyo DX-V500 which is a clone of a Pioneer so the U1 error is loading belt related. Of course after I unhook it from the depths of my home theatre it decides to behave

Pic is also a bit of a where's wally

What's going on with that Model 1 Sega CD?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Assuming you probably did this already, but in case you haven't: Swap the surface-mounted caps and you might not need the laser.

Fixed skipping issues for mine.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I guess I don't get what's so egregious about the latest Firefox UI changes that made everyone so mad.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I find it hard to distinguish the tabs now, because there's no contrast between their borders except on the currently selected tab.

Yeah, that's fair. I never noticed because I compulsively close inactive tabs and only ever keep several at a time.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The best interaction I've had with an engineer was with one who kept calling me and asking about the stuff he was working with. One time I told him I had no idea what some doo-dad was like, as we'd never had it in stock, and he got mad and said I was supposed to know so I said "no, you're the engineer responsible for this system, you're supposed to know" and he stopped calling me. (Just for clarification: he was supposed to know, it was his loving system.)

e: This also illustrates why I'm not in sales.

Software developers do the same with me. "Hey, can you tell me what this stack trace means?"

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Imagined posted:

https://i.imgur.com/eNkWQ1P.mp4

I need my next keyboard to have an INTERNET BUTTON

If you have a nearsighted husband and kids, boy do we have the computer for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

This sent me to the Yahoo home page to see if "What's New?" and "What's Cool?" were still there, but alas.