Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
My eclectic collection of obsolete tech:

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the Rio Karma. It was a 20 GB hard-drive based MP3 player notable for its support of FLAC and gapless playback of the electronica poo poo I listened to at the time.

I still have it, and should really see of it's worth anything.

I also went all-in for MiniDiscs, can't remember offhand if they did gapless or if it was another reason I wanted them. Had a portable recorder, car deck, and home component-sized recording deck.

The TI calculators own, and I think if I had started with RPN, I'd be a huge fanboy of the HP stuff. My dad had a HP calculator that was the size of a TI-89 and had four expansion slots, one of which interfaced with a thermal printer, I believe.

TurboGrafx16 owned, and I would have killed for the color portable that played the same cards as the full-sized console at the time when the original Game Boy was out (I think).

I had one of those electronic organizers in like 1995. It sucked.

Also still the proud owner of a Compaq iPaq along with a sleeve that housed a second battery and expansion slot. Was great for synced contact info and reading ebooks. Though I think I mainly read project gutenburg stuff that were essentially text files, my memory is hazy on that. I don't believe you could buy current releases.

I had an early model Samsung Blu-ray player that was always refusing to play discs because of firmware. Samsung was pretty reactionary with the firmware releases, they'd always be a month or two later than the movie releases. After a while they just stopped doing updates. Pretty frustrating to get your sweet Netflix new release on BD (when BD access didn't even cost more than a regular subscription) and have it just hang trying to load.

I shudder to think of what all that money would get me today if it was instead invested. I have one Rubbermaid organizer representing probably $4k in retarded technology spending. Maybe more.

uwaeve has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jan 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Falcon 1.0 on a Mac SE.

Brought to me by Gilman "Chopstick" Louie.

I still have the mini binder that served as the instruction manual for 4.0, it's incredible.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Not to interrupt the RIM hate, but from a few pages back there was some VCRchat.

In sometime like 1983-5, my dad bought a VHS camcorder/VCR combo. The VCR was split into two decks, one of which held the cassette. For using the camera. Like you were tethered to this huge europurse brick thing that weighed probably 30 pounds as you were trying to capture precious moments.

I can't find a good picture but you oldsters will know what I'm talking about.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Sounds like one of JVC's Vidstar portable systems:

The VHS monstrosity your dad had was actually the result of 15+ years of miniaturization and refinement — the first-gen version was launched as the Sony PortaPak in 1967 and used their old reel-to-reel CV format:

I'm pissed I can't find pictures but he thinks it was a JVC (though it didn't look too much like the JVC posted, the form factor was the same).

We figured out it was 1984 or 85, was probably >$2k, and weighed loving 40 pounds or something. The thing was, the camera was way larger than that 67 Sony thing, including what we are pretty sure was a tiny monochrome CRT. The thing was definitely a shoulder camera, like broadcast style. The tape deck was probably like 80% of the volume of that 67 Sony thing.

loving insanity.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Oh man, monitor chat! Years and years ago, I was sick of my "hire-someone-to-help-you-move-it" Trinitron (good god why were those things so loving heavy), so I bought this piece of hotness:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/17230,atec-neoview-al181.aspx

1280x1024, baby!

This slick motherfucker had a TV tuner and a USB hub built right into it, as well as built-in speakers and composite and s-video inputs. It was lightweight and had a handle on top (where the screen meets the pedestal), so if you needed to, you could just grab it and run. It saw many, many LAN parties, drunken vintage videogame fests, and even service as a backup studio display for our university's student TV station in a pinch.

It's also the only monitor I've ever owned that came with a remote.

I had it for a few years until I lost it in a burglary, and I still miss it. It was so goddamn versatile.

To be fair it's probably your fault for bringing your monitor to a robbery.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Keiya posted:

It's not really obsolete technology, but we found a nearly 200-year-old bible cleaning out my grandmother's house. That's kinda cool, right? (No photos because holy poo poo none of us want to touch it now that we know what it is)

Was it doing a good job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Lowen SoDium posted:

The best was Falcon 3.0

The game "box" was a 3 ring binder that contained all of the game manual.

That was 4.0
:goonsay:

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I played everything with joysticks, including Interstate 76 from beginning to end with a Thrustmaster FCS.

I miss that thing. I'm pretty sure my parents sold it in a garage sale while I was at school like 10 years ago. We had to call thrustmaster like three times to get replacement springs because I kept wearing them out / breaking them.

You needed the Thrustmaster F-22 with its cast metal baseplate and springs so strong there was no way to use the joystick without having the thing strapped down :cripes: