Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Wristwatches have always been just as much a fashion piece as a functional time piece. They're jewelry. Not going away any time soon.

There's still value in academia (:byodood: DON'T LOOK AT YOUR PHONE YOU MUST BE CHEATING), but outside of that their function has been completely outsourced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Thulsa Doom posted:

I've always wanted to somehow recover one of them, put a fishtank where the television is, and just set a regular set on top of it.

:aaaaa: I have one of these old ones on my porch (just got the new one last weekend) & a fishtank in my living room. If either were mine & I had the space for it I'd do it, but alas, they are my brother-in-law's.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

What do you mean "was"? I know people that still pay for this poo poo, no matter how much I try to push them away from it.

My mother-in-law finally moved from AOL to DSL last year because she couldn't get wi-fi to her iPad via dialup :wtc:
She & the wife still use AOL email addresses though. Same with a guy at work, just general computer-lazy people that know what they need & never care to learn further.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Libluini posted:

Well, maybe it explains why my mother was always angry with me during that time. She, in even more technical ignorance than me, explained our abnormaly high phone bills with me "talking to much with my friends" over the phone. Which I didn't. I just dialed into Btx and was confused what my mother was talking about. I just put weird-looking toys over the phone and dialed seemingly random numbers, I wasn't actually "calling" someone.

At the time, I thought you actually had to call someone to make the call "count". Machines weren't included as "someone".

I was a dumb teenager. :downs:

Oh, man, this reminded me of a technology that I don't think even exists any more.

My mom signed us up for USA Datanet long distance service, back when that was a thing that wasn't "free unlimited" on every telephone plan (cellular or land line). The idea was you called a free 800 number, and then after connecting to them you'd dial the number of the person you wanted to call. It was ten cents a minute with a cap of 99 cents per call if they were in the same general region of the country as you, and $1.99 anywhere else in the US. The perfect balance between paying the outrageous charge for sporadic long-distance calls without a long distance plan & paying the big fee for a long-distance calling plan and then having to come up with reasons to keep talking to these far-away people.

Cue me calling my long-distance girlfriend a state away...except I'd keep hanging up on her & re-dialing because the kitchen phone had a flashing indicator when the line was busy & I didn't want anyone knowing I was making the calls, so every time someone got up I hung up and waited for them to sit back down before re-calling. And I wondered how we ended up with hundreds of dollars in long-distance calls! Good god I was stupid.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Fozaldo posted:

It was also so important to have that "66" displayed on a big chunky LED on the the front of the case :smug:
Don't forget to have the TURBO button installed that didn't seem to do anything but turn on the 1 at the front of the display, thereby showing an absurd 166MHz speed :wotwot:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

treiz01 posted:

What smartphone do you have where you cannot hold down the spacebar, then swipe left or right to move through the text you have written?

:stare: What keyboard does this?

e: oh, the default Google keyboard. I'm still on Swype & they don't have that as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Are you thinking that places have HD security cameras? AHahahaha god no. 99.99999% of places still have potato boxes that wouldnt be out of place in the 1990s.

Honestly, there are a lot of places that did install HD security cameras...that mostly are run at low-SD quality because the owners cheaped out & didn't also replace the 10 year old hard drives storing the footage or the tiny CRT monitors in the surveillance room.