Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is a deliciously gritty and low-tech solution.

Plus you can use them as keys to giant doors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Varance posted:

That's not just an Atlanta thing. Most transit TVMs give change in $1 coins.

It pisses people off to no end when they buy a pass with a $20 bill, because what am I going to do with these 14-16 gold coins?

I love dollar coins because I keep my change in my pocket and a few of those can get me a coffee or a taco or whatever if I forgot my wallet!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Varance posted:

Not everyone wears clothing with pockets. Some people like to stuff money in their smartphone, their socks, their bra, etc.. Now try sticking a dozen dollar coins in there.

(That said, purchasing transit passes via app and credit card are now a widespread thing, so it's less of an issue these days.)

How do Europeans do it?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I got an aftermarket deck and use my phone with aux in, and Velcro my phone between the a.c. vents (98 Civic) so I can use my audio controls and GPS on the go.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

It's actually worse than that, so yeah - don't pair your phone with a rental.

What do they do don't beat around the bush Australian spook guy

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Didn't realize the canbus peripherals did so much logging, gonna buy another ancient car thanks for this ammo in my ongoing attempts to justify buying horrible vehicl edit do the manufacturers go along with this or are they just incredibly bad at security

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

Hi IUG.

Yeah mostly for my semi local community radio station.

Can probably stream it on your phone

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah took me a second but when days = 366 exactly it'd just keep while looping forever lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Remember when the iPhone’s visual voicemail was A Big Deal?

It's still Apple-only isn't it?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Can you install Linux?

(problem solved)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Buying brand-new laptops is obsolete and failed, in my opinion. Let the corporations buy laptops and discard them after a couple of years, so I can pick them up for next to nothing.

5 hour battery life is obsolete, new laptops double or triple that

Edit imo Arch is the Linux of choice for the discerning grognard in 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Guy who mentioned Duracell Thinkpad batteries, are there actually aftermarket laptop batteries that won't catch on fire or die in a month or just be outright fake? I've never heard of any but maybe they're real

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Pro click. It cruises at 60mph with no noise, grindy gears, smoke or steam. What an amazing machine.

Steampunk just totally misses what advanced steam tech could have been like. I wonder what gas mileage it gets.

If it's anything like a steamship the fuel economy is miserable

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pokey Araya posted:

My band uses the our atlas at least once a tour. Not much cell service when you take this route, but hopefully you loaded up on beer/snacks/an INFLATED spare.

Oh hey does that go through Lakeview? The road up from Winnemucca is super desolate, and I'm sure the stuff in NV is too.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If only car head unit stuff still mounted in a standard form factor like the 1 or 2 DIN stuff did, then we could just swap out Android touch screen mini computers all day

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like all I really want is a tablet in the radio slot that handles media and gps and doesn't tie internet in with things like "steering" or "brakes" and then separate physical controls for whatever. The best thing about using the phone is that it's not on the canbus or w/e with safety critical systems so no one can hack my airbags

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It doesn't even sound like the Pi mode is emulation, much less the FPGA only mode

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

do you know anything about what you are talking about

The juicer definitely used some macerated rear end fruit cocktail in juice lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

That's partially true about CAT machines. They're a premium brand and sell for a premium price. A huge reason contractors will pay for CAT machines is the parts and service network. Those machines require a ton of maintenance and undercarriage parts as part of their regular service. When they do break down it costs the contractor a ton of money every second that machine is down. CAT offers guaranteed 48 hour delivery on most parts almost anywhere in the world. Not to mention they have every blueprint for every part for every machine they've ever made. So even if the part isn't available anymore, it can still be reproduced. Been working for CAT in parts distribution for almost two decades. They make a fine machine but when they do break we get the parts out there faster than any other brand.

I don't know about the equipment side of things but this was very true with the marine engines, great parts network and everything was documented by serial number range. I wish I could get that level of clarity from other vendors - some manufacturers definitely make it hard to know exactly which poorly documented revision of a part you need. Doubly true for stuff built under license overseas.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I actually have one installed in my bus.

