Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!

Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

Project Pluto - the nuclear ramjet cruise missile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

This is like some ridiculous concept that was too silly to put in a Fallout game or something. Who thought this was a good idea?

I suppose it can be attributed to nuclear power being all the rage those days- once an important new technology is discovered there tend to be a lot of dumb ideas that utilize it. Fortunately, they often lead to legitimately useful/non-earth-salting applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

It would have worked wonderfully at its intended purpose, and so isn't really ridiculous: Nuke us and we send this your way, so Do Not Nuke Us. This thing would have done Mach 3 at ground level, even the shockwave of its passage would have broken things.

The reason it wasn't built wasn't because people realized it was a dumb idea, it was because ICBMs turned out to be a lot easier to develop than expected. So stuff like this, and the nuclear-powered B-36 bomber (yes, that's right, a big fuckoff airplane with a nuclear reactor in it, it was actually built and actually flown with an operating nuclear reactor on board, although at that point in the R&D the reactor was just along for the ride, not actually keeping the plane in the air), ended up being canceled because if you did want to salt the earth there were easier ways that also couldn't be defended against.

Jesus, the Cold War was scary as hell.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yaoi prophet posted:

I remember having one of those! IIRC you sent files to your computer by plugging it in and hitting a 'send' button, and it would then essentially act as a keyboard 'typing' out the document very quickly.

That is adorable (well, as as ancient computing can be, anyway) if true.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ron Burgundy posted:

Also loving people on phones at dinner and during a conversation and poo poo. Obsolete technology: manners.

I hear ya- I will slap that poo poo out of your hand if you aren't paying attention.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

My god, is the center a ball-and-socket joint? I must say, I find that rather... perverse.

EDIT:

Alright, I guess it isn't strictly a ball-and-socket joint. But it effectively works like one, and you use it as a joystick.

That is loving insane.

Also this instructional video apparently came with the thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5K5_ZLbM-I

Monkey Fracas has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

Good lord. Good LORD.

The less you think about it, the better.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twitch posted:

I used to make really obnoxious "techno remixes" then give them misleading names and share them on Napster. It was funny every time.

You!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

Are you referring to Dataplay?

Man, this is way cooler than USB drives. Not as practical, certainly, but much cooler. It looks like something out of a 80s/90s scifi movie/TV show

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Next on the docket:

That's the BV 141, a German reconnaissance aircraft that was built and successfully flown, but lost out to the FW 189 for a production contract. It was decidedly stable and offered an incredibly wide field of visibility for the crew. It's not broken, that's the whole airplane. Earlier models had a full tailplane surface but they stripped it down to half to increase visibility a little more.

Jesus, it's like one of those hanging sculptures where the entire thing is stable due to meticulously calculated weight balances but looks decidedly unstable. This is a real wacky plane, is what I'm saying.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ol qwerty bastard posted:

And here's another Leno video about a car with a propulsion system that never caught on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs

If I could have any classic car, it would probably be a turbine car, because holy hell they are neat.

Oh man that's awesome They never even sold the thing- just awesome concept experimentation.

Also Jay Leno is approximately 500% less irritating when he's talking about cars and not trying to make jokes I hate.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BillyJoeBob posted:

The Ford Nucleon, featuring a miniature nuclear reactor used to drive a steam turbine.

I don't think you can get a more 1950's car.

This car is pretty much Fallout: The Car. It's got that "Yaaayyy nuclear power! Everything should be nuclear powered! My toaster has a small reactor in it! " vibe to it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

When the X-Ray was in it's infancy as a technology people would have parlor parties where they would gently caress around with unshielded X-Ray machines, exposing themselves to untold amounts of radiation.

"Look! I can see the bones in my hand! Now everyone else give it a go!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

onoflalks posted:

Ceefax was something I could put on because I was having bother sleeping

RIP Ceefax

This is the coolest drat thing It's like some retro-60's-era idea of what information delivery would be like in the future. I'm imagining one of these things:

with the guts ripped out and replaced with Ceefax.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fozaldo posted:

Lancia Orca

Nice feature on digital dashboards of the 80s over on DRB

Sweet mercy that's ugly. I can appreciate the utility of having all of the controls right there on the steering wheel, but it also shouldn't look like one of those toddler toys where the kid hits a button and it plays an animal noise or something.

I do find the digital gauges oddly compelling, though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Dear god, I need a "SPEED ALARM" for my car right away.

Also if any of those cars still existed in obtainable and driveable form, I would buy one just because.

They don't still exist do they...? Execpt in some weird nerds impregnable underground mountain fortress?

Maybe not enough time has passed for people collecting/restoring 80's cars to be a Big Thing?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Can't tell if that's sarcasm

But those cars don't strike me as the type anyone would want to collect or restore

It wasn't at first, but now it is. Seriously, gently caress most late 70's-through-the-80's designs. We did some awful things to four wheels with a combustion engine back then, drat.

There are some people who like the things, though. I saw this thing about people collecting AMC Gremlins that attempted to explain the draw of it, and I still failed to see whatever allure there was. They're fascinating, almost endearingly bad cars, but god just let 'em die. Not everything needs to be preserved.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Looking at those pictures reminded me of another obsolete car tech:

Automatic seat belts.

Man, those things are cool/terrifying but they seem a lot less safe than a seatbelt with a lap strap.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

Only the shoulder part is automatic. You still have to put on a lap belt.

So you still have to manually put on your seatbelt and there's a possibility of equipment failure that would render the single most important safety device in the car less than optimally operational? How did these things happen again?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

grainy16mm posted:

And speaking of VHS, I just recently completed my dead-format tower of power:

S-VHS, Betamax, CED, and Laserdisc.

Yessss, it is...

beautiful

I want a laserdisc for no good drat reason- those record-sized CDs are just so intriguing...

I guess they're not really "C" Ds at that size, though. More like "Gigantic"Ds. GDs.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lazlo Nibble posted:

The 4010 is a graphics terminal, not an oscilloscope.

They used Tektronix displays a lot in the original Battlestar Galactica...

Knew that looked familiar. Eh, I guess it could be any variety of futuristic-for-the-70's-looking thingy and I would say the same thing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DicktheCat posted:

Hey guys! Remember that old gun that I got excited about and said my gramps had one of? No? Well, why not?!

Of course, this one is in terrible condition and couldn't fire without some serious restoration. We did, after all, find it in a ditch.

Sorry for going off topic there. I just wanted to prove we actually had the damned thing. Also sorry that the pictures are kind of lovely. I don't have a real camera, just the ones built into my phone and kindle.

Might wanna take those pics down, yeah. But while they're up... drat who thought having an open magazine was a good idea.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

Okay, this is exceedingly stupid. I can see somebody designing this and thinking it's somehow a good idea, but what sort of nepotism was at play here that allowed it to actually be made?

Yeah, jesus- were there a bunch of spare airplane engines laying around they needed to use or something?

Why?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

German prototype 'Schneekrad' from 1936:

That thing is pretty drat SchneekRAD. drat I just like how it looks- like a 30's take on the 80's or something.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pilsner posted:

I'm installing this specialized car dealership software via a VM, originally written to run on a customized UNIX installation... by Germans. Looks like something from a B-movie:

Excellent... I've hacked into the US Government.

MWAHAHAHAHA

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Obsolete and failed (at least commercially):

The Connection Machines CM-2, anno 1987:

And its successor the CM-5, 1991:

Connection Machines were built around extreme multiprocessing. The CM-2 consisted of up to 65,000 single-bit processors, each with 4kbit of RAM. Additionally there was a floating point coprocessor per 32 processors. It had an external RAID enclosure storing a whopping 25 Gigabytes.

The CM-5 was a RISC-based supercomputer which bore little functional similarity to the CM-2, and is probably most known for its appearance in Jurassic Park.

Are the evil/cool red lights incidental to the design of the computer or did they want it to look like that?

Because it is awesome. It looks like a giant cheesy gamer rig or something.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Scanimate. An analog video effects computer from the '60s and '70s that worked by directly manipulating a video signal and re-recording the output from a screen at extremely high fidelity (preventing generation loss). It was heavily used in both television and films of the time, but I think that this groovy, epilepsy-triggering music video is the best demonstration of its capabilities.

Youtube link doesn't work (at least in the US). I looked up a Vevo stored one because I love Earth, Wind & Fire- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrle0x_DHBM.

Funky/Groovy as fuuuuck, man.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

A demo reel of the Scanimate. Warning: extreme 70s music!

So before I was born TV looked like one big neverending episode of Soul Train? I kinda feel like I got screwed here, man.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A cartoon elephant hardly seems appropriate for an educational poster about a chemical weapon.

...unless it is literally a fun chemical weapon...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

I have one of these:

feels pretty cyberpunk.

edit: oops image leeching

Oh man please tell me that little toggle switch there doesn't control any vital functions.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had an used one that I picked up for $100 off eBay (retailed for $4000 originally). Really cool hardware, but it always felt more like a proof of concept than an evolutionary design. And a bitch to install anything on as it had no floppy and no CD-ROM. I can't remember if it had ethernet. I think I may have had to use a PCMCIA card for that.

But that pales in comparison to the Canon NoteJet:

A laptop with a printer under the keyboard!

I shudder to think how finicky that printer was, my god.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guy Axlerod posted:

Also, previously in this thread we had some mall chat. Irondequoit Mall's management no longer heats the interior, and with Macy's closing in a month or two, Sears will be the only store remaining. The mall has flooded due to pipes bursting from the cold.

There's a mall around where I live that is still open but the only things actually open are the movie theater and the anchor stores. There are literally no other stores open.

BUT you can still walk around the place and the tiny food court bizarrely still has like half of the restaurants open. In December I went in there and they had erected an elaborate Christmas display that I could baaarrreely see from over by where the theater is.

Just weird to walk around the place- dim lighting, but there's still adult contemporary music being piped into the abandoned halls.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Now imagine if these were combined with the unholy 70s scourge of putting fake wood paneling on everything.

The 60's and 70's were pretty ugly decades in some respects, but always endearingly so somehow. Everything looked ugly but comfortable, I guess.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

You'd be surprised, that's how I found my car a couple years ago.

I actually found my (cheap for the area) apartment in the newspaper classifieds. Of course you can look at the classifieds online on the local paper's website soooo

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oh but also making the gearshift knob that gross wine-burgundy color would have just been too much. Might be a replacement, I guess.

Mother had a car with this interior when I was like 5 and that thing was hotter than hell in the summer.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Our enormous ham hands slick with Crisco have a hard time turnin' them there tiny keys OK!!?

It may be a safety measure tied in with making the barrel harder to turn.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

My car has a CD changer. It was obsolete when it was new.

I was really excited when I got my second car and it happened to come with a sweet sound system with a six disc changer in the head unit. Until I realized that I mostly listened to stuff off of my iPod/phone anyways. Oh well, thing has an mp3 function so you can cram a bunch of music onto one CD.

Then I realized the car had an AUX function literally built in but with no cable, so 15 bucks later and a few plugs into the back of the head unit I now have an AUX plugin. THE FUTURE

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I really hope nobody ever tries to steal my stereo since there is literally nothing stopping them except the intricate anti-theft measures of "have the strength of at least a toddler to remove faceplate, posses a screwdriver and 30 seconds".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

More often than not I just wind up listening to the radio anyways. Many types of storage media have become obsolete, but the thing invented before all of them is still around and a standard.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bury me... in my enormous projection teeveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

That article doesn't include the scrawled MSPaint-style can of soup.

"Computers, huh? But can I paint a can of soup with it?" *fumble fumble mouse* "Presto!"

I guess in my head Andy Warhol sounds like Jon Lovitz...

Wonder how much the computer that made this cost at the time.

"Dazzling soupcan doodle graphics power!"

3,000 USD MSRP