Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Guys he was asking about making moving pictures, not photographs

Get enough photographs, throw them in front of eyes. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dick Trauma posted:

I think I posted this earlier in the thread in a fit of nostalgia. I borrowed it a few times from the library.

I didn't even have a computer at the time. I typed out programs on a typewriter and tried to follow the code to see how it worked. :cripes:

I learned how to program via the VIC-20 programming manual. I never got the VIC-20 to work, but I knew BASIC by writing out programs on paper.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I was too young to program on the Vic-20 growing up. I did basic style scripting on my calculator eventually though.

This was in the mid oughties, like a decade ago. The knowledge pairs well with my knowledge of typewriter usage and maintenance, and my TI calculator from the 1970's.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mister Kingdom posted:

No radio sources that I'm aware of. And nobody else's headset does it.

Ghosts. Get a priest.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Antifreeze Head posted:

If the coins from before then weren't made of precious metals (silver mostly) you would probably find those circulating still. For instance, I sifted through small jar of pennies I had on my desk and was able to find all five portraits featured on the Canadian penny since the switch to the two maple leaf design.

1943, 1962, 1969, 1998, 2012

I shined the older three up a bit to make them easier to see (ketchup, in case you ever need to do something similar, ruins the value for anything though so don't). It would have been unusual to find King George money, but I got that in my change in the last 12 months of the penny's circulation, so it isn't unheard of. Basically people would only hold on to stuff with a different design, which generally means commemorative issues and prior designs.

At least that held true until the Mint here started issuing commemorative designs all the drat time. Now I only make an exception to set aside the quarters struck in 1999 because they are a loving embarrassment and I hate that they are in circulation.

I bet nobody ever loving bothers to counterfeit those, though.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Hey! My mother and father still uses Tracphone, and they certianly don't earn enough to be drug dealers. Mostly they keep them around in case of emergency (car breaks down, need to get in contact now, whatever). They've been buying those $20/60min cards for years so they have some insane number of minutes because those minutes expire after some amount of time unless you get another card.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pilsner posted:

Haha, WTF?

I have a 4G plan with 10 GB data, 10 hours calling, unlimited texting for.... approx $11 per month. And it's rock solid reception and speed all over. :denmark:

Telecommunications are hosed in America. See: internet speeds, Comcast, our weird wireless restrictions.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

WebDog posted:

Window 95 is 20 this week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3sDipqrjd0

Gates demonstrating Windows 95 in his mobile computing....van...thing. Serial ports for all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRdl1BjTG7c
That Start Me Up video is fantastic for capturing a sort of hyper-realised version of early internet computing in the 90's along with other trends, such as the schizophrenic clip-art-astic florist ad in Word, the "coffee and muffins Web Cafe" along with accurately predicting a world of laptops on the go.

And yes kids, a Web Cafe was where you could go to experience the internet outside of a public library or your school and where it wasn't either horridly slow or filled with excessive blocking software. Just creeps hitting on people in chatrooms.

Start Me Up, also features another obsolete thing, The Microsoft Network.

It was Microsoft's answer to AOL, it started off as being little more than a list of chat rooms and directories. and wasn't really well received owing to the lack of content.

In 1996 came MSN 2.0 and with it the multimedia centric styling of the times with rich graphic menus and obnoxious promo videos powered by ActiveX and "FutureSplash" an early version of what was to become Flash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRJCeJhjLw
Featuring Anna Faris giving you unsettling implications on what Channel 5 is really meant for.

It expanded on chat rooms by adding access to Encarta, news services, shopping and so on with the intention of being a visually rich version of the internet vs the otherwise bland and static designs of the times.
It was highly debated at the time if this would end up being an internet killer, suggesting the high adoption rate of Windows 95 could lead people to focus purely on accessing through MSN instead of IE. So many people started designing content for both.

But the heavy video and graphics overhead along with buggy software ticked off lots of people and after noting lots of negative posts being deleted by Microsoft frustrated members created a popular hate-site possibly one of the first examples of user backlash by internet.
MSN 2.5 corrected that and returned to a more text based design and ditched many of the multimedia rich content that was giving users the runs.

MSN still survives today, most of the content gradually shifted out of the MSN service and many things like "Friends Online" or email morphed into Messenger Live and Outlook Express becoming accessible to non paying members.

My parents still have a @msn.com email and will probably continue to use it until death.

(I used to have one too, and a @yahoo)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

How often do people try to touch the screen to select their option?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm usually not impressed by these claims but jesus christ that truly was awful.

Kidder... EATERUPUS???

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Zaphod42 posted:

That is easily the goofiest headset I've ever seen. Holy poo poo dual-CRTs mounted right to your face? :lol:

Imagine trying to turn your head or, god forbid, look up. I kept expecting to see some rigging that supported the weight of that goddamn thing.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dick Trauma posted:

Any technology with "-o-matic" in the name ought to be forced into obsolescence if it isn't already there.

Obviously, that poo poo wouldn't fly in Glorious HFCS-ica.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mister Kingdom posted:

<scans dick and computer runs out of memory>

EDSAC didn't have a scanner, hon.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

hackbunny posted:

I'm old enough to remember arcade cabinets with ashtrays

That SAGE console demonstrates two other obsolete technologies:
  • light pens, replaced first by mice and more recently touch screens
  • it was a console for a flight control network for strategic nuclear bombers. By the time it was operational, strategic bombers had been all but replaced by inter-continental and sub-launched missiles as nuclear delivery systems. Since it was a really nice flight control system (you could point and shoot at an enemy bomber on the screen, and the system would automatically scramble fighters and direct them by autopilot until they were in range - it could do this fifty years ago), it was repurposed for civil aviation

This is probably way off the mark, but I like to imagine that this means that, for a while, civil air flights were actually trying to bomb airports without bombs, making some rusty computer very confused before a pilot took over to land.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It's obviously not what happened, but I like to imagine the guy typing "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" over and over and over.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

treiz01 posted:

C'mon man, the Combined Community Codec Pack - CCCP for short - was capable of playing just about anything!

Yeah, but it always balanced to the left for some reason.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

America is BIG. America is HARD. America is MANLY!! AMERICA IS THROBBING! AMERICAAAAA!

e: well this is a good page snipe

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

You can buy a replica on ebay for $300, apparently they really liked dumb telephones back then.

A part of me wonders what cellphone nostalgia will look like when we move on from the Nokia and start on olde-styl smartphones. Dedicated Apple fanboys fighting over first-gen iphones? Open source nerds celebrating getting Ubuntu 56.23 to run on the first Googlephone? Somebody giving a poo poo about blackberry in the 21st century? Who knows!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SubG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChFuTtoUVY

The best semi-obscure thing related to the 2600 that hasn't been mentioned is the Starpath/Arcadia Supercharger, which was a bigass Atari cart featuring a 1/8" audio plug. Which you plugged into the audio jack of a cassette tape player. From which you loaded the games. Many of the games were your standard ripoffs of contemporary arcade games and games for other consoles (there was an Asteriods clone, a Star Raiders clone, and so on). But there was also a maze/puzzle game called Escape from the Mind Master and an RPG called Dragonstomper that were a couple of the best titles of that generation.

The Vectrex owns bones but has the drawback of having a lovely controller...that breaks at the drop of a hat.

I'm sorry, but Communist Mutants from Space is my GOTY every year, on name alone.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Platystemon posted:

You can pry my document feeder from my cold, dead hands.

If you still use one we don't have long to wait.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

mystes posted:

I already asked this except I ninja edited my post to the name of the correct cup company.

They should really set up a marco that plays smooth jazz every time someone presses escape.

That or automate a water cooler.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

LOL if you own a car.

(Big city lyfe)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Those shorts were racist. Designed by the white man to keep the blacks from preforming well in basketball. Look at em. Those guys had to run with their knees together to keep those big, fat black hogs from spilling down to their knees. The white dudes had freedom of movement cause of those merely normal dicks. A dick like that ain't gonna go dangling out of some short shorts.

Can confirm, I am a white woman and my dick never hangs out of my shorts.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure that the massive white flight from those shopping districts was most of the other reasons. Malls are basically whiteness in building form, which never keeps me from getting food court Taco Bell anytime I'm near one.

Thread submission: Old style franchise fast food. Bad food, prices becoming uneconomical, social stigma.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I remember as a kid getting most of my taste in books from wandering thrift shops looking for interesting novels that weren't Tom Clancy or religious.

And now all I read is genre trash and queer autobiographies. Thanks Bookmans'(?) my local cheap book shithole.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm posting on a T400 because it was originally a cheap laptop for my Mom that she didn't want. My semi-decent tablet laptop convertible died a horrific firmware death, so this is the best I got. Battery lasts about 20 minutes off mains.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pilsner posted:

To be frank, all companies out there play the super-optimistic outlook, whether it's in their shareholder reports, website or other marketing materials. No company is willingly going to admit to a bleak future.

Oh yes, welcome pages. Remember how artsy/creative websites loved to have a font so tiny in their flash thing, it was borderline unreadable? I'm talking like 10 pixels tall. Sadly, now it's gone too far the other way, and fonts are just annoyingly huge, in my opinion.

Benjamin Button parachute account spotted.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Just cut your dick off. Then it can't get caught in a zipper. #lifehaxx

It's really expensive to safely cut off dicks, sadly. :smith:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Nothing after Uptown Funk is classic rock. :downs:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Can I 3D print jorts out of recycled fedoras with Tux on them, to wear when I'm honing my Hanzo steel?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

2064: Read Only Memories is an excellent point n' click involving a cute robots, gay poo poo, and a killer soundtrack.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to keep this reply separate:

Thanks for the heads up on keeping the new girl* offline. Will do. (No worries, I'm posting this from a lovely handmedown iPad that doesn't even render animated gifs in PYF funny pics; have I mentioned my love of using free old crap?)

*suggestions on names are welcome, I name all my computers, cars, and other major appliances

If you're up for a challenge, you could wipe XP, install a tiny (but up to date!!) Linux, and use qemu to emulate an XP box. Browse the web, get your files in and out in Linux, open up your old people program in the virtual machine. The XP stays offline and virus free, and you get a full computer out of it.

(Qemu can almost run 1:1 to running an OS on the the machine itself.)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I feel like Intel would support NASA for the sheer nerd cred (read: PR) of having their computers taking humans into space.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

mystes posted:

But a lot of the links work and just go straight to exe files?

Maybe you should update your virus scanner, friend.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Jedit posted:

I've had two colleagues back to back sitting next to me who needed a vertical mouse due to rotator cuff injuries. They would have transferred the same one across, probably, except one of them was right handed and the other left handed.

I'm left-handed but I use computer mice with my right hand, is that not normal for lefties?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm replaying the 3ds remake of Ocarina of Time, and it still holds up very, very well. Not having to play it on a 64 controller probably helps.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Plinkey posted:

I think this might even still be the case with subway, at least at one point if you got your sub heated it would count as cooking or preparing or something so it was taxes, no toasting = no tax.

You can use EBT to get subway... if it's the cheap products, unheated, and you take it home. No eating it there. Now, most folks wouldn't bother since it's a waste, but, well, it happens.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

chitoryu12 posted:

Or have a self-driving mode that lurches into a wall for no reason and kills [tesla owners].

Feature, not bug.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I have mine wired up to the bat signal, it's a lot more useful and people actually notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Can you imagine what "vintage" cars are going to be like in 30 or 40 years?

Underwater.