Hope I never have to have it activate, but only $100.

I found guys arguing over this on some VW forum for a million pages and it's like oh my God get a less flammable car

- posting from literally an oil tanker

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

The really old stuff had ashtrays mounted to the arms.

Asian built ships still have stuff like ashtrays on control room consoles, very sixties vibe from that.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sixty million pounds minimum a minute buys you a lot better downtime solutions than that, sheesh.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

I had to connect to a proprietary coffee vending machine. Was pulling my hair out until I realized it was expecting 7N1

Come now, I don't think shooting it qualifies as a fix!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

If your phone supports NFC you can put an adhesive RF tag in your phone holder and set the phone to perform tasks when it detects the tag, like unlock, connect to the phone's hotspot and launch Google Maps.

http://www.androidauthority.com/nfc-trigger-tasker-409686/

I think you can set it to do stuff when it connects to a Bluetooth device too, like my phone launches the driving app when it connects to my car speaker

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of touchscreen interfaces for automobile functions even if they were a 'good' design. I mean, CarPlay' s ok, but still could be a lot better, and there was a ton of work put into it.

I'm just thinking of the double-DIN stereo in my old Cadillac. It had great big knobs and large buttons and you could do anything while never taking your eyes off the road. I can understand that a lot of people who upgrade their stereo want 'technology' and blinking lights appeal to them, but there's gotta be a market for simple, elegant, good-quality car stereos for people who just want something that plays from BT, 1/8" aux-in and USB sticks.

Yeah those are young techie professionals, you sell them the stereo attached to a $3000 option attached to a $25000 car attached to lucrative financing

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Not necessarily that ancient. My elementary school was using mimeographs into the early 2000s due to being poor and having old teachers who knew how to work the mimeo but not the xerox.

Yeah we had purple copies, vinyl, and globes that showed the French Upper Volta in my elementary school too, and that was late 90s.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder if I salvaged my dad's old flowchart ruler or not. Even if I did it's buried in one of the dozens of boxes in my attic :(

AliExpress has all kinds of templates for everything from flowcharts to houses

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Libraries have tons of old stuff, it's like bro do you even ILL

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

If it’s for industry use why not just buy top of the line certified usb to r323 dongles?

Yeah this is how a lot of this equipment's own control or interface pcs talk to it now even

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Guys, at my new job in a newly built hospital, we have to use 90's pagers, no assigned hospital cellphones, loving pagers. It's legit the worst, sitting around waiting for people to call you back on a hard-line is the worst, i'm in hell.

Probably to keep cameras out

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

I used to love the 'no cameras' signs at industrial sites I would work for.

I loved watching the gate guards eyes light up when I have 3 DSLRs hanging off straps and my coworker has a video camera when we walked up to sign in. They ultimately won because I was creating my own hell: signing in on documentation I designed, watch a site induction I filmed the year prior, then do a eLearning test we also developed. Being the user of poo poo you make (and cannot have fun with most times due to corporate style guides and restrictions) is terrible. Then realising you are there to make an updated version of the exact same poo poo :(

I used to have to read a 14 page induction script verbatim to all visitors including our own people who had been to ten of our boats that day, it took over half an hour and they got it on every boat they visited, gently caress em for that policy. They said a video or audio presentation was out of the question because there was no way to get a sense of how engaged the visitor was with the process.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

My mother can't make a call without glasses and you're strawmannig the poo poo out of this.

Imagine a crisis situation where you need to dial a number:
1) Press to turn on the screen
2) Swipe
3) Enter device lock code (optional)
4) Forums with this thread full of bad opinions is open, so I hit the home button
5) Press the phone key
6) Swipe left to get the keypad tab
7) Enter "mom" you want to call via tiny on screen text keyboard
8) Call

On an button phone

1) button unlock
2) device lock code
3) press 6 three times (spells mom)
4) call

Or you can have a shortcut which cuts the smartphone to 5 steps and the old phone to 3. Extra steps aside you need to look at your smartphone while I can do those 3 steps in my pocket in a few seconds. With my last button phone it was actually a matter of holding down a programmed number key and confirm with a call button.

And since I'm using a smartphone since they are available, it's not a situation of me not being used to touchscreens. Touchscreens are good for browsing the internet and all that poo poo, but it's actually worse when you want to use your phone as a phone. gently caress the blind I guess but this poo poo for brains crusade against having dedicated function on a dedicated device is mind boggling.

I guess you can still buy a lovely rear end old phone that'll last charged for weeks when I actually need a phone but I thought for $1k smartphone you'd get that in the package.

Fuckers you look at that and go "this literally doesn't need improvement"

Ok Google, call Mom

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

d'aww

I think it's a thing people will find quaint in a couple of years - the time people put touchscreens on everything in the 2010s.

Or the joke's on me and I'll have to boot my VR rig to buy a train ticket.

Touchscreens are the cheapest, laziest, most profitable thing. They will never die.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think at some point you just have to abandon a given mechanical fallback, and as discussed with planes eventually people stop missing it. I work with camshaftless engines a lot lately and talk about trusting your controls and instrumentation

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

There's a reason planes have every individual nut traceable back to the manufacturer.

Ships don't have that, and they have limited redundancies and obviously due to size very limited manual fallbacks

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Late, but I sailed on what one of these ships was rebuilt into.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Esso_Brussels

A cotter pin failure lead to the Verrazano bridge getting burned and several deaths.

Crazy they made the sea witch engine room into the back of a chem tanker right

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

We have access to CNC and plasma cutters and a whole bunch of poo poo i don't even know what they are. Also it takes literally ages to make anything on a printer. But for a home scenario like that, sure. Had I known someone with a 3D printer I wouldn't have had to buy a new toaster last year.

e: The new toaster is very stylish though so all in all I can't complain.

3D printing is great if you need one-off plastic parts though, which in prototyping is like, a million percent of the time.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

If that XP machine predates ~2006, it's not gonna have hardware virtualization extensions (AMD-V or VT-X), and without hardware virtualization support, QEMU is dogshit garbage even on my top-spec 2017 Lenovo (ask me about default-disabled virtualization options!)

Also you're asking someone who just stopped making music rather than learn a new tool to learn a whole new operating system and how to use QEMU. JacquelineDempsey, that sounds harsher than I really intend it, but at some point you are either going to need to learn about virtualization to get your poo poo right, or you're gonna have to learn a new program. Except for the Thinkpad line, XP-era laptops are some of the cheapest jankiest garbage I can think of and all that cheap cheap grey plastic is just getting more and more brittle, the hard drives and CD-ROM drives are dying from sitting idle for years, etc.

There are literally heaps of working $8 XP era thinkpads all over at least

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Exit Strategy posted:

It's not even a "fun" thing most of the time - In professional IT, long practice is giving machines human-identifiable names so that whoever is using a set of servers can more succinctly identify problems to you and convey what they need. "Hey, Carbon's reading down but I can still ping it from Iron." is easier to work with than "Can you check 10.1.7.35? It's reading as down but I can still ping it from 10.1.7.36."

e: poo poo, if someone started feeding me IP addresses at my last IT job instead of human-legible server names I'd've asked if they were okay or needed a break or something.

Why not just the IT version of "Diesel Generator #1" which is human readable, professional, doesn't open you up to any liability for names from a problematic media franchise, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Much as Jerry Cotton is usually wrong, I’m pretty sure Intel was supporting the radiation-hardened 386s it was selling for critical applications at least until production ended in 2007. Products like that don’t go without support. Sadly it doesn’t seem to be on Ark to get the exact support status but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Intel would still support them now.

They'll support anything if you're a big enough customer with deep enough pockets won't they?